New Manager exciting times.

Smile

4 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Feyenoord have or had the highest average attendance in the league no? 15,000 odd more than PSV.

He's not won a league with a Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen.

Not sure how average attendance has a bearing at all on how you rate a manager's performance?

Like saying Moyes isn't doing that well at WH because they have the 3rd or 4th highest attendance.

4 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

Not sure how average attendance has a bearing at all on how you rate a manager's performance?

Like saying Moyes isn't doing that well at WH because they have the 3rd or 4th highest attendance.

The context of the conversation was about how big Feyenoord are in comparison to the other Dutch clubs, BIB's statement was that Gio had 'no right' winning the league with them given who they were up against which was overplaying it a bit imo.

You could say that about McLaren ten years ago for Twente but not talking about Feyenoord winning the league.

Btw - I said Gio winning it was a great achievement, but also think it needs to be taken into consideration he was at the club and in that league for about a decade before it happened.

24 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

They won the champions league and will probably win the title this year :lol: 

ye ye hindsight and all that - who's to say Lampard would not have achieved the same - fact is Chelsea are now on their 16th manager in 15 years. 16 for fuck sake.  Bet you wanted Gerrard bulleted during the zoom title season, as well as the rest who found that funny.

It was an atrocious decision which just so happened to work out - give Tuchel losing three games on the spin and he'll be out on his arse as well.

Fact is you can't judge Lampard on a wee sticky spell.  Manchester United were about sack Alex Ferguson before Mark Hughes scored in he last minute of a semi v Oldham.  Would that have been the right decision?

And again I will say for about the 10th time I'm aboard the Gio train but if that falls through then more than happy for Lampard to take over.

2 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

The context of the conversation was about how big Feyenoord are in comparison to the other Dutch clubs, BIB's statement was that Gio had 'no right' winning the league with them given who they were up against which was overplaying it a bit imo.

You could say that about McLaren ten years ago for Twente but not talking about Feyenoord winning the league.

Feyenoord is a bit like someone winning the league with Arsenal or Spurs right now. Hardly shock of the century, but still something that deserves major praise. I think the fact Gio is one of the most decorated managers in their history and done it in his stint as a manager says it all.

8 minutes ago, onlythestrongsurvive said:

ye ye hindsight and all that - who's to say Lampard would not have achieved the same - fact is Chelsea are now on their 16th manager in 15 years. 16 for fuck sake.  Bet you wanted Gerrard bulleted during the zoom title season, as well as the rest who found that funny.

It was an atrocious decision which just so happened to work out - give Tuchel losing three games on the spin and he'll be out on his arse as well.

Fact is you can't judge Lampard on a wee sticky spell.  Manchester United were about sack Alex Ferguson before Mark Hughes scored in he last minute of a semi v Oldham.  Would that have been the right decision?

And again I will say for about the 10th time I'm aboard the Gio train but if that falls through then more than happy for Lampard to take over.

Stopped reading after this

15 minutes ago, BlueVanguard said:

Keep hearing people saying our debt is that bad future managers will not touch us. Any manager walking in now is inheriting a squad good enough to win this league. Still in all cup competitions and a chance of Champions League football. It is all on a plate.

The only people ive heard saying that are tims to be fair, the majority of pundits, ex-players or anyone who has a clue what they’re talking about have talked it up as a great job. And so they should. Its an opportunity, and a very good one at that. 
The last Manager that left us in a decent position was Souness. Walter Smith in his second spell could be argued but he knew what was going on behind the scenes. 

Bizarrely this could actually turn out a godsend. When laid bare Gerrard,although always be grateful for 55 and stopping 9.75 in a row,had an atrocious record in the cup competitions. 

A new manager coming in may well invigorate and breathe life into what was clearly a wishy washy season (albeit four clear of Savco despite the media fawning over angeshite),and we may finally be able to beat St Mirren and St Johnstone in cup competition. 

Roll on 56. 

Feyenoord for about 6/7 years before they won that title were on their knees financially and were literally days away from bankruptcy. They were saved by investors who took over the debt by buying shares but wanted the money back on their investment which is fair enough.

Even though they were safe they still had to essentially pay their debts back to the investors. Any money they made was kept by the investors to pay back what they owed for saving the club.

So despite being arguably the second biggest, if not the biggest club in Holland in terms of potential and size they've had to be extremely frugal over the last decade. Recently they have started to move closer to PSV in terms of revenue, wage bill etc while PSV have loaded themselves with debt.

Part of the reason for them to have the ability to better off financially now than 5 years ago was because or smart managerial choices by bringing in Koeman and the job that Gio done while there. Without the league success and CL qualification and the EL qualification they wouldnt have been able to improve to where they are financially today. The only problem is Ajax have ballooned as a club in last 4/5 years.

That league success in 16/17 in terms of wage budget etc was the equivalent of us winning the title somewhere between Pedro's summer in charge and Gerrard's first season, though Feyenoord were much more settled at a club regarding the football due to Koeman, Rutten & Gio. Also Feyenoord has two more wealthy clubs to overcome rather than one.

34 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

:lol:

Been trying to get this message across for days. People seem to think that our players who have grew up working their arse off to get to Rangers will not be able to operate because the next manager might not be as famous as Gerrard:lol:

Almost all of our signings mentioned his influence in getting them to come to us, its not that they might not be able to operate, its more they might not operate as well or they just might not have the same desire. I’m not saying that will actually happen, its just that its not exactly unheard of in football. 

1 hour ago, WWTC said:

Almost all of our signings mentioned his influence in getting them to come to us, its not that they might not be able to operate, its more they might not operate as well or they just might not have the same desire. I’m not saying that will actually happen, its just that its not exactly unheard of in football. 

All our signings have been reading off scripts for as long as interviews existed. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a factor but people seem to overstate the relevance. Look at what he has done to boys like Katic and McCrorie, he's built them up then fucked them off.

See if my boss was a celebrity who I idolised growing up but was a prick in real life? Guess what? I'd think he was a prick.

Respect should be earned and not taken for granted. 

It's not like the players have been leaving everything out on the pitch and running through brick walls for him. They have been playing within their shells outwith a few games such as Motherwell away.

51 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

All our signings have been reading off scripts for as long as interviews existed. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a factor but people seem to overstate the relevance. Look at what he has done to boys like Katic and McCrorie, he's built them up then fucked them off.

See if my boss was a celebrity who I idolised growing up but was a prick in real life? Guess what? I'd think he was a prick.

Respect should be earned and not taken for granted. 

It's not like the players have been leaving everything out on the pitch and running through brick walls for him. They have been playing within their shells outwith a few games such as Motherwell away.

I dont doubt the interviews are scripted to a degree, but a blind man could see the lure of working with gerrard enhanced our prospects of signing certain players. There’s no denying that. Katic was injured and loaned out for his own good. McCrorie? I’m assuming you mean Ross, who simply isnt and wasnt ever good enough to play for us. 

Again, that might be the case, but no one’s suggesting the players all thought he was a prick. 

He earned respect as a player and that carried over into Management as far as I’m aware. 

I agree we’ve suffered a dip this season, but the ran through brick walls for him not so long ago, we just haven’t continued it into this season. 

1 hour ago, WWTC said:

I dont doubt the interviews are scripted to a degree, but a blind man could see the lure of working with gerrard enhanced our prospects of signing certain players. There’s no denying that. Katic was injured and loaned out for his own good. McCrorie? I’m assuming you mean Ross, who simply isnt and wasnt ever good enough to play for us. 

Again, that might be the case, but no one’s suggesting the players all thought he was a prick. 

He earned respect as a player and that carried over into Management as far as I’m aware. 

I agree we’ve suffered a dip this season, but the ran through brick walls for him not so long ago, we just haven’t continued it into this season. 

Of course the chance to play for him would be an attractive proposition at first and you'd want to impress and try your best to get in his team.

Even before Katic was injured he was being fucked around. Gerrard telling the press he 'loved' him then when he made a mistake he was quickly out the team. Goldson could make countless mistakes but would never be dropped. Yeah Ross McCrorie, i'm not saying he was good enough but Gerrard made a show of publicly criticising the previous management and how they could have ruined him, whilst praising him himself only to fuck him off later on.

It's the same now with the boy Kelly, had him involved all pre-season and the boy did well then the season starts and the boy doesn't get near it.

I'm not claiming to know the players thought that he was a prick but he treated us with contempt and if that is anything to go by then there is a fair chance some of them do.

6 hours ago, Skyson1872 said:

Feyenoord is a bit like someone winning the league with Arsenal or Spurs right now. Hardly shock of the century, but still something that deserves major praise. I think the fact Gio is one of the most decorated managers in their history and done it in his stint as a manager says it all.

It is like winning the league at Leicester then getting the sack, it's just not going to happen as you would be a King......

Oh wait, that is the kind of thing I despise about that overrated shit-show of a league

1 hour ago, plumbGER said:

Of course the chance to play for him would be an attractive proposition at first and you'd want to impress and try your best to get in his team.

Even before Katic was injured he was being fucked around. Gerrard telling the press he 'loved' him then when he made a mistake he was quickly out the team. Goldson could make countless mistakes but would never be dropped. Yeah Ross McCrorie, i'm not saying he was good enough but Gerrard made a show of publicly criticising the previous management and how they could have ruined him, whilst praising him himself only to fuck him off later on.

It's the same now with the boy Kelly, had him involved all pre-season and the boy did well then the season starts and the boy doesn't get near it.

I'm not claiming to know the players thought that he was a prick but he treated us with contempt and if that is anything to go by then there is a fair chance some of them do.

I cant disagree with much of that, alot of good points to be fair. My concern is that we have some players, not all but some, who will take it negatively and it will impact on how they perform. It’ll be a strange first session back for them and I just hope the unity that we’ve seen over the seasons was not solely down to the backroom staff and that the atmosphere and morale isnt one of doom and gloom.