Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

27 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

So you'd give the job to a man with no previous experience but you rate him anyway?  I'm mystified about this as if he is so good then why is he not managing another club on his own.  If he's so good why do we need Gerrard?    You worry about taking a gamble on another person with managerial experience but you'd take a gamble on someone totally unproven.  You say we could do a lot worse than Beale whereas I'd like to think we could do a lot better than him.

Gerrard was hired from a marketing point of view and that woked out immensely. The perfect man to handle the Scottish press. Gerrard has great work ethics and is probably a better manager now than when he arrived. But make no mistake, most of what he has learned comes from his backroom staff, especially Beale. He can't be underestimated.

4 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Have you not read my posts.

i’ve basically been spot on in the full thread.

What have you been spot on about. As in, facts. What has actually happened that you have been correct about. 

That may be a whoosh moment as in answer to your first question....no! 

Just now, MurrayWilson said:

I thought it was guaranteed this years winners automatically qualified? Is that not certain now?

I think that's dependent on who wins it this year? If it's a club out with the top 8 or 10 countries then I think it means we miss out. 

Unlikely though.

10 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

37 fuckin pages without even 1 creditable source/quote. Just a couple of weeks after the gaffer showed how much the club, it's people, mean to him (referring to his breakdown regarding Walter's passing). 

Pretty distasteful imo. 

Agree with you. Can’t see Gerrard moving on at this stage of the season and not for a no mark club like Villa. Thread so be non-existent until there is a development, IF there is a development.

4 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

I thought it was guaranteed this years winners automatically qualified? Is that not certain now?

It is likely but not certain. Something to do with the possibility of a team winning it but not qualifying through their league if I remember correctly

2 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

Who's got a Telegraph subscription? 

Steven Gerrard is interested in being Aston Villa's next manager, with the ambitious Midlands club set to make an official approach to Rangers.

Telegraph Sport understands Villa have made background checks on Gerrard and his potential staff, with the former England and Liverpool captain ready to speak with the club if Rangers grant permission

Gerrard is under contract until 2024 at Ibrox and the new deal, signed in December 2019, is understood to include a clause of £2 million plus, but compensation will not be a problem for Villa's owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens.

As Telegraph Sport reported on Sunday, Gerrard was the club’s first choice ahead of Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl and fills the criteria of the big-name manager whom Villa’s ambitious owners see as a fitting figurehead for their project.

On Monday, the club’s chief executive Christian Purslow addressed the Villa players who had not gone away on international duty at the club’s training ground and told them that the new manager would be in place in time for the following Monday. The club want a big name and a strong character and want that individual to make Villa a challenging and intense environment for the players.

ADVERTISING

Gerrard led Rangers to the Scottish Premiership title last season and was not planning to leave the club mid-season, but the lure of a big Premier League job is giving Villa encouragement of agreeing a deal. Villa are likely to also move for Gerrard's assistants Gary McAllister and Michael Beale if, as expected, talks are successful. 

McAllister has previously worked at Villa under Gerard Houllier, while Beale was on Cardiff City's shortlist for their vacant manager's job, and the pair's roles in transforming Rangers have also been crucial. 

The Belgium manager Roberto Martinez, formerly at Swansea City, Wigan Athletic and Everton, is another who has been under consideration by Villa. His side play their last World Cup qualifiers against Estonia on Saturday and then three days later in Cardiff on Tuesday against Wales.

Martinez is understood to be a realistic alternative if Villa fail to persuade Gerrard to succeed Dean Smith, who was sacked on Sunday after five defeats in a row.

Should Villa appoint Gerrard, it represents the next step in a hitherto steep rise in his coaching career. From taking over Liverpool Under-18s in 2017 to his part in the renaissance of Rangers, who won their 55th Scottish league title under him last year – blocking rivals Celtic from making it ten in a row over an unbeaten season.

The Denmark manager Kasper Hjulmand had earlier ruled himself out of contention. The 49-year-old’s team have qualified for next year’s World Cup finals without losing a game. He was part of a Danish football federation that recently visited the training ground as guests of sporting director Johan Lange. 

Hjalmund said: “I'm happy to be the Danish national coach, and I'm not going anywhere right now. I think I have only just started and I am in the process of finding out what this team can do.

“I love the job. For me, it is a big challenge to see how far we can go. How well we can get to play because we have a very exciting team with great potential.”

2 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

It is likely but not certain. Something to do with the possibility of a team winning it but not qualifying through their league if I remember correctly

I was thinking it's something like that. Couldn't remember exactly, but it was a very outside chance it would push us out of an automatic slot.

2 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

Steven Gerrard is interested in being Aston Villa's next manager, with the ambitious Midlands club set to make an official approach to Rangers.

Telegraph Sport understands Villa have made background checks on Gerrard and his potential staff, with the former England and Liverpool captain ready to speak with the club if Rangers grant permission

Gerrard is under contract until 2024 at Ibrox and the new deal, signed in December 2019, is understood to include a clause of £2 million plus, but compensation will not be a problem for Villa's owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens.

As Telegraph Sport reported on Sunday, Gerrard was the club’s first choice ahead of Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl and fills the criteria of the big-name manager whom Villa’s ambitious owners see as a fitting figurehead for their project.

On Monday, the club’s chief executive Christian Purslow addressed the Villa players who had not gone away on international duty at the club’s training ground and told them that the new manager would be in place in time for the following Monday. The club want a big name and a strong character and want that individual to make Villa a challenging and intense environment for the players.

ADVERTISING

Gerrard led Rangers to the Scottish Premiership title last season and was not planning to leave the club mid-season, but the lure of a big Premier League job is giving Villa encouragement of agreeing a deal. Villa are likely to also move for Gerrard's assistants Gary McAllister and Michael Beale if, as expected, talks are successful. 

McAllister has previously worked at Villa under Gerard Houllier, while Beale was on Cardiff City's shortlist for their vacant manager's job, and the pair's roles in transforming Rangers have also been crucial. 

The Belgium manager Roberto Martinez, formerly at Swansea City, Wigan Athletic and Everton, is another who has been under consideration by Villa. His side play their last World Cup qualifiers against Estonia on Saturday and then three days later in Cardiff on Tuesday against Wales.

Martinez is understood to be a realistic alternative if Villa fail to persuade Gerrard to succeed Dean Smith, who was sacked on Sunday after five defeats in a row.

Should Villa appoint Gerrard, it represents the next step in a hitherto steep rise in his coaching career. From taking over Liverpool Under-18s in 2017 to his part in the renaissance of Rangers, who won their 55th Scottish league title under him last year – blocking rivals Celtic from making it ten in a row over an unbeaten season.

The Denmark manager Kasper Hjulmand had earlier ruled himself out of contention. The 49-year-old’s team have qualified for next year’s World Cup finals without losing a game. He was part of a Danish football federation that recently visited the training ground as guests of sporting director Johan Lange. 

Hjalmund said: “I'm happy to be the Danish national coach, and I'm not going anywhere right now. I think I have only just started and I am in the process of finding out what this team can do.

“I love the job. For me, it is a big challenge to see how far we can go. How well we can get to play because we have a very exciting team with great potential.”

The only quotes in the article come from a Dane saying no. Until I hear it from the horses mouth, i will look at it as media sensationalism.