Still worried about our midfield

GOAT

1 minute ago, GOAT said:

He was piss poor in the first half, nothing mythical about that.  A lot better in the second. 

He wasn't piss poor in the first half ( not outstanding either ) but I do agree he was much better in the second half

1 hour ago, theclothmonster said:

If SG wants to invite them onto us and counter in the second leg then it's one area that will need improving.

Gerrard wont put a team out that sits back and invites the opposition to come and attack.  That's the opposite of this high pressing philosophy he's currently trying to drill in to these players.  Maribor need goals and will attack us away from home and that's an ideal situation for the high counter press.  The more resources the opposition throws forward the more likely they are to be punished if the ball is won back high up the pitch.  

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

We ran right over the top of a Champions League class midfield without our best midfielder.

Let's not get carried away with the Champions League class shit. 

They're a good team, who made it through the qualifiers a few times, but they got pumped 7-0 last year at home. 

We did run right over the top of them though. 

6 minutes ago, GT66 said:

They're a good team, who made it through the qualifiers a few times, but they got pumped 7-0 last year at home. 

They have a strong history vs Scottish teams. Knocked us, scum, sheep and hibs out in the past. 

Result tonight was huge and with a bit of luck we'll finish them off next week. 

16 minutes ago, GT66 said:

But getting pumped in the Champions league is good! Thats what Brenda and the scottish media tell us

17 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

They have a strong history vs Scottish teams. Knocked us, scum, sheep and hibs out in the past. 

Result tonight was huge and with a bit of luck we'll finish them off next week. 

They do have a good history vs teams from Scotland, but that doesn't make them CL quality. 

I know they've performed well in Europe, but after that second half, and even half of the first, we shouldn't need any luck going over there mate. 

Would have been para as fuck if it was 2-1, but we know what their game plan is now.

It's probably Gerrards biggest test countering it now. 

19 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

But getting pumped in the Champions league is good! Thats what Brenda and the scottish media tell us

Scotland football has destroyed itself. 

Pre 2012, it was an embarrassment to fail to qualify for the CL, now, with the taigs lowering the bar, it is classed as some sort of tournament win for the whole nation. 

We, and them, would have been absolutely slaughtered after some of the results they had recently in Europe 10 years ago, even though the only thing that has changed is the price of world class players, not the quality of those players. 

When someone posted the Ejaria video from last season on here when we signed him I thought if he does some of those things in Scotland he is going to get hurt.

A couple of times tonight he turned into players and took way too many touches. He'll end up with a broken leg if he doesn't cut that out against the likes of Motherwell.

Just before he got taken off he had a really good moment where he just kept the play flowing down the right hand side playing two touch football. Needs to do more of that rather than trying to act as if he is in the playground.

If I have one criticism to make, its a small but vital one. 

Esp in tbe first half, we stood off them and let them run the ball right into the box. We needed to harass them earlier. We made  it easy for them and that cost us the goal. 

We were better 2nd half but still prone to standing off them. 

5 minutes ago, Guardian said:

If I have one criticism to make, its a small but vital one. 

Esp in tbe first half, we stood off them and let them run the ball right into the box. We needed to harass them earlier. We made  it easy for them and that cost us the goal. 

We were better 2nd half but still prone to standing off them. 

I think in the first half we were trying to find our shape still. Coulibaly is not a holding player and I think he was struggling to be as disciplined in that role as Jack has in our competitive games so far this season. We were a bit caught out a couple of times out of position and when you do that sometimes you can't press cause it creates even bigger gaps.

You could see in the second half we looked more solid as he was picking and choosing when to press players based on our position.

Thought Stevie explained it very well, 30 mins of that first half they fell off the pace, stopped pressing and lost their shape, not good enough and he told them that at halftime. 

Second half they raggy dolled that mob and run themselves into the ground showing us what they can do and that’s without Jack. 

I think Ryan Jack and, if he ever gets fit, Jordan Rossiter are those players!

Coulibaly wins the ball back loads but he gets box to box, although I didn’t notice he sat back a lot more last night. 

At times you just need to put your hands up and realise that against a good team, they will have the ability to hurt you. 

8 hours ago, TMB said:

Gerrard wont put a team out that sits back and invites the opposition to come and attack.  That's the opposite of this high pressing philosophy he's currently trying to drill in to these players.  Maribor need goals and will attack us away from home and that's an ideal situation for the high counter press.  The more resources the opposition throws forward the more likely they are to be punished if the ball is won back high up the pitch.  

He did it against Osijeck away

10 hours ago, gsa said:

Those players are few and far between. Even at the top level. Barcelona haven't really replaced Xavi and Man Utd have been crying out for that player for years.

No idea who we could find on our budget. Charlie Adam? I don't like him but he seems keen and can pass and shoot. Possibly more suited to playing deeper now.

yeah, not for one minute saying he should come back but thats the exact type of player that would be suited 

11 hours ago, GOAT said:

First half that mob were walking through us.  Reckon we need another big strong defensive midfielder on top of another centre half and striker.  I’m also a bit worried about the left hand side, just don’t think the Kent boy has it. 

Don’t be worried, we have Stevie G on the money. He saw the problems in the first half got them regrouped, clues up and sent them back out knowing exactly what was required. We grabbed that game by the scruff of the neck from the ko and never let go. 

Only one other team in Scotland are on a par with Maribor and Osijek. And remember this is only their 7th game together with a group that is literally still getting to know one another 

as for Kent - I mentioned this elsewhere - you are looking for 2-3 moments of magic from his type. Some jinking run and shot, or a through ball, great cross. We must keep encouraging him, Ejaria and Middleton because they guys are all about one magic moment that changes the game. Off the ball his attitude is great ?

Need at least one more midfielder along with young Ross who is good enough to step in if required. Dorran's is shite and made of glass, Mr Copland road Halliday is never a footballer and Rossitter is forever injured. 

Still lacking in defence as well as up front. 

In Gerrard I trust though. 

12 hours ago, rossco87 said:

I don’t think it is the individuals as much as three players who weren’t getting their balance and shape right in the first half.

Being played through is always going to be a risk when playing a pressing game if you don’t do it right. It will improve as the team plays together more throughout the season.

And the manager spotted that and fixed it at half time. Already a huge improvement on what we've had on the sidelined for the past 6 years.

I'll admit I was worried when I heard we were going for Steven Gerrard, I rated him as a player but that doesn't always guarantee a good manager, now after some friendlies and six competitive games I've got a fair old smile on my face, I don't look like I'm a candidate for a Swiss suicide clinic anymore.

I may just change my name to Marvin Andrews because Steven Gerrard is making me believe again.