*****The Official Lech Poznan v Rangers Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He says Helander's been left at home which I thinks a strange one. If Balogun or Goldson get's injured the game I'm no keen on Bassey going in at centre half but I could be worried for nothing. There's been selections I've shat myself at the thought of, then at full-time I'm thinking to myself that was a canter. 

5 hours ago, British_Empire said:

He says Helander's been left at home which I thinks a strange one. If Balogun or Goldson get's injured the game I'm no keen on Bassey going in at centre half but I could be worried for nothing. There's been selections I've shat myself at the thought of, then at full-time I'm thinking to myself that was a canter. 

Bassey worries you at CB? I think he’s got all the attributes to play there at a canter to be honest. Just my opinion but I actually think he’ll end up a centre half. Remember his coach at Leicester when he arrived saying he’s comfortable there or at LB but his preference is at full back. Spoke very highly of him and said he was shocked he’d left as he would have almost certainly featured for Leicester this season. 

3 hours ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Bassey worries you at CB? I think he’s got all the attributes to play there at a canter to be honest. Just my opinion but I actually think he’ll end up a centre half. Remember his coach at Leicester when he arrived saying he’s comfortable there or at LB but his preference is at full back. Spoke very highly of him and said he was shocked he’d left as he would have almost certainly featured for Leicester this season. 

Maybe in the future but he’s way too scary at the back to play him there now You can get away with it against Falkirk but not Poznan though I’d be fine with him starting left back tomorrow night

For me he’s sleeping too often defensively to play in the middle and some of the back passes he was playing to McLaughlin in the Falkirk game were terrifying 

All we’d achieve trying to shoehorn him in at centre back the now would be shattering his confidence IMO

5 hours ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

2 hours ago, GA1972 said:

Maybe in the future but he’s way too scary at the back to play him there now You can get away with it against Falkirk but not Poznan though I’d be fine with him starting left back tomorrow night

For me he’s sleeping too often defensively to play in the middle and some of the back passes he was playing to McLaughlin in the Falkirk game were terrifying 

All we’d achieve trying to shoehorn him in at centre back the now would be shattering his confidence IMO

What GA said.

I don't think he's a bad player or not done ok, but as a first choice at the back either centre half or left-back he just doesn't really fill me with confidence.

He does the job ok that he's been brought in to do though and that's fill in here and there at left back and come on as sub to keep things simple but I think playing him centre half against a decent quality side away from home in Europe isn't the best of ideas.

13 hours ago, British_Empire said:

Agree with this but tbh the more important game is at the weekend so I would rather not risk Helander at all and keep him wrapped in cotton wool for the weekend.

17 minutes ago, RDB14 said:

Agree with this but tbh the more important game is at the weekend so I would rather not risk Helander at all and keep him wrapped in cotton wool for the weekend.

Suggests to me Hellander not 100% over Covid. Hopefully another couple of days means he is available for Sunday, on the bench as a minimum. 

Kamara,  Arfield, Zungu, Aribo, Hagi, and Kent together, would be like playing fantasy football, but would leave us soft in the midfield so I don't expect Hagi,or Aribo to start. 

I'd be tempted to push Morelos alone up front,allowing our midfield to keep control and attack through the middle. With Barisic and Tavernier threatening on the overlaps, our attacking options are amazing just now. 

Only worry is that he best way to play that team would be 3-5-1-1 but too risky at the back to start that way, so expect Davis or even Zungu to be sitting in front of 4 man defence for the start. 

16 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Haven’t read anything in regards the lineup they will be playing but if it’s similar to the first game I can actually see us losing tomorrow night. Feel like because we have already qualified we might take our foot of the pedal a bit 

disagree, i think the key thing for the squad at the moment is confidence and Gerrard won't risk that being knocked by defeat. Will be a strong start from us and look to take control early imo.

that being said i'd be happy to start without the likes of Kent and Morelos to rest them but i dont think they need it.

Let's get the three points tonight and finish top of this group to give ourselves the best chance of getting into the last 16.

Also not a fan of us taking this easy tonight. We're on a superb run and even a defeat in a dead rubber (in terms of qualification) could set us back and I don't want us to even have the chance for that to happen.

It's the most crucial part of our season with our rivals dropping points all over the place so for us to lose any consistency could hurt us going forward.

I'm sure the manager wont let the players take their eyes off the ball!

2 minutes ago, Raligt said:

Mclaughlin, Tav, Goldson, Balogun, Barasic, Zungu, Kamara, Arfield, Itten, Morelos, Hagi

Hagi doesn't deserve a shirt at this time.  Gives the ball away nearly every time now and falls over if somebody farts near him.  Needs to up his game big time.

1 minute ago, Boybluesy said:

Hagi doesn't deserve a shirt at this time.  Gives the ball away nearly every time now and falls over if somebody farts near him.  Needs to up his game big time.

I just posted this in the Hagi thread but i believe he has played his best games for us in Europe and tonight should be a good opportunity for him to prove himself. If he puts in a good shift, it can hopefully kick on for the next game.

There is no doubting his technical ability but he is struggling with confidence just now. For some reason he hasn't started this season like last.

He was amazing that game against Braga, he will find his form again with time. He is still young, people forget that.

A couple of beers before kickoff and my attitude will change for sure but right now my gut says it will be a draw.

Play our best team and we win but I expect Gerrard to rest quite a few and get some game time/european experience into other squad members. 

Closer we get to game time the more optimistic I will get. Be a great achievement to win this group. 

I’ve been feeling really confident going into every game for the past few weeks and months, including Benfica at home. But I just have a nagging doubt we’re going to lose our unbeaten record tonight.  

Hope I’m completely wrong and the team line ups will change my mind, but wouldn’t be surprised as they were a dangerous team. Let’s hope the rest a load of players, too.

Archived