Arfield

Anyone else think he was far more effective out wide on the right tonight instead of playing central?

He seemed to be better at linking up with Tavernier and allowing him more freedom than what he usually gets with Candeias on that side.

It makes a lot of sense playing him there tbh, Arfield has played far more games in his career out wide on the right or left than he has in the centre of midfield (he actually played the entirety of last season for Burnley in the premier league as a LM).

Thoughts?

Arfield is effective anywhere when fit. It was clear as day that he was carrying a knock for about six weeks that effected his performances. On Sunday against celtic he ran more than anyone else on the park. He didn't really produce anything on that day but only three days later, his fitness shone and he played great tonight. Keep him fit and he will produce.

7 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Arfield is effective anywhere when fit. It was clear as day that he was carrying a knock for about six weeks that effected his performances. On Sunday against celtic he ran more than anyone else on the park. He didn't really produce anything on that day but only three days later, his fitness shone and he played great tonight. Keep him fit and he will produce.

I said for a while when Arfield plays well we play well,  as you said he worked his socks off against the tarriers in their midden , he was outstanding against the filth 

Very much in the mould of a Stuart McCall with his work ethic although unlike SM he stays on his feet when he tackles.😜

I’d like to see him used as a man marker to take an influential opponent out the game when needed as although he can create its not his strongest area but when used to play directly against Lego at Ibrox and the Villareal CM when we went down to 10 men he was outstanding. Seemed to me that scumbag Lego was avoiding him at the piggery. As already said when fully fit he is a great player for the team.

Cracking player and one of the first on the team sheet as far as I'm concerned........though I'm not sure what his best position is tbh.

We absolutely stole him from Burnley..... think he's a million pounds plus player imo.

9 hours ago, Bronzy said:

Anyone else think he was far more effective out wide on the right tonight instead of playing central?

He seemed to be better at linking up with Tavernier and allowing him more freedom than what he usually gets with Candeias on that side.

It makes a lot of sense playing him there tbh, Arfield has played far more games in his career out wide on the right or left than he has in the centre of midfield (he actually played the entirety of last season for Burnley in the premier league as a LM).

Thoughts?

Probably agree.  

Wherever or however role he’s going to play is desperately needing refined as for me he’s someone we should be getting so much more out of. 

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

second goal was a peach. Him & Kamara have contunued their fine form.

Great seeing our players getting rave reviews on the international stage again! So long as none of our players play for scotland ever again though. Hate the idea of us helping that snp/sfa/tarrier cause.

2 minutes ago, barrymorrison1 said:

Looks like no close season for arfield unless he gets a few weeks off specially, which probably would mean no qualifiers for him.

id be happy with that as the league is everything. 

he will defo get a few weeks off. Canada about to start play in the Gold cup.

15 minutes ago, barrymorrison1 said:

Looks like no close season for arfield unless he gets a few weeks off specially, which probably would mean no qualifiers for him.

id be happy with that as the league is everything. 

Think that's partly why he missed the Killie game. Not sure if Arfield got his full holidays earlier, prior to joining up with Canada, or maybe it was split and he took some holiday time then and will get a further break after his Canada commitments.

Either way a fully rested and refreshed Arfield will be huge for us next season.

Guy was instrumental in our form at the end of the season.  Assuming we can find someone to fill in for him for the first two qualifiers (hopefully not drawing decent teams) then I would hope he gets the rest he deserves.  Brilliant having our lads play internationals but I never missed having these concerns in the lower leagues 😞😂

11 minutes ago, kanjo said:

Brilliant having our lads play internationals but I never missed having these concerns in the lower leagues 😞😂

Going from NIcky fucking Law to Arfield. No contest there.

I have every faith he'll be huge for us in getting 55.

a lot of posters have jumped on the Scotty bandwagon. He wasn't getting much love when he was carrying a niggling injury for about six weeks. My fav player at the club and I'm expecting him to be a big leader next season. Not quite captain material but his experience will be a big factor to 55.