Goldson or Souttar

stewaj3

Lots of us would probably like to see a new cb in with Davies going out...

The question I have is... if we signed one..

Who would you drop? Or would it be a case of the new cb needs to warm the bench for a while first?

I don't think I'd drop Goldson or Souttar right now...but would definitely welcome someone to come in and compete.

Goldson is the better CB. Souttar is improving and I like what he offers us in possession as well. But still has a few slip ups here and there to iron out. Would be very happy to have them both starting for the season if they remained fit.

Where is the back 5 chat coming from? Has Beale shown inclination towards it or just people guessing?

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Goldson is still the best cb at the club.

I think its really close.. Souttar brings a lot to that position. His ability with the ball is the best we've seen in a long time for a cb...

I think he's still got a few mistakes in him though is maybe the biggest negative?

Just now, stewaj3 said:

I think its really close.. Souttar brings a lot to that position. His ability with the ball is the best we've seen in a long time for a cb...

I think he's still got a few mistakes in him though is maybe the biggest negative?

They all do tbh, Goldson has had more than a fair share of howlers. At our level it's to be expected 

2 hours ago, stewaj3 said:

Lots of us would probably like to see a new cb in with Davies going out...

The question I have is... if we signed one..

Who would you drop? Or would it be a case of the new cb needs to warm the bench for a while first?

I don't think I'd drop Goldson or Souttar right now...but would definitely welcome someone to come in and compete.

Goldson is still ahead for me.

Souttar has this bad habit of looking terrific for just about the whole game, but switching off for a second. Could argue since he’s come in he’s been directly at fault for about half a dozen very soft goals.

Could quite easily have been punished for it again on Saturday.

Has all the tools, but needs to maintain concentration. 

Goldson is the better defender, and comfortably so, imo. However, having been firmly in the ‘why the fuck have we signed Souttar’ camp, he’s certainly a far better player than I gave him credit for. He brings the ball out well from defence which gives us more options that Goldson’s long passes, and he reads balls coming into the box very well. He does, though, have a howler in him - the next two games will be very telling.

4 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

I want to see a back 3 with John Souttar able to ste up almost into midfield when we have the ball particularly at home domestically leaving 2 back. 

This could work really well - depending on the opponent. Less important but I also think Yfeko could develop into a really solid option playing on the left side of a back three.