Best Player For Rangers

2 hours ago, jamess said:

I understand that choice completely. Give him 10/10. But only with us 4 years. If you give cooper only 9/10, the fact he was with us for 12 years.........well ......

Cooper's best years were before my time watching us, though.

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

In my lifetime Davie Cooper.

If he was born 25 years later he would have been acknowledged as a world class player and probably played for a Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Aye you're bang on mate, it was to his detriment that coops had to suffer playing alongside a lot of mediocre players for most of his time with us, always two moves ahead of everyone around him, no wonder he couldn't be arsed a hell of a lot of the time he played, just wish the Souness revolution happened a couple of years earlier then we would have all seen what the real Davie Cooper was all about.

For me though there have been many great players who played for Rangers, Gascoigne and Laudrup were a cut above the rest, different players to each other with different qualities but both truly world class.

Hard to say who was best. Similar to the argument on who was the best between Messi and Ronaldo, like Messi, Gazza was the most naturally gifted and similar to Ronaldo, Laudrup was ahead on shear athleticism.

If I had to choose one I would say Gascoigne just shaded it.

6 hours ago, blueballss said:

Ally the Timslayer

Liked Gregor Stevens tenacity and was fortunate to share a changing room with him.

Gregor spent a lot of his time in changing rooms during his time with Rangers. I only recall him because he was sent off a lot.😮

I know he wasn't a huge name,but this guy played over 300 matches for us in the shadow of arguably Rangers best player,the one and only Jim Baxter,and his name was Dave Smith.
He played for us because of a promise to his older brother,who was a Rangers fan and it was said at the time he had a couple of big English clubs looking at him.
He really was a special player to me,and Dave still does Corporate.
I was lucky enough to get to meet some of the best players i ever saw in Alex McDonald,Wullie Henderson,Colin Stein and Dave Smith. 
The shame was Dave never won a title and only ever got 2 caps.

8 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

I mentioned this earlier today on a thread, but there is a tendency to look back with Rose tinted specs at the past. 

There will never be another player as good as Laudrup or Gazza in a Rangers shirt for the rest of my life. And when I think back how good they were, them it's amazing the side was so poor in Europe.

But then look at that team/squad when Juve humped us. A fair few of them wouldn't get near our team of last season. John Brown might be a cult hero but he was very limited as a player. Charlie Miller and Gary Bollan were useless. Some great players in there but some bang average and mediocre ones as well.

Neil Murray and Brian Reid wouldn't get in last seasons squad, but on the bench there.

We don't have the stars of the past anymore, but the overall quality across the squad is as high today.

The Advocaat side was one of tremendous quality as well.

Screenshot_20211119-234004_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0606ec099f643b3ecb5b13e575f16473.jpg

Is that line up you’ve posted not partly due to the three foreigner rule though? Can’t remember when it was scrapped but it was a real hindrance to progress in Europe around then. 

9 hours ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Mate Cuellar went through a period where it was literally like watching a man play against 12 year olds. He was colossal. Really surprised he didn’t go to the very top because he was immense, I was gutted when he left. More so than anybody else we’ve sold on. 

Him and Weir in the Europa run were a wall.

11 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Brian Laudrup…

Best player i’ve ever seen and i suspect the best player i will ever see.

For anyone born in the late 70s and 80s he is near impossible to beat. Had him during his peak and was 2 or 3 levels above anyone else in the league during 9iar.

Laudrup overall for performances, but I think in terms of pure talent, Gascoigne. If he had looked after his body and screwed the nut he might have been the greatest player England ever produced. He could have been ballon d'or level.

Honourable mention for consistency and level of performances to McCoist, Goram and Barry Ferguson.

11 minutes ago, CoplandRoad83 said:

Laudrup overall for performances, but I think in terms of pure talent, Gascoigne. If he had looked after his body and screwed the nut he might have been the greatest player England ever produced. He could have been ballon d'or level.

Honourable mention for consistency and level of performances to McCoist, Goram and Barry Ferguson.

If Gascoigne went to Man Utd instead of Spurs he would've been up there with the greatest. But then again he wouldn't have ever came to us.

If we are talking best player in their position it's probably Souness, but he was at the end of his career so we never seen the best of him.

We also had the 1st million £ player in Trevor Francis (also end of career) 

Also Ray Wilkins falls into that category.

On paper you can't look past McCoist for his stats.

Richard Gough is the best defender I've seen at Rangers.

Laudrup,Gazza Cooper you cannot split.

But if I was pushed to say one, the best there's been it surely has to be......

.... Alan Gow 

Nah, Slim Jim Baxter all day long.

15 hours ago, SANDYGER said:

Laudrup, everytime he had the ball you just knew something was going to happen.

Absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer who was so far ahead of anybody in our league with the exception of Gazza of course.

I can't recall him ever having a poor or average game

Bit or an aside here. He's my favourite ever player but I'm sure he did have games in Europe when he never got a sniff. Some of our performances in Europe in the 90s given the team we had was baffling. I put it down probably to lack of elite fitness against teams like Juve, lack of sharpness when the qualifiers came around early and maybe a little bit of tactical naivety at times against top teams, which i think led to Sir Walters pragmatism second time round. Like all of the greats, he learned.