*****The Official Rangers v SL Benfica Thread*****

G.E.C.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, the goal machine said:

Arses collapsed in both games. Subs should have been made as the players looked dead on their feet. Gerrard's doing a cracking job but his game management is probably his biggest weakness.

Hopefully learning while it isn’t proving too costly.

10 minutes ago, qwerty said:

Will the rage and disappointment felt our players right now benefit and drive us on in the league campaign?

Hope so, biggest question mark for me on this team is mentality and game management. Not been an issue so far domestically.

16 minutes ago, keithgersbear said:

Our record in Europe is superb. Delighted with the result against potentially a finalist. 

Yeah can't argue with that but it's just frustrating because we deserved so much more from both games against Benfica.  Hopefully the players learn from this that sometimes slowing things down isn't a bad thing and the management appreciate that a strategic sub is needed even if winning.

Question to ask ourselves.....If at the start of this group you were told you'd get 2 draws against Benfica, what would you have said...? I'm sure everyone of you would have grabbed that big time.

Irrespective, our performance against them wont go un-noticed by all the other big hitters in Europe who wont relish playing us.

Stay focussed, get right behind SG and the team and we'll get a home win against Liege and that's enough.

2 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

They are a very good team mate, but left feeling like the first game, very frustrated. 

How a linesman could look straight across at that and not give a penalty is very poor.

Anyway I think a point from the next two games and we are through. :thumbup:

Still feels like boot in the balls mate. Scunnered. I’ll get over it though. They are a very good team and so are we. 

4 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

Can't disagree with any of that. Someone else made the point about Helander too. Him & Bassey in there and they wouldn't have had any space at the back. Kent was done.....so yeah, Barker would have been the obvious one to help stretch the game. Only SG will know why he didn't make changes! 

Barker?? for Kent? 

did your phone auto spell Barker in error?

7 minutes ago, hawkfalcons said:

I love SG but that's twice we have dropped points against them and really think subs would have made a difference even if slowing game down and putting fresh legs on . but onwards and upwards we will qualify

What subs would have made a difference tonight? had Jack been fit then aye  i could see the point but who would you have taken off? and who would you have replaced them with?

3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I don't just want to qualify, I want to win the group. Looks like we will need two wins to do that. 

Still, qualifying will also be a great feat.

Not many teams would want to play us in the last 32.

7 minutes ago, demise said:

Indeed. But still, a win out of 2 and we are through. We might be in a great form, but we cannot win every single game and not concede any goals at all. Looking at the bigger picture, Benfica are one hell of a team. 

I know mate I’m not total doom and gloom, realise how far we’ve came. 

Disappointed to lose the two goals obviously but look at big picture we are top of the group. Gave as good as we got against on paper the best team in group. We are just getting greedy if your gutted with us dropping points twice. It’s still well in our hands to go through. One win and we have qualified. Outstanding start. Keep the heads held high 

Archived