UEFA rules allow SFA to build bridges

iang2911

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive no idea how many CL places there are now, is it only 1? If it is, then it wont matter if we win the cup they will give the place to a league team, However the scenario where we played say a sheep team in the final who had already qualified for the cl would have been interesting,

So would I, the bodies will be under pressure from fans of other clubs and don't think it would happen however.

They will come under pressure to not help us for sure. However, they should do what is in the best interests of Scottish football which should see us get entry. Of course that is me using proper logic not SFA logic.

As with all domestic cup competitions in UEFA countries, the winners of the Scottish Cup qualify for the following season's UEFA Europa League (previously the UEFA Cup). If the winners have already qualified for the UEFA Champions League, the cup runners-up are awarded the Europa League place.

http://spfl.co.uk/spfl/europe-201415/

Europe 2014/15

The entry of Scottish clubs to UEFA’s club competitions for Season 2014/15 is determined by reference to the UEFA Country Ranking at the end of Season 2012/13.

At that time, Scotland was ranked 24. This provides access for three clubs through their Scottish Professional Football League position at the end of this Season and one club through this Season’s Scottish Cup.

As a result of that ranking, Scottish entrants to UEFA’s competitions for 2014/15 will be as follows:

Scottish Premiership Champions

Champions League qualifying round 2 (Champions pathway)

Scottish Cup winners

Europa League qualifying round 2

Scottish Premiership runners-up

Scottish Premiership third place

Europa League qualifying round 1

In the event that the Scottish Cup winners have qualified for the Champions League, the Scottish Cup runners-up will qualify for the Europa League but will enter at qualifying round 1. If this happens, then the Scottish Premiership third place club will enter the Europa League at qualifying round 2.

http://spfl.co.uk/spfl/europe-201415/

Europe 2014/15

The entry of Scottish clubs to UEFA’s club competitions for Season 2014/15 is determined by reference to the UEFA Country Ranking at the end of Season 2012/13.

At that time, Scotland was ranked 24. This provides access for three clubs through their Scottish Professional Football League position at the end of this Season and one club through this Season’s Scottish Cup.

As a result of that ranking, Scottish entrants to UEFA’s competitions for 2014/15 will be as follows:

Scottish Premiership Champions

Champions League qualifying round 2 (Champions pathway)

Scottish Cup winners

Scottish Premiership runners-up

Scottish Premiership third place

Europa League qualifying round 1

In the event that the Scottish Cup winners have qualified for the Champions League, the Scottish Cup runners-up will qualify for the Europa League but will enter at qualifying round 1. If this happens, then the Scottish Premiership third place club will enter the Europa League at qualifying round 2.

But say we get sheep in final and get beat but they have already qualified for uefa cup (not champions league) due to 2nd in SPL would we get the euro place as cup runners up?(pending appeal)

Lets get to the final first...

This this and this.

Two weeks ago most on here were moaning like feck shouting for McCoists head, now we are winning the Scottish Cup

Lets just take it a game at a time guys and leave the false boasts, to Neil "Premiership Quality Manager" Lennon

Three games to go, But until the 270 minutes are finished. Lets keep the heid

This this and this.

Two weeks ago most on here were moaning like feck shouting for McCoists head, now we are winning the Scottish Cup

Lets just take it a game at a time guys and leave the false boasts, to Neil "Premiership Quality Manager" Lennon

Three games to go, But until the 270 minutes are finished. Lets keep the heid

That's certainly not the point of the OP in fact I said it in the OP.

The Point of this post is to highlight a rule within the UEFA rule book that, IF we get to the final and IF we win it then the club could request an exemption request be placed.

I don't agree that this should not be brought up or discussed at this time as the more exposure and momentum that is built up about it the more difficult it will be for the sfa to

Ignore.

Oh! And most people won't know that this rule exists

So Please stop your whinging

Need clarification on this, my understanding (based on guesswork :pipe: ) is that if the team who wins the cup had already qualified for UEFA cup in the league then the extra place would go to the club in the top league who finished outside the European places, not the cup runners up.

Anyone clarify ?

Need clarification on this, my understanding (based on guesswork :pipe: ) is that if the team who wins the cup had already qualified for UEFA cup then the extra place would go to the club in the top league who finished outside the European places, not the cup runners up.

Anyone clarify ?

Some has posted the rules earlier on here

Need clarification on this, my understanding (based on guesswork :pipe: ) is that if the team who wins the cup had already qualified for UEFA cup in the league then the extra place would go to the club in the top league who finished outside the European places, not the cup runners up.

Anyone clarify ?

I think that May be the case, spot only goes to cup runners up if cup winner have qualified for champions league.

So we would need to win the cup and rely on the SFA fighting for us to get into Europe

A long shot, a very long shot!! But still a chance

Under normal circumstances a football association would do all it could to help it's member clubs out but not in Scotland. No doubt the rabid foaming at the mouth mutants on the Scottish football monitor are already having heart palpitations about the thought of the sfa allowing this. Guessing about 20,000 emails have already been fired off and timmy thomson is waiting in the wings to crucify the sfa if they even thought about it. Sadly for those reasons it won't happen.

That's certainly not the point of the OP in fact I said it in the OP.

The Point of this post is to highlight a rule within the UEFA rule book that, IF we get to the final and IF we win it then the club could request an exemption request be placed.

I don't agree that this should not be brought up or discussed at this time as the more exposure and momentum that is built up about it the more difficult it will be for the sfa to

Ignore.

Oh! And most people won't know that this rule exists

So Please stop your whinging

Misunderstanding.

Also not the first one to suggest exercising a bit of caution.

Fair play for making sure people know about the rule. As someone also said above "lets get there first"

People are getting carried away on the back of one good result against a team we're romping the league against.

Yes i'm happy and its great to see some optimism, but as Dundee United and ICT proved last season, we have a long way to go.

Fair play, to you for pointing it out, But lets just get there first.

If (and I do still think it is a big if) we do win the scottish cup then the club has to fight for this for a number of reasons -

1. I'm sure a new club has to wait 3 years to be eligible to play in Europe with no exceptions so if we get in through this rule (and don't see why not) it will shut all those bitter fuckers up once an for all (and I mean across the board)

2. It will give the players invaluable european experience and playing better opposition and will get them ready for next season in the process

3. This can have a knock on effect - look at st johnstone this year

4. sponsoship deals can be renegotiated due to exposure

5. will give us more exposure and show everyone we are back and we can attract better players for our return to the top due to this

this is just some benefits, i'm sure there are more

Not the first time you've had a go at me over expressing my opinion that I dont count as whinging. Also not the first one to suggest exercising a bit of caution.

Fair play for making sure people know about the rule. As someone also said above "lets get there first"

People are getting carried away on the back of one good result against a team we're romping the league against.

Yes i'm happy and its great to see some optimism, but as Dundee United and ICT proved last season, we have a long way to go.

Fair play, to you for pointing it out, But lets just get there first.

Didn't mean to single you out bud it was just reading a series of posts saying the same thing. Of course we need to get there first!!

Didn't mean to single you out bud it was just reading a series of posts saying the same thing. Of course we need to get there first!!

Its fine mate. :) edited post. No harm no foul at all

Fair play to you for pointing it out :)

You may have uncovered a very valid point :)

Lets hope our next discussion is how to make it happen ;)