The Athletic reporting Steven Gerrard is a target for Everton

graeme_4

1 hour ago, rangersross said:

I think it's possible for a manager to coach at Everton then end up at Liverpool but, as a club legend, I do think their supporters would take exception to him going there. Even putting that aside: I think Gerrard would recognise that it's a tough gig (where he'd be expected to do at least as well as Ancelotti - one of the best managers in the world) and, while some Liverpool fans might be willing to accept an ex-Everton boss, almost no Liverpool fans would be willing to accept a "failed" ex-Everton boss. 

He’s only going one place and that is to Liverpool hopefully in at least two years when Klopp calls it quits.

Gerrard can’t fail anywhere and expect the Liverpool job. He took a great risk coming to Rangers knowing if we didn’t stop the 10 he might never coach Liverpool. Can you imagine him failing at  Everton and getting the Liverpool job? Moreover, imagine him succeeding at Everton and then leaving to coach Liverpool. He’d have to move his family to Glasgow.

58 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

IMO he's quite happy with his lot for now, still has cups to win for us and has access to European football up here. Another 2 years and he goes if the right offer comes in I reckon, he shouldn't be in any rush to take on a big budget or pressure elsewhere, he's still young in the manager game 

I’m worried Klopp doesn’t have two years left in him at Liverpool. He’s already an Anfield legend, he’s won everything at Liverpool, this was a long season for him just passed, you know his players are beginning to tune him out, his squad needs major turnover, and he is not backed by sovereign or oligarch money. If he leaves next year Liverpool will come calling for the gaffer. Off another title and automatic CL qualifying, you can’t see him saying no.

16 minutes ago, BuffaloUSAGers said:

I’m worried Klopp doesn’t have two years left in him at Liverpool. He’s already an Anfield legend, he’s won everything at Liverpool, this was a long season for him just passed, you know his players are beginning to tune him out, his squad needs major turnover, and he is not backed by sovereign or oligarch money. If he leaves next year Liverpool will come calling for the gaffer. Off another title and automatic CL qualifying, you can’t see him saying no.

Agreed mate but I think that would be too soon for Gerrard, he's still learning his craft, albeit at a fantastic pace.

If he's going to Liverpool, I imagine he wants to go when he feels he's won as much as he can with us and is confident he can compete at a higher level in terms of money and competitiveness in a domestic league.

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Agreed mate but I think that would be too soon for Gerrard, he's still learning his craft, albeit at a fantastic pace.

If he's going to Liverpool, I imagine he wants to go when he feels he's won as much as he can with us and is confident he can compete at a higher level in terms of money and competitiveness in a domestic league.

Yes but if Klopp calls it quits next year Gerrard is looking at the possibility of someone else being appointed and knocking it out of the park at Liverpool. One more year suddenly becomes seven or eight years. That’s his calculus.

Just now, BuffaloUSAGers said:

Yes but if Klopp calls it quits next year Gerrard is looking at the possibility of someone else being appointed and knocking it out of the park at Liverpool. One more year suddenly becomes seven or eight years. That’s his calculus.

Being 47/48 to take over at Liverpool? Think he can live with that.better to bide time and increase the chances of success than crash in and burn yourself like McCoist did.

24 minutes ago, BuffaloUSAGers said:

I hope you're wrong about Klopp and his situation at Liverpool, but you may well be correct and if Gerrard can deliver another title plus have a good European run again I don't think he would think twice about making the switch.

3 hours ago, Darth Bear said:

He doesn't need the money so he won't be going for the wage packet.

He is hardly the mercenary type that will just swop clubs.

He has recently said how much Rangers have become a part of him.

Unless Liverpool come calling he won't be leaving us for any other club.

That is exactly how I see it. :thumbup:

4 hours ago, Willis said:

Why would it end his chance of going to Liverpool? The Everton Liverpool rivalry is the softest and most forced rivalry in football imo, its not like they hate each other like us and the taigs

Not sure the County Road Cutters would agree.  

6 hours ago, Willis said:

Why would it end his chance of going to Liverpool? The Everton Liverpool rivalry is the softest and most forced rivalry in football imo, its not like they hate each other like us and the taigs

No idea ffs

8 hours ago, Willis said:

they sit mixed side by side eating pies and hot dogs,rivalry ma hole.
me personally have never LIKED the fenians from day one,and over the last 10 or so years it has festered to dimissive attitude towards the bastards.
They have absolutely fuck all i wish we had.

2 hours ago, RockwellGers said:

The thought of Gerrard leaving Rangers at any point in any way brings sadness into my heart tbh

In true Scottish fashion I expect the worst and hope for the best. 

I will be truly delighted if Steven Gerrard is still the Rangers manager at the start of the 22/23 season. If he gets past his 5th season with us I will be amazed. There is no doubt in my mind that he is Liverpool’s successor for Klopp

I just hope we have the foresight to be developing succession plans too because I suspect when Gerrard goes he will take many of his team with him. 

Looking forwards to next weeks story about Stevie leaving for yet another team.

These stories are without foundation as he is clearly staying for CL football and the challenge and love of our club.

It's becoming really boring now and just shows up outlets such as the Athletic (who were essentially slandering us about a werk ago) up as the uninformed clickbait cunts that they are. 

The Sun could write that he was signing for the scum and some on here would discuss it as if it were a serious likelihood ffs. 

1 hour ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Looking forwards to next weeks story about Stevie leaving for yet another team.

These stories are without foundation as he is clearly staying for CL football and the challenge and love of our club.

It's becoming really boring now and just shows up outlets such as the Athletic (who were essentially slandering us about a werk ago) up as the uninformed clickbait cunts that they are. 

The Sun could write that he was signing for the scum and some on here would discuss it as if it were a serious likelihood ffs. 

In fairness, the Athletic tends to have a bit more credibility. Although I did cancel my subscription after the 55 fallout. 

Probably now we're entering a phase where he will get linked with every new prem league job. Everton seems laughable considering he has a very real chance of getting the Liverpool job when klopp moves on. A season from now and a team similar to Everton comes in, who knows he might be tempted. 

Would be great if he gives us at least another season as we are surely favourites for the league going into next season 

9 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

Probably now we're entering a phase where he will get linked with every new prem league job. Everton seems laughable considering he has a very real chance of getting the Liverpool job when klopp moves on. A season from now and a team similar to Everton comes in, who knows he might be tempted. 

Would be great if he gives us at least another season as we are surely favourites for the league going into next season 

4/6 odds on favs