Squad Depth

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Let's see how his wonder players settle in over the season before we put him in the hall of fame.

There is still a hell of a long way to go in the season.

There have been times where we have been battering teams and then put in a stinking performance to draw 0-0 out of nowhere. 

A few horsings in the CL might hit their ego and put a spanner in the works.

Don't forget at this stage last year we were regarded as clear favourites and were in the lead in the league.

Hearts at home aside I can’t really remember us battering anybody in the league in the last 12 months. 

It’s ironic that you mention that we were favourites this time last year and then they signed 4/5 players in the window that improved the first 11. Kinda why everyone is a bit disappointed at our activity today. They made signings that turned the tide. We’ve been unconvincing so far and a blind man can see we need more quality in the final third. 

1 minute ago, westenclosure2008 said:

Hearts at home aside I can’t really remember us battering anybody in the league in the last 12 months. 

It’s ironic that you mention that we were favourites this time last year and then they signed 4/5 players in the window that improved the first 11. Kinda why everyone is a bit disappointed at our activity today. They made signings that turned the tide. We’ve been unconvincing so far and a blind man can see we need more quality in the final third. 

Tillman, Lawrence and Colak have been probably our 3 best players this season so far...

16 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Tillman, Lawrence and Colak have been probably our 3 best players this season so far...

Don’t disagree with that yet we’re still struggling to create chances away from home in the league. We need more than what we are seeing. Going back to my point earlier when was the last time we humped anybody? We should be steamrolling the majority of teams in the SPL home and away.  

Qualify for the champions league and not one good starter in the door. Would have thought they’d have identified at least one positive player to enhance the squad. Either they haven’t somehow or it’s sheer greed from the board considering the income from Europa run, champions league qualification., Bassey, Aribo and Patterson transfers.

9 minutes ago, CR3 said:

Qualify for the champions league and not one good starter in the door. Would have thought they’d have identified at least one positive player to enhance the squad. Either they haven’t somehow or it’s sheer greed from the board considering the income from Europa run, champions league qualification., Bassey, Aribo and Patterson transfers.

We were due at least a decent striker towards the end of the window there mate. Fuck knows what it is they're thinking.

31 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

The manager has been hung out to dry by his bosses tonight. GVB done a outstanding job getting us to the europa league final. He delivered again to get us into the champions league. He deserved 1 or 2 higher calibre players to allow us to kick onto another level and importantly gaurntee champions league money again next summer... Instead we've chosen to gamble I hope GVB can deliver again. 

The only thing I'm sure about in all this is that GvB isn't a rat like Gerrard was. He'll make it work.

2 hours ago, KingKirk said:

The manager has been hung out to dry by his bosses tonight. GVB done a outstanding job getting us to the europa league final. He delivered again to get us into the champions league. He deserved 1 or 2 higher calibre players to allow us to kick onto another level and importantly gaurntee champions league money again next summer... Instead we've chosen to gamble I hope GVB can deliver again. 

Recruiting to the SPFL isn't easy, and I feel like we spurned a chance to offer Champions League games to someone a level above.

There are clear gaps in the squad which might all come at once as a problem next season.  GVB can't be happy about it, he has some squad players he obviously doesn't rate.

Fuck knows what's happening on the contract front, absolutely fucking mind blowing if this is all about a business model, and then to watch contracts run down if they won't sign a new one.

58 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

This is the best explanation of what I was trying to say. great thread

But we have been talking about a player trading model for years so we should be looking for a 20m plus sale at least every other year. This coupled with regular UCL participation should mean 100m can be achieved not every year but maybe 1 in 3 at least. 

5 hours ago, KingKirk said:

It’s not even a gamble. We won’t win the league as it stands. Apart from maybe Morelos none of the injured players will be back for weeks, looks like Roofe is training but he’ll be weeks away yet too. 
We are an injury or suspension away from being completely screwed. Anything happens the likes of Goldson or Colak and we are fucked at both ends of the pitch. Sands and King ? Might have decent futures but two small centre half’s and our frailty at corners !! 
Even with everyone fit we still lack a creative midfielder and decent right sided player. 
We struggle to break down the pish in this league and are always likely to concede. Teams won’t even have a go at celtic because they know they will get overrun- they have so many options going forward - teams will always concede 2 or 3 to them. 
Strongest 11 v Strongest 11 we are fairly equal in the games between each other but our injury record is awful. 
If we could somehow be no further behind after the next three away league games I’d be delighted but given the paper thin squad and added CL games it’ll be a miracle if they don’t extend their lead over the next few weeks. 
To me it’s job done for the board - banked a lump of cash and would probably be happy with a cup win. They’ve fucked us over 

I’m pretty raging at Rangers for the lack of transfer activity post CL qualification, but our wage bill is high right now and until some of the deadwood is shifted there’s an issue with wages to turnover going forward (not just this very high turnover year).

Wonder if the plan is to get some of those big earning guys who are out of contract, Kent, Helander, Jack. Arfield, Morelos, Davis, McGregor, off the books next summer and then reinforce.

Fuck knows, think I’m trying to justify it, but still annoyed. 

2 minutes ago, gj923 said:

But we have been talking about a player trading model for years so we should be looking for a 20m plus sale at least every other year. This coupled with regular UCL participation should mean 100m can be achieved not every year but maybe 1 in 3 at least. 

A 20m plus sale is a rare thing from the Scottish leagues. It may happen more as the money in football continues to rise but currently its unusual. We managed to get great prices for Patterson and Bassey but we haven’t capitalised on Kamara/Kent/Morelos/ and I would argue we were forced into underselling Aribo 

we are just getting started on sustainability models and I think this might be a hard one for fans to swallow. 

1 hour ago, Bakbear said:

This is the best explanation of what I was trying to say. great thread

At what point does prudence become negligence given the glaring deficiencies?

It's a bigger gamble to think our current squad is enough, than it is to go spend some money on (for example) a proper RW when you consider the reward for winning the league again this year is automatic CL qualification. 

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

I’m pretty raging at Rangers for the lack of transfer activity post CL qualification, but our wage bill is high right now and until some of the deadwood is shifted there’s an issue with wages to turnover going forward (not just this very high turnover year).

Wonder if the plan is to get some of those big earning guys who are out of contract, Kent, Helander, Jack. Arfield, Morelos, Davis, McGregor, off the books next summer and then reinforce.

Fuck knows, think I’m trying to justify it, but still annoyed. 

Agreed. But it's up to Rangers to shift the deadwood though? It's their fault that the wage bill is so high with players who offer nothing/not enough and their responsibility for us to be in a position where we are not trapped by a bloated squad.

Just now, Bristoe1872 said:

If we go five points behind Savco on Saturday the board are going to get serious flak. I think it's shocking we haven't addressed the striker or centre half position. 

If we had made 25 signings and gone 5 behind them everyone would get it stinking.

we have 6 centre halves it’s been addressed, injuries and personal issues (very serious ones) are no fault of anyone.

Just now, RFC55 said:

If we had made 25 signings and gone 5 behind them everyone would get it stinking.

we have 6 centre halves it’s been addressed, injuries and personal issues (very serious ones) are no fault of anyone.

Considering the cash that's been brought on I think it's scandalous we are going with one fit striker. Imo Gio has been hung out to dry. We played Ryan Jack at centre half FFS. 

2 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Everyone knew Helander, Souttar, Roofe etc. are all very injury prone before they signed. 

Just now, WilliamMunny said:

Strikers and central defenders aren't the issue.

We have one fit striker and played Jack at centre half the other night. Sorry but considering the money that's been brought in it's shocking we never added to the squad. Huge gamble 

12 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

At what point does prudence become negligence given the glaring deficiencies?

It's a bigger gamble to think our current squad is enough, than it is to go spend some money on (for example) a proper RW when you consider the reward for winning the league again this year is automatic CL qualification. 

It’s a tightrope for sure. But a balance needs to be struck. 

as pointed out in the thread, we ran at a loss of 80 million in previous years. Funded by benevolent shareholders. That can’t continue and there has to be counter balance to that. 

We brought in 7 players. Will they all work out? absolutely not but the target has to be more work out that’s don’t. 

I still believe we have enough to win this league. 

1 minute ago, Bristoe1872 said:

We have one fit striker and played Jack at centre half the other night. Sorry but considering the money that's been brought in it's shocking we never added to the squad. Huge gamble 

Morelos will be back, maybe not this weekend, but probably for Ajax. Roofe in training apparently. We have King Sands Goldson currently fit at CB with Davies and Souttar hopefully back soon. I think we are covered.