Games vs celtic: meaningless or meaning less?

6 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Perhaps it's growing older, wiser, more mature.  Maybe it's the miles and years in between life in Scotland.  Some would say it's the tiresome regularity of these fixtures, a reflection of the sorry state of Scottish football.  I'm not sure.  But I do know that these games don't excite me like they once did.  From Wednesday to Saturday we argued, worried and looked forward to the big game. From Monday to Wednesday, we argued about the game.  Not sure if that's still the same as it once was.  You'd be pals all week with celtic fans at work and rivals on a Saturday - and it was only on Saturday or Wednesday that these games would be played - and there was a ton of banter.  

And you'll notice certain trends.  In general, the team that scores first does not lose and generally wins.  How many times has the team who conceded first came back to win?  Scores are generally limited to two goals, occasionally three.  Red cards occur frequently.  The teams are very, very rarely equally matched - generally one team has superiority over the other, sometimes by a marked degree.  And you never see many classic games or classic football.  Contrast today's games with games in the 1960's or 1970's.  

I'll tune in to the game tomorrow but feel somehow, somewhere, it's not the same.  Things ain't what they used to be. 

You must be the only one mate.

I fucking hate them. And it’s weird because I never hated them growing up. 

I was lucky enough to grow up in the 9 in a row era and I never hated them because we dominated them. I saw their paranoia as a joke, they were not to be hated, they were to be ridiculed.

My hatred only kicked in around 2008. As I have said many a time on here, John Reid changed the whole landscape and poisoned Scottish football. It has gotten worse over the years and I hate them on a whole different level than I could ever have expected. 

I posted recently that I didn’t want that for my kids. I don’t want my kids hating the way I hate. It’s not good for the soul. 

6 hours ago, Budswiser said:

It will never ever be meaningless against these bastards, NEVER. They always have been and always will be THE  enemy.  I am an old bear and I have never changed my feelings about them since my first game In 1966. Never forget that these bastards have always despised us and if anything I  hate them more than I did then. 

This all day, I was born hating the bastards, I live my life hating the bastards and I will die hating the bastards. 

I mean this game is meaningless in reality and I'm not feeling nerves here. The rest have felt the same. The one thing has changed is the banter with tarriers. There is none, any ends up going back to use are deed/peados etc. Never about the football anymore. 

2 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

I wish I could feel like that , been up since the crack of dawn , stomach churning etc , think I love and hate these games in equal measure now 

Had two nerve induced shites already, about to rattle a bottle of tonic, probably end up shitting myself on the bus, leave in an hour or so, fucking horrendous what I put myself through over a game of fucking football. 

7 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Perhaps it's growing older, wiser, more mature.  Maybe it's the miles and years in between life in Scotland.  Some would say it's the tiresome regularity of these fixtures, a reflection of the sorry state of Scottish football.  I'm not sure.  But I do know that these games don't excite me like they once did.  From Wednesday to Saturday we argued, worried and looked forward to the big game. From Monday to Wednesday, we argued about the game.  Not sure if that's still the same as it once was.  You'd be pals all week with celtic fans at work and rivals on a Saturday - and it was only on Saturday or Wednesday that these games would be played - and there was a ton of banter.  

And you'll notice certain trends.  In general, the team that scores first does not lose and generally wins.  How many times has the team who conceded first came back to win?  Scores are generally limited to two goals, occasionally three.  Red cards occur frequently.  The teams are very, very rarely equally matched - generally one team has superiority over the other, sometimes by a marked degree.  And you never see many classic games or classic football.  Contrast today's games with games in the 1960's or 1970's.  

I'll tune in to the game tomorrow but feel somehow, somewhere, it's not the same.  Things ain't what they used to be. 

If Scottish football has to ever recover from its malaise in World football 

The top league in Scotland has to get back to playing each other twice 

It can be argued that the Premier league in its current format of playing 4 times was the worst thing ever to happen to our national game 

Sure as a boy i loved these games but greed and self interest has taken over before progress and attacking style 

The Dutch have the right ideas for me 

It should be our reasonable benchmark 

Not playing so many games gives a team a chance to grow 

Todays game is still watched worldwide so its still a massive draw 

And i cant wait 

35 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

If Scottish football has to ever recover from its malaise in World football 

The top league in Scotland has to get back to playing each other twice 

It can be argued that the Premier league in its current format of playing 4 times was the worst thing ever to happen to our national game 

Sure as a boy i loved these games but greed and self interest has taken over before progress and attacking style 

The Dutch have the right ideas for me 

It should be our reasonable benchmark 

Not playing so many games gives a team a chance to grow 

Todays game is still watched worldwide so its still a massive draw 

And i cant wait 

Bigger league playing twice is essential. It spreads the money around a bit more. It creates more interest for a wider audience. Allows greater squad rotation. 

But it has to come with the banning of plastic pitches. Professional referees. VAR. get rid of the split. Allow colts teams in lower leagues etc. 

Not really the right thread but anyway 

7 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Probabally attempted to be poignant but comes across as a bit self centred and entitled. This game excites so many and is the highlight of the year for many of the support. If i couldnt get up for this game id be tempted to chuck it.

There is a generation that havent seen us win anything, who havent been around when we beat them regular, who hear the stories about how big and great a club we are but havent lived in that glory moment......try telling them its not important...or not what it used to be

8 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

I’ll grant you if the title was still in the balance the intensity around the game would go up a notch however my desire to beat them based on my utter contempt for them (on and off the pitch) has never been greater, and I’ve been watching this fixture for over 30 years now. 

During our years in the lower divisions I quite enjoyed having nothing to do with them for so long, so much so that I would be delighted for them to cease existence. It was a breath of fresh air, literally. When some say we need the rivalry I honestly don't think we do. As long as we're winning titles I don't care who we're up against. I really could do without them.

I find the constant pish coming from their board, management, players and fans extremely tiresome and pathetic. It's draining. It's repetitive. It's a daily occurrence now. How they, the media and other clubs, have all conducted themselves these past 7 or so years has been a real eye opener.

Our inability to compete, the disadvantage we have obviously had in trying to compete in the last few years has made it incredibly difficult to get excited by these games. Quite simply our players and management have not been good enough and we're almost expecting not to win. That was a horrible place to be in and I guess to an extent meant some of us thought these games were meaningless, but more down to the fact we just weren't good enough.

Now, I think I and most of us hate them more than ever before. That said I would still happily see them cease to exist. They are a vile club. As long as they exist though every game against them will always mean something.

All that matters is we get back to winning trophies and putting those cunts in their place. We now seem to be in a position to do that. And when we get back to dominating Scottish football I will never tire of putting them in their place. If that means 6 or 7 times a season all the better!

Saying these games mean less (or nothing) sounds exactly like them. Looking for excuses before a ball is even kicked. 

I love beating them more now than at ANY point I remember... and after their antics following the last game... I have been waiting impatiently for this one. 

9 hours ago, Budswiser said:

Believe me when I say this. It has never left me and I feel that things that have happened in this country in the last decade are things I would not believed possible. I don't want to get into the political argument but 16% of this place runs the silent 84%. I,ve  more or less gave up on us regaining any kind of influence.

Get to that ballot box and get the SNP voted out .Doesnt matter who you have voted for in the past vote the strongest unionist party in your constituency/ward .

For die hard labour men who will probably make up the majority of our support may feel voting a Tory candidate goes against their principles and for the Tory voters in or support voting Labour will be the same .

But all parties outside the SNP and greens up here have the single most important common policy amongst them .Retaining the union .

When we win 55 it will be a glorious glorious day .But believe me the day these scumbag lying SNP lose their grip on the jumped up council at Holyrood will be a very close 2nd in great days i have to look forward to.

Dont give up .when you give up you give in 

NO SURRENDER

Said this in the match thread but during the week of the Old Firm I don’t get a buzz at the start but when it gets nearer it brings out the worse in me and I just want non stop bigotry and cunts getting smashed