Best Player For Rangers

1 hour ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Mad to think we had Laudrup and Gazza in the same midfield.

We also had Albertz and Stuart McCall in the same midfield. Unbelievable really. In saying that i mind we had the 4 of them on the park the night grasshoppers pumped us 3 nil.  Just shows it doesnt always work the way it should.The worst euro trip i ever went on football wise.  

Laudrup for me. When he arrived Walter allowed him to have a free role to win us matches. He never really had that freedom at Bayern etc. We were set up to be solid and feed the ball to Laudrup and boy did he deliver.😄😄

Some brilliant answers in the thread 👏

Few obvious ones and some unsung heroes being mentioned. It is mainly down to the era in which we are born really.

I never got the chance to see Davie Cooper play for us, but I do remember his latter days and he still had a lot in the locker. From what I've seen, he would be up there. 

Gazza was one of if not the most naturally gifted player I've seen play for us. He would be so quiet, show some absolute genius to win the game, then go quiet again. Job done. 

I would say Laudrup edges it for me as he was more consistent than Gazza and more reliable. You knew you were always going to get a 7/10 at worst with Laudrup. 

The Goalie and Coisty have to get a mention as well. I think there was a time where either of those guys walk into most teams in Europe. We love them, but I feel they are under rated in some quarters because they spent most of their careers in Scotland. 

10 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Yer talking shite mate. I loved Ian Ferguson but Barry was far superior

Ian was an absolute warrior. Again under rated, but Mr consistency. One you would love to have in the trenches with you.

There was a point though in Barry's first spell with us when he was undoubtedly one of the best young midfielders in Europe. controlled games against some of the best.

9 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Ian was an absolute warrior. Again under rated, but Mr consistency. One you would love to have in the trenches with you.

There was a point though in Barry's first spell with us when he was undoubtedly one of the best young midfielders in Europe. controlled games against some of the best.

Ian Ferguson was very much a fan favourite. Loved him as a player. 100% commited. Could play a bit too and loved to lay down an early marker 😄... and he hated them 😄😄. Barry was a more gifted footballer though.

I mentioned this earlier today on a thread, but there is a tendency to look back with Rose tinted specs at the past. 

There will never be another player as good as Laudrup or Gazza in a Rangers shirt for the rest of my life. And when I think back how good they were, them it's amazing the side was so poor in Europe.

But then look at that team/squad when Juve humped us. A fair few of them wouldn't get near our team of last season. John Brown might be a cult hero but he was very limited as a player. Charlie Miller and Gary Bollan were useless. Some great players in there but some bang average and mediocre ones as well.

Neil Murray and Brian Reid wouldn't get in last seasons squad, but on the bench there.

We don't have the stars of the past anymore, but the overall quality across the squad is as high today.

The Advocaat side was one of tremendous quality as well.

Screenshot_20211119-234004_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0606ec099f643b3ecb5b13e575f16473.jpg

9 minutes ago, teddybear1975 said:

Ian Ferguson was very much a fan favourite. Loved him as a player. 100% commited. Could play a bit too and loved to lay down an early marker 😄... and he hated them 😄😄. Barry was a more gifted footballer though.

I remember Ian Ferguson used to play these outside of the boot passes over to Davie Robertson all the time. Almost like a toe poke \ daisy cutter but with some pace and swerve. 

Used to always try those passes when I played, to varying success.

20 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

I mentioned this earlier today on a thread, but there is a tendency to look back with Rose tinted specs at the past. 

There will never be another player as good as Laudrup or Gazza in a Rangers shirt for the rest of my life. And when I think back how good they were, them it's amazing the side was so poor in Europe.

But then look at that team/squad when Juve humped us. A fair few of them wouldn't get near our team of last season. John Brown might be a cult hero but he was very limited as a player. Charlie Miller and Gary Bollan were useless. Some great players in there but some bang average and mediocre ones as well.

Neil Murray and Brian Reid wouldn't get in last seasons squad, but on the bench there.

We don't have the stars of the past anymore, but the overall quality across the squad is as high today.

Screenshot_20211119-234004_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0606ec099f643b3ecb5b13e575f16473.jpg

Hardly say John Brown was a limited player. Could play CB, LB or in the middle of the park. And anyway even if he was a limited player he won 8 league titles in a row and never shat the bed once like a good chunk of the current squad have done on many an occasion.

36 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

Charlie Miller was useless.....away and don't talk shite, granted he probably ruined his career but to suggest he was useless is moronic 

McCoist for me, unquestionably.

Laudrup is a close second and was an incredible player who had a hand in some of our greatest achievements. McCoist was alongside him for all of them and his stats are unbelievable.

550+ games and 350+ goals. Many of them crucial and if he didn't score we wouldn't have won. A living legend.

16 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Hardly say John Brown was a limited player. Could play CB, LB or in the middle of the park. And anyway even if he was a limited player he won 8 league titles in a row and never shat the bed once like a good chunk of the current squad have done on many an occasion.

He talks so much shite :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Pure_Quality said:

McCoist for me, unquestionably.

Laudrup is a close second and was an incredible player who had a hand in some of our greatest achievements. McCoist was alongside him for all of them and his stats are unbelievable.

550+ games and 350+ goals. Many of them crucial and if he didn't score we wouldn't have won. A living legend.

What an absolutely stunning goal that was against Leeds, you've got to remember the level of football we were back then, the very highest in Europe, compared to now it's night and day.