Never winning the title this season

Amac9

My sensible head wants to agree with the OP, but it is far too early to be saying that. 

We look MUCH better than last season and celtic have already lost against hearts etc. They are not a great side, and will drop more points in this league. Albeit they seem to have the mental beating of us lately. What has been disappointing is the two injury time goals we have conceded in games that would have had us clearly ahead of celtic going into that game. While we all focus on the celtic games, if we are not taking points against the others then we won't be winning anything.  

We have a break now to focus and take stock. A good run of results now would put us right up there - we have a run of matches we should be taking full points from. 

Never really expected us to win this season. Got a bit carried away with all the new players coming in, but back down to earth now.

The points dropped at Aberdeen hurt, but as they were at home it could be seen as a point gained.

However the Motherwell result really hurts. No excuse for dropping two points there.

We've had some bad descisions go against us, but when you consider that we've only beaten St Mirren in the league, it's a bit of a worry.

14 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

2 last minute equalisers that had been coming for ages and both times we fucked up defensively, and a goal were  their player ran 80 yards himself. Plus, Aberdeen and Motherwell away aren’t that hard to go to and win

That’s debatable if the team has been assembled in the last 12 weeks or so

I hope we win the league this season,but sad to

say I still think we are still a bit behind the smellie

ones,but we are getting stronger all the time.

We're Rangers ffs! The whole club has been built on the philosophy of aiming to win every game we play and every tournament we enter. Anyone holding up the white flag already with regards to the league after 4 games should piss off and support Thistle or some other diddy club like that.

The worry was always if we get to the Europa league group stages would it effect our league campaign. 

The main argument a lot of people seem to have to defend the team yesterday was we played in Russia 2 days before so they were tired yesterday. So in short, it's already fucking our league campaign 

Well we’ve lost 1 drawn 2 and won 1 and that’s not league winning form.  We’d need to go on a real winning run of 20/25 games from the Dundee game to win it and I’m not seeing it.  As ever I really hope I’m wrong and we get #55.

11 hours ago, DBBTB said:

If you had asked me to name ten or fifteen posters who would go completely over the top with their reaction to a poor result today then I would probably have predicted the lot correctly.

With the way that people act when we don’t win games and immediately start going on about standards and what’s acceptable and what isn’t, you would think we never ever dropped points or played poorly before 2012 when the reality is that we did, quite often actually.

I suppose there’s little point trying to have a reasoned conversation or debate with certain posters when emotions are running high like they are now because if Walter Smith can get it tight from people, and he did (myself included sometimes because I was a lot younger and stupider then) for a bad performance or result, then what chance does anybody have of escaping people’s scorn until they calm down a bit.

Cracking post, in certain circumstances all logic and reasoning goes out the window when we lose games, the full club has went through major surgery on and off the park for 6 long years, the last 2 years has been more upheaval on the playing side with 5 different managers and countless amounts of players playing for us.....this season is the first season in the last 6 that it actually feels like the club I grew up as a lad supporting and falling in love with.

Yesterday was always going to be a big ask no matter how far we believe we have came, the opening 4 fixtures coupled with potential games in Europe was always going to make our league start vulnerable, as we now sit with only 5 points out of 12 the panic buttons are well and truly being pushed, small margins define a lot of peoples reactions, .we all know their are ifs and buts in football but had we held on in our other 2 away games we would be sitting joint 2nd with the beggars and all of a sudden the garden would be looking a whole lot brighter.....but we didn't so queue the panic stations.

This season is and still is a work in progress, for this bear I will look at the league table in 6 or 7 weeks and then I will know how far away we are from being a team that is just improving or a team that can make a genuine challenge?

Where’s the fun in not believing we will win the league?

Although I never adamantly projected we’d win the league this year I still would rather hope we were until we can’t instead of accepting - we’re going to be a bit shite this year but a wee bit less shite than last year.

Of course playing in Europe will bring added pressure and affect the players but nowhere near as much as this last week:

- only 1 return flight over 3 hours, not the recent 6

- hopefully later kick-offs on the following Sunday

- less pressure to get through the tie financially

- 11 men finishing the games (or at least 10!)

- more squad integration having taken place

- more experience of big matches under our belts.

And a decent showing in Europe could build our confidence and ability to function in lesser matches against the hammer throwers domestically.

It doesn't seem as though very many people have perspective on fan forums at times.

Everything can't click instantly. Players have played Thursday sunday now for weeks. There has been 14 new signings , a new management team, we effectively have a whole new squad this season as opposed to last season.

I would much rather be in this position domestically and be in the Europa league group stages than have 12 points and be out of Europe. Europe is massive for us as it shows actual progression, where as a league season is 38 games long with a ton of twists and turns. This international break has come at pretty much the perfect time, the squad can gel more when training together and it gives us time to get a couple players back from injury.

We have seen much better teams go to them, Aberdeen and motherwell and drop points. Our main issue last season was the home form in the league. Give players a bit of time because Rome wasn't built in a day. Gerrard has laid down defensive foundations that make us VERY difficult to beat. We have a much, much stronger squad now than we have for years. We are a fanbase who, dependant on ages, have been potentially spoiled with sucess' for many decades. Try and give everything a bit of time and a full season, there will be up's and downs for certain but there has been so much progress made in such a small timescale considering we have a manager who is taking control of his first club.

I have no doubt that with the players we have brought in, who are good players, that over the next couple of months everything will look much better.

Who knows but this time last year no one would have though we would be in the Europa Group stages or hearts would be top with 100% record.

We are in Europe, still in 2 cups which involved beating a team that we struggled against last year and are 4 points behind in the league.

13 hours ago, Amac9 said:

And anyone who genuinely believes so are deluded. I hear people saying all the time in work how we are going to win the league and do this and that to that mob but they fail to realise we haven't even finished above Aberdeen the past 2 seasons. Now 4 games into the season we have dropped 7 points and lie 4 points behind them and 7 behind Hearts.

The fact we got into the group stages of the Europa League is remarkable but are we really going to make a dent in it? Good for money wise and getting European football back to Ibrox is great but realistically we aren't expecting much.

We need to win at least one cup and close the gap significantly on celtc and finish comfortably in second to at least deem this season any kind of success. We are still way short of mounting a title challenge and people need to accept that.

I think most people realised winning league this year would be a step to far,maybe the Europa league run got people’s hopes up but it think in the space of 2 months we have come a long way.

we now have a run of 10 games which we should win most and after them games we will have a better idea of how our team is shaping up.

i don’t really know what your point about Europe is nobody expects us to make a dent,christ we didn’t even expect to make it through the qualifiers.

we have dropped 7 points with a incredibly hard start but we were a minute away from winning 2 of them.

leagues aren’t won and lost at the start of sep

I posted this in another thread but it probably fits better here.......

A successful team starts from the back, concentrates on the spine, then improves the rest of the 1st team quality to match, and finally develops the depth of squad so that if a sub is made the quality on the pitch doesn't decrease.

We're a million miles from that, as is to be expected, given our starting position. Quite simply it was never going to be addressed in one window, in which we've actually achieved better turnaround than I thought likely with 27 players moved along.

New manager, new squad, new mentality, a fucking hard opening schedule. A tiring trip to Russia and a game endured with 9 men.

The scum have an established squad and tinker rather than overhaul. Their midfield 2 of Rogic and Nitcham are a level far above typical for the spl. Their CF cost more than we spent on our squad.

Of course we should be aspiring to win the league, but realism is needed.  As is time, transfer windows and investment.

Those shouting and moaning loudest are those who don't look at the big picture. They just work up to a frenzy, expect us to smash them (saying the double treble winners are shite tends to be the basis of why they expect us to), then go crazy blaming everyone at the club when it doesn't happen.

As shite as we were yesterday, and we were, even our best teams have struggled there previously. As some posters on here pointed out pre match to be largely shouted down. 4-nil type predictions. Getting a result there is fucking hard even for a great team in form.

We as a support NEED to stop focusing on the league, remove that pressure / anxiety, and look at the short term. Win the next game. And the next. Develop, improve, keep doing so and keep winning. Then see where it takes us. There's already talk of pulverising them in December ffs, it's mental.

We are better than we were, not nearly as good as we need to be, but are on the right path. We need to push on as a team to get there, and to be a strong 2nd best this season at least, as a stepping stone to subsequent investment, new players etc to take on the scum on a prolonged basis. Realistically next season. If like me you believe in realism....

12 hours ago, DBBTB said:

If you had asked me to name ten or fifteen posters who would go completely over the top with their reaction to a poor result today then I would probably have predicted the lot correctly.

With the way that people act when we don’t win games and immediately start going on about standards and what’s acceptable and what isn’t, you would think we never ever dropped points or played poorly before 2012 when the reality is that we did, quite often actually.

I suppose there’s little point trying to have a reasoned conversation or debate with certain posters when emotions are running high like they are now because if Walter Smith can get it tight from people, and he did (myself included sometimes because I was a lot younger and stupider then) for a bad performance or result, then what chance does anybody have of escaping people’s scorn until they calm down a bit.

Excellent post mate ?

There is a bit of nostalgia with smiths last run in the team due to it being the last time we were successful. Just for a bit of perspective Smith's team the last season we won the title, only managed 1 win vs the taigs in the league .

I want to see the team be successful again but it will take time for it to all come together. We have 14 new players brought in to integrate together.

Yesterday showed that the taigs are still the team to beat and that there is work to be done to bridge that gap. But we are making strides. They are a settled 11 with 2 years under Rodgers. We are still coming together under Gerrard.

Once we get a settled 11 on the pitch gelled into a unit and with more game time under it's belt I believe we will start to see more consistent results and put forward more of a challenge.

International break comes at a good time. Get the squad together regroup and look to bounce back against Dundee. Try and get a run going into December.

3 hours ago, ronniemca said:

To win a cup we are inevitably going to come up against you know who.How is that going to work?To win things we need to beat them and to beat them we need better players ,so there is a bit to go yet before we are celebrating trophies.lets start by beating all the other teams in the league regularly and see how close that gets us meanwhile we can tweak the side releasing the ones who are not up to it and bringing others in.It is the only way IMO.

If we got them in a cup at celtic Park then yes they’d win.

Get them at Hampden then for me they are only slight favourites.

Get them at Ibrox with some more games in the squad and a fit Coulibaly then we have every chance of beating them

12 minutes ago, ZZed said:

I actually think we are still in it with 4 games played. They will drop points, we are getting better and we still have players to come back to give the squad a little bit of depth.

I agree.

We will learn from this and the scum who just aint that good, will defo drop points.

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

The worry was always if we get to the Europa league group stages would it effect our league campaign. 

The main argument a lot of people seem to have to defend the team yesterday was we played in Russia 2 days before so they were tired yesterday. So in short, it's already fucking our league campaign 

It was always going to have an effect unless we had real quality in depth which we don’t yet.

Getting the money from the group stage qualification is vitally important and it needs to be reinvested in the squad in January, bed in the new players and add to that over next summer. I think the plan was always to push them this year and win it next year.

Just now, NeoGeo7 said:

It was always going to have an effect unless we had real quality in depth which we don’t yet.

Getting the money from the group stage qualification is vitally important and it needs to be reinvested in the squad in January, bed in the new players and add to that over next summer. I think the plan was always to push them this year and win it next year.

Think you're probably right mate.

I'd like a cup this year if we aren't winning the league