Ryan Kent

GOAT

I love Kent as a player. He's gone through a dip but showed what he can do at Aberdeen. Think he's trying a little too hard at the moment but I'd prefer him on the pitch because he can create something out of nothing. 

Also, although his shooting can be very hit and miss, he's one of the few that will actually have a dig from distance for us.

Hoping he finds that spark again asap.

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Said it another thread but Kent needs someone to put pressure on him.

Scott Wright looks like the one that's going to come in. Even if it doesn't work out... I think Kent knows the likes of Jones, Barker and Stewart aren't trusted to come in, so he knows even if he is playing poorly he will start.

28 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

Scott Wright looks like the one that's going to come in. Even if it doesn't work out... I think Kent knows the likes of Jones, Barker and Stewart aren't trusted to come in, so he knows even if he is playing poorly he will start.

I think that's pretty spot on. We see that often in Football that players who don't have anybody behind their back, waiting to take their place in the starting line up, don't make efforts as much as they should. 

If Wright signs, I hope he'll be the one who push Kent and the others, to create a great dynamic, everyone in the team could benefit from this situation.

2 hours ago, stewaj3 said:

Whats wrights numbers to Kents ? 🤔

11 hours ago, Getstiffed said:

BR c'mon to fuck mate. I couldnt give two flying fucks when or where either player was signed. The fact is that one is a defender that cost peanuts and yet has looked our biggest attacking threat for 3 or 4 years now. Any winger or AM or striker that is being outscored or out-assisted by a 300 grand right back needs a kick up the arse.

Tav is having a brilliant season and his stats are amazing but many of the goals are pens which he’s now back on where I’d say most teams it’s the forwards who are the penalty takers. His free kicks are also happily hitting the back of the net again so most of his goals are not coming in open play.

I do agree all the forwards should be scoring more and yes we’re getting tremendous value out of Tav with his purple patch this season comparing to what we paid for him but I don’t think we can just make a simple direct comparison without the context albeit on the surface your point is bang on.

A breakdown of Tav’s goals between in play and pens/ free kicks would be interesting. His assists are also brilliant.

Think it's a bit unfair to compare Tav and Kent, take the player fee out of the equation because the players don't determine their fees and so on.

Tav has been outstanding this season and has always had all the attributes but never had the support of his team mates to cover his and the teams deficiencies when teams hit on the counter. His numbers have been consistently good since he arrived. 

Kent has reached the age that he really needs to start delivering more often, terrific wee player on his day but doesn't do it often enough. The manager sees him as a first pick and while we are cruising at the top I think the manager deserves the right to be trusted. 

14 hours ago, Getstiffed said:

BR c'mon to fuck mate. I couldnt give two flying fucks when or where either player was signed. The fact is that one is a defender that cost peanuts and yet has looked our biggest attacking threat for 3 or 4 years now. Any winger or AM or striker that is being outscored or out-assisted by a 300 grand right back needs a kick up the arse.

Theres a reason tav outscores and out assists our midfielders though and its due to the way gerrard wants them to play

When tav is coming in at the back post to attack a barisic cross, either of the sitting midfield 3 will be effectively playing right back and one of our number tens will be outside the box to cover a breakaway, so that our shape remains the same essentially but the players in different positions

Think of the non set piece goals tav has, when have we ever played a right back that far up the park, not even our most attacking fullbacks in my lifetime would be allowed to go that far, stevens, porrini, hutton, whittaker, all loved going forward but would always be a right back first and foremost, 

2 hours ago, plumbGER said:

Think it's a bit unfair to compare Tav and Kent, take the player fee out of the equation because the players don't determine their fees and so on.

Tav has been outstanding this season and has always had all the attributes but never had the support of his team mates to cover his and the teams deficiencies when teams hit on the counter. His numbers have been consistently good since he arrived. 

Kent has reached the age that he really needs to start delivering more often, terrific wee player on his day but doesn't do it often enough. The manager sees him as a first pick and while we are cruising at the top I think the manager deserves the right to be trusted. 

Its also unfair to compare given the system gerrard wants them to play, a lot of our final balls into the box comes from the fullbacks, we attempted 41 crosses last sunday, id say at least 35 of them were from our fullbacks, 

8 minutes ago, docspiderman said:

Had there been an internet forum when Davie Cooper played for us it would be very interesting to see posts and reactions to his dips.

Spot on, I well remember Cooper getting dogs abuse from the terraces. Wingers tend to be inconsistent. 

58 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Kent will run the ball out the park again

Kent will run the ball out the park again!

At least he was trying to make it happen there. It's when he hides on the pitch and runs slowly inside and makes a 2 yard pass that's his biggest flaw.

44 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

At least he was trying to make it happen there. It's when he hides on the pitch and runs slowly inside and makes a 2 yard pass that's his biggest flaw.

It’s his decision making that’s the problem.

You don’t have to dribble all the time and beat a man play a quick 1-2.

Defenders know he always cuts inside now. Much prefer him on the right hand side driving at people on the outside.

Perhaps that would take away from Tavernier on the right so why he plays more on the left hand side.

1 hour ago, ElBufalo20 said:

It’s his decision making that’s the problem.

You don’t have to dribble all the time and beat a man play a quick 1-2.

Defenders know he always cuts inside now. Much prefer him on the right hand side driving at people on the outside.

Perhaps that would take away from Tavernier on the right so why he plays more on the left hand side.

Absolutely, given his acceleration, I wish he was much more direct. For me, it’s definitely decision making that’s the main issue, allied to an overly fragile self-confidence.

I think the latter is the case for a few of them though. Even Tav looks like his confidence has taken a real hit since teams tried to nullify him. He’s not been anywhere near his standards of 4-5 weeks ago.

And Aribo, well, enough said. Other than the very odd occasion, he’s got the heart of a mouse and zero steeliness.

As football fans we expect so much and are generally just too fickle. Liverpool fans have been slagging Salah off this past few weeks ffs. Interesting also, that Liverpool are also struggling against sides that employ the low block.....difference is.....more often than not (and more often than Liverpool), we're finding a way to win despite the opposition tactics.

17 minutes ago, Flatcap said:

As football fans we expect so much and are generally just too fickle. Liverpool fans have been slagging Salah off this past few weeks ffs. Interesting also, that Liverpool are also struggling against sides that employ the low block.....difference is.....more often than not (and more often than Liverpool), we're finding a way to win despite the opposition tactics.

Was thinking along the same lines watching that last night.  
Very much the same principle but with an altogether far higher level of players.  
Burnley sat in with unbelievable quality, organisation & workmate & Liverpool couldn’t find the answer. 
Glad we’ve managed to find our own way of dealing with this issue this season.  

I guess Kent has still got another 3 or 4 years until he potentially hits his peak, although like many players/wingers of his style I can see him being a player that might struggle with consistency throughout his career. If he gets into double figures for goals this season that'd be a good season, not sure what he's on at the min 5 or 6 goals?? I think we'll be looking to cash in on him in the summer, great business if we get £20m for him.

3 hours ago, Flatcap said:

Liverpool are struggling in general, pish against Man United who don’t play the same way

Archived