Games vs celtic: meaningless or meaning less?

Perhaps it's growing older, wiser, more mature.  Maybe it's the miles and years in between life in Scotland.  Some would say it's the tiresome regularity of these fixtures, a reflection of the sorry state of Scottish football.  I'm not sure.  But I do know that these games don't excite me like they once did.  From Wednesday to Saturday we argued, worried and looked forward to the big game. From Monday to Wednesday, we argued about the game.  Not sure if that's still the same as it once was.  You'd be pals all week with celtic fans at work and rivals on a Saturday - and it was only on Saturday or Wednesday that these games would be played - and there was a ton of banter.  

And you'll notice certain trends.  In general, the team that scores first does not lose and generally wins.  How many times has the team who conceded first came back to win?  Scores are generally limited to two goals, occasionally three.  Red cards occur frequently.  The teams are very, very rarely equally matched - generally one team has superiority over the other, sometimes by a marked degree.  And you never see many classic games or classic football.  Contrast today's games with games in the 1960's or 1970's.  

I'll tune in to the game tomorrow but feel somehow, somewhere, it's not the same.  Things ain't what they used to be. 

5 minutes ago, Budswiser said:

It will never ever be meaningless against these bastards, NEVER. They always have been and always will be THE  enemy.  I am an old bear and I have never changed my feelings about them since my first game In 1966. Never forget that these bastards have always despised us and if anything I  hate them more than I did then. 

Don't hold back, sir.  Let us know what's really on your mind.  

2 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

Don't hold back, sir.  Let us know what's really on your mind.  

Believe me when I say this. It has never left me and I feel that things that have happened in this country in the last decade are things I would not believed possible. I don't want to get into the political argument but 16% of this place runs the silent 84%. I,ve  more or less gave up on us regaining any kind of influence.

46 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

Perhaps it's growing older, wiser, more mature.  Maybe it's the miles and years in between life in Scotland.  Some would say it's the tiresome regularity of these fixtures, a reflection of the sorry state of Scottish football.  I'm not sure.  But I do know that these games don't excite me like they once did.  From Wednesday to Saturday we argued, worried and looked forward to the big game. From Monday to Wednesday, we argued about the game.  Not sure if that's still the same as it once was.  You'd be pals all week with celtic fans at work and rivals on a Saturday - and it was only on Saturday or Wednesday that these games would be played - and there was a ton of banter.  

And you'll notice certain trends.  In general, the team that scores first does not lose and generally wins.  How many times has the team who conceded first came back to win?  Scores are generally limited to two goals, occasionally three.  Red cards occur frequently.  The teams are very, very rarely equally matched - generally one team has superiority over the other, sometimes by a marked degree.  And you never see many classic games or classic football.  Contrast today's games with games in the 1960's or 1970's.  

I'll tune in to the game tomorrow but feel somehow, somewhere, it's not the same.  Things ain't what they used to be. 

Lol. where you been since 2012?

Only read 'til here but it wasn't so long there were 7 game between us and the cunts in one season.

5 minutes ago, Budswiser said:

Believe me when I say this. It has never left me and I feel that things that have happened in this country in the last decade are things I would not believed possible. I don't want to get into the political argument but 16% of this place runs the silent 84%. I,ve  more or less gave up on us regaining any kind of influence.

Totally agree mate,our parades through Glasgow city centre should be the wake up call, snp council determined to re route, or curtail, while ira supporters are welcome to parade, a pro independence March last Saturday, broke every rule in the book, allowed to go ahead, we have no influence whatsoever,it would seem. 

2 minutes ago, BlearyEyedBear said:

The day this fixture becomes meaningless is the day you hand in your bear card and go rock up at Firhill.

I,m sitting here with a bottle of beer and know when I go to kip, I will hardly sleep a wink thinking about a game that  wont mean anything this season. That feeling has never left me and never will.

You would think that living so far away that I would experience some of the feelings that the OP has but If I believed that I wouldn't be setting the alarm for 6-30am on a Sunday morning to watch us play, there is nothing meaningless to me anytime we play that manky shower of bastards and the glow in the aftermath of a victory still lasts for days, something we've been starved of in the last few years, the behaviour of those scummy bastards in the last few years have just ratcheted up to new levels, I would never have believed that I could ever hate them any more than I did growing up hating cunts like McNeil, Burns, Doyle, Grant etc but compared to the cunts that have played for them in the last couple of decades those I have named I could almost bring myself to admire but not quite.

@Budswiser has nailed it right on the head with his above posts, the hatred I have for that lot I'll take to my grave.

24 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

You would think that living so far away that I would experience some of the feelings that the OP has but If I believed that I wouldn't be setting the alarm for 6-30am on a Sunday morning to watch us play, there is nothing meaningless to me anytime we play that manky shower of bastards and the glow in the aftermath of a victory still lasts for days, something we've been starved of in the last few years, the behaviour of those scummy bastards in the last few years have just ratcheted up to new levels, I would never have believed that I could ever hate them any more than I did growing up hating cunts like McNeil, Burns, Doyle, Grant etc but compared to the cunts that have played for them in the last couple of decades those I have named I could almost bring myself to admire but not quite.

@Budswiser has nailed it right on the head with his above posts, the hatred I have for that lot I'll take to my grave.

I agree with you, bud. I'll be setting my alarm too.
I've been in the colonies for 45 years and yet I'm still excited for this game.
To the OP I'd say - 'Don't let the Old Man in'. If you lose the edge you lose the game. We can't ever let them think they have worn us down.
It's important for the players to understand that we, the support, believe in them.

23 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

@Budswiser has nailed it right on the hea d with his above posts, the hatred I have for that lot I'll take to my grave.

Both slimjim1690 and 72Barca sum up exactly what it should feel like to be a Rangers man. No matter where you are on the globe if you have that gut feeling that you cant describe to people, that nervousness when they are playing , even if you cant see the game but you know it,s happening , you are on nettles until you know the result, then you know you are part of a very special group of people that, no matter how you try to describe it, outsiders will never understand.  

2 hours ago, Budswiser said:

I feel that things that have happened in this country in the last decade are things I would not believed possible.

This, I believe captures the feelings of the majority of this forum if not the entire support. Right the way from the humiliation inflicted and capitalised upon re our financial issues (which seems like the whole of Scottish football and beyond had (are still having) a kick) to the way we as a club, fan base and section of the community are continually demonised even dehumanised by sections of the MSM buoyed by hostile high profile personalities and politicians. I am hopeful however that this will run its course and a level of parity will return when firstly we start lifting titles again and the SNP are consigned to the ‘has been’ party in Scottish politics who only brought derision and division to the table in pursuit of their warped utopia...  

38 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Left Scotland in the mid-80's yet my love for Rangers and my hatred for these bastards has never wavered.  If anything since 2012, the contempt I feel for these plastic-Irish scum has actually intensified.  

With you bro. Same. 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 

5 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

This is 100% a reflection on you & not the game/rivalry! 

Anybody that "tunes in" to the game doesn't have the fight for it anymore & might as well give up!