New Manager exciting times.

Smile

2 hours ago, shaka said:

I really hope we get Gio.  Imagine being a player who has been getting coached by Gerrard and the replacement is another legendary midfielder who achieved even more in his playing career!

Added bonus.... Geo's English is far better too!

See all this pish that the players might not show the manager the same respect cos its not Steven Gerrard, I don't buy into that at all.

I bet there have been players who idolised Gerrard as a player but then when working with him every day the respect diminished. He puts demands on players, which is fine to an extent, but he also needs to realise that players do not have the attributes to do the things he could as a player.

If he starts getting arsey with them it doesn't matter he is Steven Gerrard who had a great playing career, he is your boss and he is a prick.

1 minute ago, plumbGER said:

See all this pish that the players might not show the manager the same respect cos its not Steven Gerrard, I don't buy into that at all.

I bet there have been players who idolised Gerrard as a player but then when working with him every day the respect diminished. He puts demands on players, which is fine to an extent, but he also needs to realise that players do not have the attributes to do the things he could as a player.

If he starts getting arsey with them it doesn't matter he is Steven Gerrard who had a great playing career, he is your boss and he is a prick.

I've not read any Rangers players wishing him well or sad to see him go on social media.

I actually get the sentiment of this thread, and on paper it’s totally right.  But i’ve never been able to shake off an eskbank post from a couple of years ago about how Gerrard was basically the glue holding the club together.

Commercially we’re still a disgrace and as to the footballing department, i fear its the same story. All the posts in the summer about what a well run modern football club we are were nothing more than 55 honeymoon material. From what i can see we’re still bargain basement as fuck with shite scouting, and the last time Park was in charge of hiring a manager we ended up with Pedro. Time for Ross Wilson to finally put some substance to all his talk of the great progress made and Premier League standards instilled throughout the club.  

37 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

I've not read any Rangers players wishing him well or sad to see him go on social media.

The silence maybe says it all. Its a tough love with Gerrard and his players and look at Katic for example. 1 minute he loves him and the next he doesn't.

Trying to get average players to have the ability, both mentally and physically, to play the game the way he did just simply doesn't happen.

Everything he does is for show and to look good publicly, it's all just one big PR game with him. False as fuck and it doesn't matter if you are Steven Gerrard or Stevie fae the bookies on Still Game, if you are a smug cunt to the guys you work with they will hate you.

3 hours ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Plenty of players have liked the posts on Instagram where he thanked the club - Tav, Defoe, Davis, Kamara, Katic, Barisic - to name a few.

I would imagine the players have probably been asked or advised not to publicly comment on it because of the circumstances of his departure, and because of how pissed off everybody is at the moment. I actually imagine that’s why Tavernier, the club captain is the one person who has commented on it on social media - and with words that were classy and dignified.

Infact, that seems like a more sensible theory than “the players probably hated him” which nobody has ever seen any indication of at all during his time here. Infact for the most part I would say it’s been the complete opposite.

3 hours ago, plumbGER said:

Yep. Know what you’re saying here mate. Had thoughts that the players were starting to switch off from his possible badgering the team. You can push so far and the lose the squad. I have the feeling that some players will be glad he’s gone. You have to keep a team fresh and ready to go for you as a manager. 

17 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Plenty of players have liked the posts on Instagram where he thanked the club - Tav, Defoe, Davis, Kamara, Katic, Barisic - to name a few.

I would imagine the players have probably been asked or advised not to publicly comment on it because of the circumstances of his departure, and because of how pissed off everybody is at the moment. I actually imagine that’s why Tavernier, the club captain is the one person who has commented on it on social media - and with words that were classy and dignified.

Infact, that seems like a more sensible theory than “the players probably hated him” which nobody has ever seen any indication of at all during his time here. Infact for the most part I would say it’s been the complete opposite.

Exactly. Look at the player’s reactions when he did a Klinsman along the dressing room floor in his his suit ffs. :lol: 

10 minutes ago, SPWF said:

Exactly. Look at the player’s reactions when he did a Klinsman along the dressing room floor in his his suit ffs. :lol: 

There has clearly been something off this season, but I don’t think the players getting sick of Gerrard, or not liking him, is one of them. If it was you wouldn’t have seen the celebrations after the Motherwell game where everybody, Gerrard included, looked delighted.

1 minute ago, tm91 said:

Getting Gio would be a massive deal. To be honest, I think plenty of us were primed to believe, even just subconsciously, that Gerrard was some sort of anomaly and that all of our success and renaissance revolved purely around him being at Ibrox. He's a global icon of football, a figurehead who understood the demands of a massive football club etc etc etc. There's always that instinctive and nagging fear that we'd be fucked and stuck to rot in mediocrity again under a piss-poor manager like before as soon as he left.

Getting in someone with the credentials of Gio is a statement that the club's progress goes on. We obviously don't know if it'll work out, but on paper he's at least equal to Gerrard as a manager - he's arguably even an improvement on what we had. That'd be an incredible development and should be a source for real optimism.

I was slightly worried that we would do what celtic did when Rodgers left. They didn’t push on when he left and because of their own arrogance they ended up collapsing because thought appointing somebody like Lennon would be enough to get by.

I didn’t think we would do it through arrogance, but through a fear of missing out in whats at stake, I did worry that we would possibly say nope this isn’t the time to go pursing box office names. Let’s just play it safe and get a McInnes or a Davidson in for now.

Thankfully it looks like we aren’t doing that and we are hopefully appointing somebody who can keep the feel good feeling we have about the club going, while continuing to develop it on the pitch too.

18 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Yep. Know what you’re saying here mate. Had thoughts that the players were starting to switch off from his possible badgering the team. You can push so far and the lose the squad. I have the feeling that some players will be glad he’s gone. You have to keep a team fresh and ready to go for you as a manager. 

Yip, when they are working with him every day he is no longer a celebrity but their boss. He's far from infallible himself.

I think replacing Gerrard as a manager is not so much the issue but replacing that whole backroom team is more of a worry. It seems the replacements will at most have an idea of who they want as an assistant who initially will cover for that whole group. Gerrard had a good team around him that probably saved him from failure. 

5 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Most players dont run their own IG accounts maybe, so its essentially down to the PR company when posts are liked etc