Squad Depth

This. Some of our signings got up and running and some of them havent done that just yet. Too early to write the whole season off. We just qualified for the CL for the first time in 12 years after an away win in Eindhoven ffs. Yes, paedos are looking dangerous, but they WILL lose points. We just have to make sure that they start losing them on saturday. 

As it stands the filth have got to be favourites for the league. I don’t know how that can be acceptable. We were streets ahead of them at December last year.

I wonder if we will look back at the qualification for the CL as a wasted opportunity. Still time I suppose but I doubt we’ll get the player or players who will swing things our way again.

5 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

You’re ignoring the mass amount of injuries 

I don't think we should be going out and buying players to cover for probable short term injuries.

Helander and Roofe are completely unreliable, but we have essentially replaced them with Davies and Colak. We just can't really punt them as no-one wants them.

Lawrence, Davies, Souttar and Morelos will hopefully be back shortly, but I think we all expect Souttar to have issues throughout the season.

Rather than going out to buy or loan someone in to cover for a temp issue, we should lean on players like King, Lowry and McCann.

Yes we have got a bad run of injuries, but it's not like we are struggling to put players into the roles.

Sakala, Devine,McCann possibly King and Lowry will only get minutes on the pitch for the type of game we had midweek or towards the end of games when we are comfortably in the lead.  Others are not reliable due to injuries or getting back to fitness. I think if we don't get at least a central midfielder and a striker we could struggle if anymore injuries or loss of form emerge as the season progresses. 

I just wonder if the lack of movement comes from Gio being happy with what he's got or the targets being put forward not being good enough. 

1 hour ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

GK : McLaughlin / McGregor / McCrorie

RB : Tav / Devine

CB : Goldson / Souttar / Helander

CB : Davies / Sands / King

LB : Barisic / Ridvan

CM : Lundstrum / Jack

CM : Kamara / Davis / McCann

RW : Matundo / Wright / Hagi

CAM : Tillman / Arfield / Lowry

LW : Kent / Lawrence / Sakala

ST : Colak / Morelos / Roofe

Aye, okay, I get Matundo has to improve slightly on what we have seen so far, but I'm not writing him off yet.

We still IMO have the strongest squad we have had in over a decade IMO.

Our second team would convincingly come 3rd in the SPFL.

They are favourites for the league, but I don't think things are nearly as bad as many are making out. Keep it together and there is nothing to say we won't be up there at the end of the season.

Tough one. If all those players were and stayed available you would be confident. However we always seem to have at least 4-5 long term injuries to what you would consider first choice players.

We all said we needed to stop bloating the squad and go after quality, even more so being in the CL now and, sadly, we haven’t done it. Squad still bloated and lacks an improvement in the quality if compared with last season’s squad.  Not resolving the contractual issues with Kent and Morelos (yet) are mismanagement as well. 

One of the things we also have to build in is the fact that we have had a far busier start to the season to them with having to navigate multiple rounds in Euro qualifying.

Realistically, we are likely to be out of Europe by Christmas this year with the group we got. As much as this is a negative, it will surely help with fatigue in the latter half of the season.

11 minutes ago, steven33jackie said:

Sakala, Devine,McCann possibly King and Lowry will only get minutes on the pitch for the type of game we had midweek or towards the end of games when we are comfortably in the lead.  Others are not reliable due to injuries or getting back to fitness. I think if we don't get at least a central midfielder and a striker we could struggle if anymore injuries or loss of form emerge as the season progresses. 

I just wonder if the lack of movement comes from Gio being happy with what he's got or the targets being put forward not being good enough. 

I honestly think if he was going to get more players in, he’d have done it by now.

id like to think he’ll be spending the day looking at his team, formation and tactics today.

don’t want another distraction signing like we did with Ramsay 2 days before we played the tarriers at their park. 

1 hour ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

GK : McLaughlin / McGregor / McCrorie

RB : Tav / Devine

CB : Goldson / Souttar / Helander

CB : Davies / Sands / King

LB : Barisic / Ridvan

CM : Lundstrum / Jack

CM : Kamara / Davis / McCann

RW : Matundo / Wright / Hagi

CAM : Tillman / Arfield / Lowry

LW : Kent / Lawrence / Sakala

ST : Colak / Morelos / Roofe

Aye, okay, I get Matundo has to improve slightly on what we have seen so far, but I'm not writing him off yet.

We still IMO have the strongest squad we have had in over a decade IMO.

Our second team would convincingly come 3rd in the SPFL.

They are favourites for the league, but I don't think things are nearly as bad as many are making out. Keep it together and there is nothing to say we won't be up there at the end of the season.

Injuries are crippling us though and squad wise we haven’t really improved from last season given Aribo, Bassey and Balogun are away. 
The players missing look to be weeks to months away yet and we have three of the toughest away fixtures coming up in the league plus really tough CL games. 
If we fall too far behind celtic we’ll struggle to catch them because they will drop next to nothing. They’ve continually strengthened while we look like we are going with what we have.

As things stand we won’t win the title with this squad. 

1 hour ago, leam_baw said:

People are over reacting. We have a far stronger squad than the dhims. We have the crux of a squad that got to a European final and we’ve spent big. Once injuries are sorted, we are very strong and will motor on to the league title. They’ve not improved their starting 11

I’d say midfield and defensively when all fit we definitely do but their front 6 options can all score goals and that’s what we lack

3 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Too many of our squad don’t contribute anything that’s the problem, we know we have a strong squad on paper but when you take away the injured like Lowry, Hagi, Lawrence the perma injured like Helander and Roofe and the not good enough like Sakala and Wright (jury very much still out on Matondo) then we only have about 15/16 who are contributing. 

Spot on , we have a huge squad but its not a good enough squad for the next 4 months.