Ridvan Yilmaz

34 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Just not seeing it with him at all. 

Very good assist and I like his forward thinking approach, but just don't think he's very good. 

First half especially he was constantly giving it away. 

Agreed, he’s playing well enough to hopefully recoup some money and see him get a move back to Turkey for example. 

We’re still desperate for a good, consistent, starting left back. 

I must be missing something. Far too small and lightweight to be a defender. Passing woeful. Today looked like Tav on the left, constantly out of position and no where near his man. Got away with it against the shite that is Kilmarnock. Will not stand up against a decent team. Never a Rangers player. 

5 minutes ago, will2203 said:

I must be missing something. Far too small and lightweight to be a defender. Passing woeful. Today looked like Tav on the left, constantly out of position and no where near his man. Got away with it against the shite that is Kilmarnock. Will not stand up against a decent team. Never a Rangers player. 

Not comparing him clearly to these people but height at a full back is irrelevant.

I’m sure Roberto Carlos, Luke Shaw, Trippier and Jordi Alba have had decent careers. And that’s just ones I can think off of the top of my head

2 hours ago, AGM_72 said:

This for me. He's shown some promising signs but I think we need someone more reliable. 

The fact Armstrong was hooked early in the second half tells you how good a job he done on him. Said in the match thread, he's direct and gets into nice positions but can be so careless with his first touch and passing. Can quickly bounce from 'he's a player' to 'he's hopeless' over the course of a game. 

I do feel slightly sorry for the guy that's he's never had a proper run at the position, often due to injury. 

Like half of our team tbh :lol:  I thought he did well today but I would be looking at hopefully punting him back, getting our money back and trying a different option and hopefully having some cash to reinvest elsewhere in the side.

21 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Not comparing him clearly to these people but height at a full back is irrelevant.

I’m sure Roberto Carlos, Luke Shaw, Trippier and Jordi Alba have had decent careers. And that’s just ones I can think off of the top of my head

Is Luke Shaw not about 6’2?

I don't know with him. He's never really had an extended run in the side and there must be reasons for that if he can't displace Barasic. Would be ironic if we sold him now as yesterday was his best game I've seen him for us and looks transformed in recent weeks. It's like something has just clicked. He's small yes but definitely wasn't bullied yesterday and you'd think a team like Kilmarnock would be the kind of game where they'd be trying that. He seems highly valued in Turkey and it's tempting to cash in but if he continues as he is might be able to add a bit more to his price and see where we are in the summer.

47 minutes ago, holdnudgehold said:

I don't know with him. He's never really had an extended run in the side and there must be reasons for that if he can't displace Barasic. Would be ironic if we sold him now as yesterday was his best game I've seen him for us and looks transformed in recent weeks. It's like something has just clicked. He's small yes but definitely wasn't bullied yesterday and you'd think a team like Kilmarnock would be the kind of game where they'd be trying that. He seems highly valued in Turkey and it's tempting to cash in but if he continues as he is might be able to add a bit more to his price and see where we are in the summer.

Playing well as he knows clubs are in for him?

51 minutes ago, holdnudgehold said:

Strange. Why not keep him if he’s playing well?

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

Strange. Why not keep him if he’s playing well?

That's the dillema. If this is how he's going to perform from now on then good. Just not seen it enough in whats been a problem position for us. On the other hand if he's got market value then maybe can get a better replacement with the money. 

5 hours ago, ayrshireranger said:

Eric Caldow was 5'9, Tiger Shaw probably 5'5/5'6.

In an era when every other person in the country was considerably shorter too, so not really relevant.

The average height of a WW1 British soldier was 5ft5" (most Scots were even smaller) and now it's 5ft 10". Most people reading this are taller than their parents and grandparents.

Look around our league and see who our players are up against. Height is very much an issue for a defender. Yilmaz had some brilliant touches yesterday and contributed a huge amount, but little of it as a defender.

Watched him very closely against St Johnstone and he eventually gave up going up for headers as Kucheryavyi and Phillips were head and shoulders above him every time.

Might contradict myself here, but I think there is a place for his talent in our squad, but not as a full back - I don't know where else though?

4 minutes ago, holdnudgehold said:

That's the dillema. If this is how he's going to perform from now on then good. Just not seen it enough in whats been a problem position for us. On the other hand if he's got market value then maybe can get a better replacement with the money. 

Surely if he has market value it means he’s had a decent season, played well and contributed a lot.  Which means we shouldn’t replace him surely.  
Because you know what you have and don’t really know fully what you’re getting