Squad Depth

30 minutes ago, RangersMedia Dingwall said:

A few really baffling things for me.

1. Yilmaz. I'm not writing him off and he could be fantastic. But why was a LB prioritised as the key position to spend our biggest outlay of the window when we have a capable LB in Barisic, who was never close to leaving.

2. Sakala. Turned our noses up at decent money from Burnley when he's clearly not rated by Gio and the money brought in could have been used to replace him with a better fit.

That's without getting into the contract extensions before the Season kicked off. The CM situation is wild, the average age is frightening.

The less said about RW the better.

1. capable of arse collapsing moments at any given time. 
2. have to regard 3m story as gamesmanship either on our part or his agent.  

We don't have enough quality to compete over a 38 game season without adding in Europe and cups. That's not to say we can't win it, but the odds aren't in our favour and the fact that we haven't signed a GK, creative CM and quality RW genuinely baffles me to the point that I assume Champions League qualification was our only goal this season.

I know it’s a really fucking basic and straightforward question but, if they’re big spending at least some of the CL money on the squad, what ARE they spending it on? And what does that say about the state we would be in if we didn’t qualify?

36 minutes ago, Bydo said:

I know it’s a really fucking basic and straightforward question but, if they’re big spending at least some of the CL money on the squad, what ARE they spending it on? And what does that say about the state we would be in if we didn’t qualify?

CL money, Europa league money , player sales, compensation and ticket sales  and we still can’t add quality. It’s worrying the state we would have been in without all that 

How many years have we heard the mantra:  budget for the worst, aim and hope for the best.

Then when the best becomes reality and we guarantee CL riches, wtf do we stick with the squad we had when planning for the worst?

And no chance did we speculate to accumulate already in overspending, given what we have raked in so far.

For me last season was huge given the Cl cash for the winner. Thought if we didn’t win the league we’d fall behind celtic. 
The Europa league cash softened the blow but making the CL beating PSV  felt huge. Hardly turned out that way - they strengthen and we stand still 

7 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

It looks strong on paper, but there 4 or 5 on longterm sick that really leaves us short. 

This is the point. We have a lot of potential strength until you realize we have a huge amount of players (big players) not squad fillers who are either injured for months or are more difficult to find than Lord Lucan.

We know around half of them, or slightly more will be out again just after returning, as well.

I think it's a bit of a slap in the face that we've not gone for another quality addition after qualifying for the CL.

That said, I've got confidence in the existing squad. If the wheels come off by the time this tricky run of away fixtures is over then fair enough, it's a mistake not to have invested more.

3 hours ago, GersInCanada said:

The board think that having Gio spend some money to bring in players he likes will do for now. There must be money in the bank so we buy again in January if we have to.

This buying Jan. smacks of desperation. That mob bought 3 players in in the window last winter after having the transfer deadline manipulated to suit their cause because they had injuries and needed players in,,,,,,,,,,badly. It was a desperation move that worked for them to an extent.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if there's a hidden debt that we are not aware of that has hindered funds being used here.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we've bid for someone but the asking price is too high so the Club have said why pay that when we can offer them a pre contract in Jan. The trouble with that argument is we need help in certain areas now not in Jan. or next season.

The Club is riddled with injuries right now and should we pick up some more between now and the end of Nov. then the lack of movement in the transfer market just now is a massive gamble which , if it goes pear shaped that isn't worth the risk imo.

People are absolutely mental, you would think we played in La Liga or the EPL, our squad is more than enough to dominate domestically.

It might be frustrating to not bring anyone else in right now, but we have to be realistic 1 or 2 players at the budget range we look at won't guarantee progression from our UCL group. We also shouldn't need them to beat the absolute dross in our league. 

We go with our more than adequate squad and then see what we can do in January.

celtic are better than last season -spent a lot and won’t drop as many points as they did pre Christmas. Their goal difference is already 20 vs our 11.

So it’s going to be close to the 100 point mark to win the title.

We’ve already dropped points. So the board have to ask the question is this squad as it is good enough to only drop points in 5 or 6 matches from here?

Surely they know it’s not. So very  puzzling that we haven’t gone after at least one quality attacking player. We won’t win the league with Matondo or Wright lining up regularly. 

It’s a shame. Because if we had managed to land that real bit of quality, the rest of the team is probably good enough to do it. But I fear we will fall short now.

We haven’t done a good enough job of moving the squad filler players on. We have a lot of 6/10 players. Taking up wages. And short of really quality in the starting eleven in one or two places.

5 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I've not been keeping up to date today but assuming it's definite no-one else is coming in that's absolutely mental irrespective of the size of the current squad.

Evander or Barkley at least ffs.

Smacks of little ambition.

They better hope we win the league because if we don't they will need to batton down the hatches.

6 minutes ago, dazzareyes said:

People are absolutely mental, you would think we played in La Liga or the EPL, our squad is more than enough to dominate domestically.

Because they have made a blinding job of that already. 

the reason for panic and frustration is that many of us have read this script before. 

The money this club has made since the turn of the year to what we have invested in the sqaud leaves a lot to be desired. 

We made a Europa league final last season and have guaranteed champions league football . We should have been building from a position of strength and pushing on from that but like 55 the board appear to have instead chose to want to stand still. 

10 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

GK : McLaughlin / McGregor / McCrorie

RB : Tav / Devine

CB : Goldson / Souttar / Helander

CB : Davies / Sands / King

LB : Barisic / Ridvan

CM : Lundstrum / Jack

CM : Kamara / Davis / McCann

RW : Matundo / Wright / Hagi

CAM : Tillman / Arfield / Lowry

LW : Kent / Lawrence / Sakala

ST : Colak / Morelos / Roofe

Aye, okay, I get Matundo has to improve slightly on what we have seen so far, but I'm not writing him off yet.

We still IMO have the strongest squad we have had in over a decade IMO.

Our second team would convincingly come 3rd in the SPFL.

They are favourites for the league, but I don't think things are nearly as bad as many are making out. Keep it together and there is nothing to say we won't be up there at the end of the season.

Based on what?