Gerrard Post Match Reaction

3 hours ago, gsa said:

He's made "Tav" club captain and let "Josh" pull on a Rangers shirt again. Not sure Gerrard is really the messiah we'd hoped for. Not sure I can be bothered with more boring "pressers".

When he gets rid of the long term losers in our squad, I'll start to take him seriously. 

Don't think it will be long before we start seeing changes mate, hang in there.

2 hours ago, BlueKnight87 said:

He will persist with tav. Naming him captain ensures that. 

I still reckon 3 or 4 quality players are needed that can go straight into the team and improve it. Clinical Striker and playmaker a must for 2 of them. 

Tav will pretty good at the start 

Cavalier runs and good crossing 

Deep into the season when we are playing the vital games .That is where better teams will take advantage and he will cost us 

Guarantee it  

1 minute ago, eejay the dj said:

Tav will pretty good at the start 

Cavalier runs and good crossing 

Deep into the season when we are playing the vital games .That is where better teams will take advantage and he will cost us 

Guarantee it  

Every no-mark left midfielder in Scotland fills his boots again "Tav". Get him sold, Flanigan right back and John back to left back.  

4 minutes ago, gsa said:

Every no-mark left midfielder in Scotland fills his boots again "Tav". Get him sold, Flanigan right back and John back to left back.  

I agree with Flanagan rb and John lb as tav offers nothing defensively and will cost us regular goal. However, I still don’t understand why no manager has played tav where he is best on the wing ... he’d track back , he’d beat a man and his crossing is class. Surely this a no brainer ....

4 minutes ago, rfcno121 said:

I agree with Flanagan rb and John lb as tav offers nothing defensively and will cost us regular goal. However, I still don’t understand why no manager has played tav where he is best on the wing ... he’d track back , he’d beat a man and his crossing is class. Surely this a no brainer ....

He hardly tracks back as a RB so why would he bother if played anywhere else?

21 minutes ago, rfcno121 said:

Tav has created six goal scoring opportunities over the two legs and gave the ball away once tonight.  

43 minutes ago, gsa said:

That's would have been my view and let's try it for a game and see what happens (except for selling Tav just now). i like the effort of John in a game and Flanigan is always better on the right but was blocked by better players at Liverpool.

3 hours ago, DrLaudrup said:

He gives a solid analysis. And I feel that unlike previous managers he doesn’t try and shy away from the dreadful finishing. You can bet that they got it tight from Gerrard in the dressing room afterwards. 

As much as I’m annoyed about our finishing, it was a professional performance away from home and over both legs. We didn’t look like conceding and didn’t have to push hard tonight. The onus was on them to attack us. We controlled things and look solid at the back. As Gerrard says there is a lot to work on in the final third. Bear in mind there are 5+ players unfit/not available for those areas though so there is much that will change with our shape and lineup. It is a good result. 

Think of it as a positive. The likes of Windass and Morelos failing could be s blessing as SG knows quickly we need reinforcements. If they banged in a couple against the Macedonian minnows it may have hidden reality.

Gerrard has  inherited a total mess from a succession of Management Failures, McCoist, Warburton, Paedro C and Murty (I will omit McCall from the list). You do not undo such a mess in one short Lut of season summer.

The reality is that this could have been another embarrassment, both for the Club (we have rather been getting used to these sort of failures lately) and possibly even more so for Gerrards reputation (which is so far unblemished). So well done Gerrard for negotiating this first hurdle.

In the interview Gerrard comes across as professional, honest but seriously pissed off with the performance, and I am sure that will be transmitted to the dressing room. However he is an intelligent man and knows that ripping into the Squad in public is not clever in the long term. He needs the players onside with him, he needs them motivated and at the end of the day, he needs to maintain there market value as much as possible so should he get rid of them he can get as high a va.ue as possible unlike some of his predecessors who managed to completely destroy the market values of the players they got rid off to the detriment of the Clubs finances. His earlier comments ref Josh Windlass are to me a case in point.

Clearly Gerrard and his team have a long way to go, and he needs time and we need to be patient and realistic (some hope). Ibrox is not going to be rebuilt in a day, and the better the foundations the better the future longevity. So he’s building from the back- finally, we have been screaming for this for years. The significant performance within these two games was the fact we kept a clean sheet. But yes we do need a proven striker. 

Hopefully this was as much a message to King as it was to the squad.

King needs to realise he’s Steven Gerrard not Harry Potter, It’s a bit early days to claim the defence is sorted although after the 3 games I’ve watched it’s been a promising start, 3 clean sheets against limited opposition.

If he expects magic on the park King is going to have to splash the cash because some of the charlatans from previous regimes FINALLY look like they are running out of lives.

A reliable goal scorer and a creative midfield outlet look like an absolute MUST right now.

To be fair to Gerrard and co., they have managed to shift a lot of the deadwood and bring in defensive players that seem to be a big improvement. That is exactly what we all wanted. He can be forgiven for trying these guys up-front for three games when the stats clearly showed scoring was the least of our problems. We sat and watched every minute of every game last season whereas Gerrard has been here a matter of weeks. He will of course now be realising we need strengthened from mid to up-front (he's not stupid, despite the way some on here talk about him).

If he doesn't get the message and start recruiting in attack, and we continue to fail scoring, then you can attack him all you like. But let's give it a couple of months, eh lads? Or at least until we drop points or get knocked out of something.

58 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

‘Tav’ or whatever people are calling him, is one of our best players. He’s one of our main attacking threats and a competent full back. 

He is one of our main attacking threats, but not sure where you're getting the idea he's a competent full back from. He lets people past him constantly, often cutting inside and setting them up for a dangerous pass or run into the box. I'm actually ok with Tav in the team, but the idea that he's not a problem defensively seems crazy to me.

10 hours ago, rfcno121 said:

Because he isn't as effective. The whole point of his game is coming from deep to overlap the winger.....