Ricksen passed away

Escobar

Absolute legend - not only for his on-pitch exploits but for his resolve after realizing he had the illness, hes done more for MND that anyone else in football, a bit like Doddie Weir who sufferers from the same.

Fernando, you won't be forgotten, you'll be remembered as you should be a a legend of a man.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

Not sure how realistic an option it is but i’d love to see us host some sort of pre season tournament with ourselves, Zenit, Alkmaar and Fortuna with a high percentage of the takings going to an MND charity.

Watched the AZ tribute to him. He barely scored a bad goal :lol:

1 minute ago, Rfc52 said:

Watched the AZ tribute to him. He barely scored a bad goal :lol:

Was surprised to see him wearing the number 8 and 10 for them. Wonder if he played even further forward as a midfielder than he did for us when he played there for us? 

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Not sure how realistic an option it is but i’d love to see us host some sort of pre season tournament with ourselves, Zenit, Alkmaar and Fortuna with a high percentage of the takings going to an MND charity.

Was thinking the same myself last night, probably a bit unworkable - don't see too many mini pre season weekend tournaments thesedays for a reason. Poor ticket sales.

That said, a friendly against Zenit would be a good shout.

Just now, DBBTB said:

Was surprised to see him wearing the number 8 and 10 for them. Wonder if he played even further forward as a midfielder than he did for us when he played there for us? 

I was sure he was always a RM or RB. Seeing him as a 10 when your number was genuinely the position you played then I'm not sure my first instinct was correct 

8 hours ago, WeeJacksonRFC said:

Wanted to share my only experience about Fernando  on here.

It was in 2005 when Rangers FC trained and played in Toronto in Canada. they played at the sky-dome in Toronto vs Dinamo Zagreb ( a young Luka Modric) was playing that day also. 

afterwards me 14 years old ran down to the makeshift tunnel entrance to land a few signatures and meet my idols. ( I really wanted to shake Barry Fergusons hand & Nacho Novo ( I did both by the way) & gave Nacho my scarf. 

I was star struck meeting our captain Mr Ferguson I adored him and idolized him. 

Novo was class shook my hand and gave me a hug and took my scarf. 

The guy beside me drops his scarf and who picks it up. Fernando does ! but he doesn't give it back he puts it on around his neck walks into the tunnel

I remember the guy beside me saying its a very special scarf to him and had it for years etc etc. few minutes later Fernando comes out with the scarf & the match worn shirt he gives both to the guy says hello and was just genuine. That memory has stuck with me since then. just wanted to share it in remembrance to him,  He was class ! 

rest well Fernando 

That is a lovely story and a great memory to share.