Lafferty pulls out of NI squad

Amac9

1 hour ago, jintybear said:

According to the heart and hand podcast its the end of the international period which is actually Friday so that means he wouldn't be eligible to play until Tuesday. It's a joke really!

Thanks Jinty, never realised it ran so long after the last game. Crazy rules. :headwall:

1 hour ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Only thing it maybe does is introduces Sadiq for some game time before semi final. 

Its fucking Accies we are playing, play Derek Johnstone up front ant we should still be winning ffs.

My thoughts exactly, we should beat them without KL and if we can’t then that’s a worrying position to be in

11 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I could be wrong but even retiring from International football doesn’t stop this from happening.

I think that something along these lines happened with Claude Makelele a few years back. He ‘retired’ but was called up by France and had to play in order to not risk being suspended for club.

I don’t think you don’t technically retire, you simply ask not to be considered for selection. 

As I said I could be wrong, I’m not 100% sure.

Banning someone who retired would easily be overturned in court. Virtually slavery to say a country can compel you to represent them . 

3 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

Banning someone who retired would easily be overturned in court. Virtually slavery to say a country can compel you to represent them . 

Not necessarily.

It is a private matter within a structure of associations where the rule is that refusal to participate in international football means they are unable to play for their club for what is effectively one game. The only ability to overturn it in court would be one where incorrect procedure of the articles / constitution / rules of the association has taken place. 

I found the article from the time. In this case there is a quote that suggests Domenech had the law on his side: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/sep/05/newsstory.sport13

1 hour ago, Dickie said:

When(if ever ) has this rule been used?

Only time I can find it being used (was a quick search to be fair so could be more) 

Again was the IFA, different reason for the player pulling out but the same reason they done it, to get him back for pissing them off

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/euro2016/irish-fa-impose-ban-on-luton-town-midfielder-mcgeehan-31501412.html

3 hours ago, Valance1690 said:

Only time I can find it being used (was a quick search to be fair so could be more) 

Again was the IFA, different reason for the player pulling out but the same reason they done it, to get him back for pissing them off

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/euro2016/irish-fa-impose-ban-on-luton-town-midfielder-mcgeehan-31501412.html

They are pathetic 

I see it is being reported this morning o'neill having a meeting with KL and Rangers management "with a view to saving lafferty's international career". Not sure O'neill holds all the cards here. The headline assumes Lafferty is desperate to play for NI again. Perhaps headline should be "with a view to getting Lafferty back into the fold."

8 minutes ago, Brubear said:

I see it is being reported this morning o'neill having a meeting with KL and Rangers management "with a view to saving lafferty's international career". Not sure O'neill holds all the cards here. The headline assumes Lafferty is desperate to play for NI again. Perhaps headline should be "with a view to getting Lafferty back into the fold."

The papers will always have a negative Rangers slant to them.

1 hour ago, Smile said:

The papers will always have a negative Rangers slant to them.

You got that right mate. We're getting it the neck now from unsurprisingly an ex taig Michael Gray. 

"The medical staff at Rangers should have contacted Northern Ireland to say ‘look the player is not ready, his Achilles is not ready for him play international football. He needs a break. We can send him to you and you can access it if you want to but if not we will seed him back’.

“He has done it off his own back so it’s completely wrong"

He forgets Rangers told the IFA he was fit to play. 

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

Let's be honest, he's no the brightest.

No disputing that, but given we don't know the ins and outs of what's gone on there's been plenty slating O'Neill and the IFA. The tone and wording of this indicates that's wide of the mark, with KL at fault.

3 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

No disputing that, but given we don't know the ins and outs of what's gone on there's been plenty slating O'Neill and the IFA. The tone and wording of this indicates that's wide of the mark, with KL at fault.

KL is at fault but O'neil is also trying to deflect and turn the attention away from NI's losing skid. Poor play by him as well.

If Lafferty is not playing on Sunday because he has failed to adhere to international protocol but still wants to be considered for international selection in the future the club should fine him if we are able to. We have done nothing wrong yet we are being penalised by not having him available for selection this Sunday and are continuing to pay his wages.

Obviously we don't know the specifics but it still seems that Northern Ireland are being petty as fuck. Right now all 3 parties are gonna be pissed off. No winners in this completely unnecessary mess.

5 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

If Lafferty is not playing on Sunday because he has failed to adhere to international protocol but still wants to be considered for international selection in the future the club should fine him if we are able to. We have done nothing wrong yet we are being penalised by not having him available for selection this Sunday and are continuing to pay his wages.

Obviously we don't know the specifics but it still seems that Northern Ireland are being petty as fuck. Right now all 3 parties are gonna be pissed off. No winners in this completely unnecessary mess.

Hamilton?

8 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Irish FA = Petty wankers