Life after Gerrard

esquire8

I think we will be well prepared when the day comes (hopefully not anytime soon) that Gerrard leaves.

One of the main reasons for a DOF is to allow the infrastructure to be kept and not have to tear everything up when a manager leaves. 

Wilson will have a shortlist of managers ready to go who can come in and utilise what we have in place.

Beale might well be on that list and perhaps history repeats itself like smith taking over from souness. 

I think this will be his last season with us too. If he takes us to the champions league this season and wins the league again then he’ll have done all he can with us (short of winning a treble and even then I don’t know if he would stick around to try and achieve that).

As far as a replacement goes, I don’t really like the idea of it being Beale. He might have aspirations to be a manger in his own right, but there’s so many horror appointments where clubs do internal appointments to keep continuity and the players can’t adapt to the assistant now being the main man (and yes, I know we did it with Smith but that was almost 30 years ago).

I suppose all we can do when Gerrard goes is trust that Wilson has already been doing his homework.

2 hours ago, Essandoh said:

In fairness, appointing Beale would be less of a risk than it was appointing Gerrard

Aye it would, but appointing Gerrard was a last throw of the dice. When he leaves hopefully he leaves us in a position of strength and we won't need to take as much of a gamble.

16 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

Aye it would, but appointing Gerrard was a last throw of the dice. When he leaves hopefully he leaves us in a position of strength and we won't need to take as much of a gamble.

I'm not sure which manager wouldn't be a gamble when you consider among the variables - the state of Scottish football and lack of money !!

10 minutes ago, LiverpoolBlue said:

I'm not sure which manager wouldn't be a gamble when you consider among the variables - the state of Scottish football and lack of money !!

Aye but there are different levels of gamble though. Someone who has never been a number 1 is a massive risk.

I wouldn’t say Beale moving his family to Scotland means much. I’d suspect Gerrard would take everyone with him.

Maybe Beale moving his family up shows Gerrard himself has intentions of being around for a while anyway.