Ross Wilson Joins Nottingham Forest - Confirmed

Canabear

I'm in the same camp as everyone else in being happy to see the back of him but playing devils advocate here, Michael Beale seems to have a really good relationship with him and he also seemed to be really excited and positive about summer signings.

My worry would be if Wilson goes to Forest he takes that knowledge with him, and he'd know the kind of transfer fee and wage our summer targets are looking for, last thing we need is getting gazumped for our first choice targets.

Also if guys like Cantwell and Raskin have any kind of clauses in their contract then that's another thing he could be all over.

On the face or it I'm happy if he goes but I think these are downsides we need to acknowledge as well.

6 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

I'm in the same camp as everyone else in being happy to see the back of him but playing devils advocate here, Michael Beale seems to have a really good relationship with him and he also seemed to be really excited and positive about summer signings.

My worry would be if Wilson goes to Forest he takes that knowledge with him, and he'd know the kind of transfer fee and wage our summer targets are looking for, last thing we need is getting gazumped for our first choice targets.

Also if guys like Cantwell and Raskin have any kind of clauses in their contract then that's another thing he could be all over.

On the face or it I'm happy if he goes but I think these are downsides we need to acknowledge as well.

A good contract/sports lawyer and a decent chief scout would be a better option.

As for getting gazumpted that’s nonsense our targets might differ widely in terms of position and budget 

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

I’d argue we should get rid of that role altogether. 
There’s nothing to suggest we have benefitted in any way. It’s a fake role that makes you a “modern “ club. 
We have been really successful without such a role 

Nope, it's imperative in modern football - particularly for a club like us who don't have huge amounts of money.

With managers in football staying in jobs for shorter periods of time than years gone by, we can't afford to chop and change players solely based upon a new manager's tactical preferences and desires. 

Done properly, a DOF ensures that the team has a coherent tactical approach and philosophy that spans beyond the reign of one manager and ensures that when a new coach takes over the players there will generally be suitable to his needs. Obviously a manager may have individual targets and the club can choose to pursue these if they fit the team's overall philosophy.

Football has changed and there's a reason basically every top club operates like this. 

3 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

A good contract/sports lawyer and a decent chief scout would be a better option.

As for getting gazumpted that’s nonsense our targets might differ widely in terms of position and budget 

You say it's nonesense then say "might differ" 🤦‍♂️

That's the point, just like you I don't know who our targets are, they might very well differ from what Forest want but if they don't then we'd be competing with a club that knows our hand before we play it.

I'm basing this train of thought on Forest being a Championship club next season or course.

20 minutes ago, SonicWill said:

Nope, it's imperative in modern football - particularly for a club like us who don't have huge amounts of money.

With managers in football staying in jobs for shorter periods of time than years gone by, we can't afford to chop and change players solely based upon a new manager's tactical preferences and desires. 

Done properly, a DOF ensures that the team has a coherent tactical approach and philosophy that spans beyond the reign of one manager and ensures that when a new coach takes over the players there will generally be suitable to his needs. Obviously a manager may have individual targets and the club can choose to pursue these if they fit the team's overall philosophy.

Football has changed and there's a reason basically every top club operates like this. 

What a lot of nonsense - each manager that appears has a different style of play and philosophy he stamps that on the club that’s why they get the bullet when they loose, play shite, etc   

and

How has football changed? It’s still a squad of 25ish and 11 players kicking a ball about ffs

It’s a bollox position that reaps nothing much.  
ask the fat Australian how he is doing without a DOF. 

Give me a contracts lawyer and a solid scouting department any day 

1 hour ago, NixonRFC said:

If they stay in the prem they will be shopping in a very different market to us and given his record I wouldn’t be too worried about it anyway.

Cantwell or Raskin haven’t done nearly enough to get a move to the prem yet. Concerning yourself about nothing. 

Just now, JackAlex93 said:

His tenure at Ibrox has been a disaster. Be glad to see him go if true

On paper it's been decent tbf mate league champions, Europa league finalists his transfer record in his time tho has been poor tbh. 

Still dunno how I feel tbh massive upheaval so close to the summer what if any effect will this have on recruitment. 

You'd like to think if we plan to stay with a DOF we'd be well down the road in sourcing a replacement. Who has a say in that the manager obviously those two need to have a solid relationship etc. 

11 minutes ago, Gazzalivesforever said:

Southampton fans absolutely despise him for the mess he left them in. We absolutely hate him for the shite he's brought in. How can the forest owner look at his transfer history at his two previous clubs and think yeah I'll have a bit of that.

Didn’t they sign something mental like 25+ players in the summer 😅

weirdo club 

11 minutes ago, Gazzalivesforever said:

Southampton fans absolutely despise him for the mess he left them in. We absolutely hate him for the shite he's brought in. How can the forest owner look at his transfer history at his two previous clubs and think yeah I'll have a bit of that.

Probably because the Forrest owner is an absolute lunatic of an owner :lol: