***** The official Rangers v Greenock Morton league cup match thread *****

3 hours ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Won the game but it was another turgid display. 

First half was eye bleeding bad. Matondo only one trying to do anything. 

2nd half bit better once the subs were made. No coincidence 2nd game we've looked better with wingers and pace introduced. 

Games like today should be comfortable at best. Yet we've had to scrape a win. Not good enough if we want to be winning silverware.

Agree.

I think Beale made far too many changes.

Morton aren't mugs and made a game of it.

3 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Agree.

I think Beale made far too many changes.

Morton aren't mugs and made a game of it.

Morton are absolute dog shite. It's frightening how hard we make it against absolute dross. Today was yet another indication of how poor our squad is.

1 hour ago, bam74 said:

Morton are absolute dog shite. It's frightening how hard we make it against absolute dross. Today was yet another indication of how poor our squad is.

Despite the poor tactics and complete lack of game plan, I thought we created lots of chances, we were unlucky not to score a few and there were some positives moving forward.  But I'm not sure I trust Beale to be able to get things right tactically.  He sets us up to play in a way that doesn't suit the players he picks or signs.

5 hours ago, MVRanger said:

We actually need to play our best 11 consistently for a few games to get into a proper rhythm. I fear PSV is coming a little early but at a raucous Ibrox on Tuesday we will get a real indication of where we are at.

What is our best 11 though? Beale doesn’t seem to know. The signings have been underwhelming to say the least. 

16 hours ago, J-Maestro said:

I think our signings look decent, just the system is fucking awful.

My mate said the same thing different players but the same staid, slow build up.

This must be coming from the coaching staff.

Theres no other answer.

And why hamstring yourself without any width, it’s effin crazy.

16 hours ago, J-Maestro said:

I think our signings look decent, just the system is fucking awful.

This Is exactly the problem… as soon as we switched formation (343), we looked much better, threatening to score with every move…. It has nothing to do with Morton tiring because after 10-15 mins of some good football and near misses, we changed back into our usual shape and Morton came back into the game for the last 10 minutes. 

Another issue for the game was Sterling…. Clearly not the most comfortable in the final 3rd so why did the manager not play with someone on the right side (Sima) to help him out with that. He did it on the left for Yfeko, who looked very good with Matondo ahead of him, whereas Sterling not so much…. Surely Beale has seen that Sterling is not the great at attacking and would need some support with that aspect…. We must play to our players strengths and not hang them out to dry. 

12 hours ago, bam74 said:

Have to disagree on the absolute dog shit comment. Since there new manager has came in he has done well with them. They have not lost a game at Cappielow in the last 7 games and only lost a handful of games since the turn of the year. They are a decent mid table championship side and these teams will cause problems for any of the SPL due to the low block and how dirty they can be. Was always going to be a tough match yesterday and a slog especially with how poor we have been 

21 minutes ago, BlueVanguard said:

Have to disagree on the absolute dog shit comment. Since there new manager has came in he has done well with them. They have not lost a game at Cappielow in the last 7 games and only lost a handful of games since the turn of the year. They are a decent mid table championship side and these teams will cause problems for any of the SPL due to the low block and how dirty they can be. Was always going to be a tough match yesterday and a slog especially with how poor we have been 

Fair play mate, I'm normally optimistic but I just don't now which way this goes at the moment, could come good or be a total disaster 😀 

1 hour ago, BlueVanguard said:

Amazing the excuses we can make for Rangers being pish.