*****The Official Rangers v SL Benfica Thread*****

20 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Plzen just won on pens. Think that might mean that racist country overtakes Scotland in coefficients and we lose automatic CL qualification in 2025.

Would be a different qualification group for the winners than the sort of teams we'd have to get passed finishing second.

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

Clubs own coefficient has absolutely nothing to do with country coefficient.

I understand that. Just saying that on TV it clearly stated that the club coefficient would mean that if we win the league in 2025, we would automatically qualify for CL. They probably got it wrong. But that’s what they said. 

7 minutes ago, wully said:

wully's seat tonight, had to send multiple Jack Butland pics to my mum and wife.

20240314_173309.jpg

Sat about there for a game years ago. Two wee guys in front of us kept shouting, "Andy! Andy! Andy!" at The Goalie.

He turned round and went, "Aye what is it you're wanting?". 

Shat it and stayed quiet for the rest of the game.  

21 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Think they still need a result in the next round for that to happen.

They were 0.5 points behind.

Plzen added 0.25 for a draw tonight. Sure they add 0.25 for the bonus point for reaching the QFs.

That means points are equal and IIRC then the latest season(ie this season) is the defining factor and Racist country has owned Scotland this year.

Back in from the game, disappointed but not downhearted as I thought the players put everything into it they just had that bit of quality that got them in front and we didn’t have enough ability to get back level.

Thought a draw would have been a fair result as neither keeper had a lot to do.

Onto Sunday for another must win 🇬🇧

Fine margins at this level as we know and we were missing just one too many players tonight.

Our only true strikers is Dessers, Silva is our back up playing out left, Lawrence looked totally done in second half and Wright has came in as about the 7th choice winger.

Matondo, Cantwell, Roofe and McCausland nowhere near the fitness we need to go and change that game. Sterling made a massive impact in Lisbon with his non stop running and reading of the game. That's before we get into what Sima and/or Cortes could have added.

Benfica on the other hand had their full, very expensive, well put together squad available and they still only managed to beat us over two legs by 1 goal. 

It's a disappointing result but nothing to be ashamed of tonight and plenty to play for domestically.

On to Dundee...

1 minute ago, the old guard said:

Can we please take ridvan aff the fkn corners, absolutely awful.

Dreadful. Instead of a go at them, some very quickly ended up in them attacking us. There were so many off the pace or urgency tonight though, he was one of many. Benfica weren't brilliant, just good at what they did. I wanted to rush on the park at one point and grab our Silva at one point, lead him off the pitch to be subbed, not the only one though. 

5 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

I understand that. Just saying that on TV it clearly stated that the club coefficient would mean that if we win the league in 2025, we would automatically qualify for CL. They probably got it wrong. But that’s what they said. 

The winners of the Champions League trophy automatically qualify for the following season’s tournament. Previously, if the Champions League winner had already qualified automatically through their domestic league, then their ‘spare’ automatic entry would go to the Champions of country ranked in 11th place.

In the new format commencing next season, that changes and instead the spare automatic entry goes to the champion with the highest club coefficient in Champions League qualifying – essentially any champion from the leagues ranked 11th and below. It is very rare that the Champions League winner doesn’t automatically qualify through their league position, with notable exceptions being Chelsea in 2012 and Liverpool in 2005. So, although not guaranteed – the Champions League winners’ automatic entry ticket is likely to be up for grabs.

This is why should Scotland drop to 11th, if we win the league next year we’d still most likely automatically qualify. 

54 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I thought up until their goal our performance was very good.

Just a shame there wasn’t really a reaction from us after that and to varying degrees all three attacking subs were shit.

At our best we’d have strolled that game tonight but ultimately just too many players missing and too many that were playing not at their best. Think if we had got the first goal we’d have been fine as we were playing okay but we got way too passive after their goal 

4 minutes ago, LaaRFC said:

Think as it stands we’d have a decent head start on them already so would take us to have a disaster and them to perform very well for them to over take us. So it’s possible but unlikely. 

Yeah you're correct. The points I seen had us even but that was for this season. Next year their best points year is removed. 

Good news.

6 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Yeah you're correct. The points I seen had us even but that was for this season. Next year their best points year is removed. 

Good news.

It’s a fucking minefield. Need a masters degree to fully understand it all. I just follow the Scottish coefficient guy on Twitter who’s very good at making it understandable and seems to know his stuff. 

According to him Plzen need at least one draw from their two quarter finals to take 10th spot for their country so Scotland might just cling on to 10th for one more year.