Bassey

scottyc06

4 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

He tried to do a Bougherra and made a cunt of it. I find it strange that we are praising him for that.

Goldson and many others were guilty of bad passes in what was an uncommon night of constantly losing possession.

Great athlete, has a great attitude and has huge potential but he is not a CH despite decent performances filling in.

Well if you want Simpson CH, see how that works out. Bassey has played LB and CH gives his all and hasn't made too many mistakes. 

He's 21, he's never going to be the finished article, but he stands in when called upon and does a good job. 

I thought he done well overall and I like that he's aggressive when in possession as well as defending.  Still very raw though.  There were a couple of times he lost possession going forward into a wall of opposition players when he could've played a quicker pass.  He also needs to work on his positional sense.  At one point he chased a midfielder right across the pitch and Hibs managed to get a cross in which Tav had to clear because he'd had to go and cover for Bassey.  He's definitely improving though and having Barisic supporting him as a more traditional defensive left back has helped in my opinion.

2 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

He is fantastic and will make us huge money some day.

He is only like 6 months older than Patterson, and to be quite honest, he should be considered every bit as much of a prospect.

There was one moment in the second half when he was getting frustrated with the lack of movement and drove through their midfield himself. Unfortunately he slipped a belter, but it seemed to spark the rest of team into life a bit. I could see him adding this to his game from centre back.

Bougy ish 

Hes the best defender for defending outwith helander wh have, simple as.

Hes what we need, 2 pressing centre hawfs pushing up as a unit squeezing these shitey spl teams and getting infront and tight of the opposition, taking the baw and recycling it.

Goldson and balogun have been getting pumped aw season cause how laxzy daisy we start off! See cup semi final

Hes a unit, he has desire, determination, will to win and willing to put his body on the line, few others could learn from him.

What would we pay a club in England for him currently???

5 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

Hes the best defender for defending outwith helander wh have, simple as.

Hes what we need, 2 pressing centre hawfs pushing up as a unit squeezing these shitey spl teams and getting infront and tight of the opposition, taking the vaw and recycling it.

Hes a unit, he has desire, determination, will to win and willing to put his body on the line, few others could learn from him.

What would we pay a club in England for him currently???

Leicester were pissed when he moved to us mate. He’s got a serious career ahead of him. 👍

1 minute ago, Hadron Collider said:

Leicester were pissed when he moved to us mate. He’s got a serious career ahead of him. 👍

I've backed him whole time. I can see a player after a few games.

Aggressive, strong and willing to put it in where ut hurts. We have a team full on nicey softy players.

Only him, Jack, arfield, morelos would have any aggression about them

McGregor tae but unfortunately he's between the sticks, barasic ears were burning again the night....

3 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Now I’ve seen him in a proper back line as a CB I’m amazed he came in as a LB. 

Calvin Bassey is NOT a CH. He is doing an admirable job filling in atm but he will eventually cost us in that position. He's not very good in the air for starters. No one in the team was more than a 5 or 6 last night but you wouldn't know it reading this thread.

8 hours ago, scottyc06 said:

What we saying then? Developed into a CB? 

Genuinely think he can do the (obviously at delifferent levels) Maldini number of being equally proficient at CB or LB.

There's something I really like about him at CB. Good contrast to Goldson. Goldson sits there as a big barrier (not a fully effective one recently, but that's another matter) whilst Bassey cuts aboot getting stuck in.

Could be quite an effective wee partnership given time imo 

8 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

He is fantastic and will make us huge money some day.

He is only like 6 months older than Patterson, and to be quite honest, he should be considered every bit as much of a prospect.

There was one moment in the second half when he was getting frustrated with the lack of movement and drove through their midfield himself. Unfortunately he slipped a belter, but it seemed to spark the rest of team into life a bit. I could see him adding this to his game from centre back.

When he did slip, I am sure he was straight back up and chasing back.

12 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Calvin Bassey is NOT a CH. He is doing an admirable job filling in atm but he will eventually cost us in that position. He's not very good in the air for starters. No one in the team was more than a 5 or 6 last night but you wouldn't know it reading this thread.

The boy has only played there 3-4 times and already looks as good if not better than any of the shite CBs the rat signed. Hes 21 and is also a stand out for us at FB if needed.

As for your , will eventually cost us , comment. Goldson has cost us many times this year and is always the first name on the team sheet , even last night he could have cost us with his ridiculous passing to any player with a green top on.

Bassey is going to make us a fortune , we will be making fuck all off Goldson........

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

Only a matter of time before he's going to cost us, his positional sense is awful and as you say is very poor in the air for his size. 

After we scored he lumped it out or up the park when there was an easy ball on to keep the ball 2 or 3 times. Loads of energy and enthusiasm but I don't see a player in the big boy at all.

2 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

When he came it was said he was comfortable at centre half as well as left back iirc,

One of his old Leicester coaches said he liked playing Bassey at CB as he felt his skillset was better suited there than LB but Bassey absolutely hated it/hates it. 

after a few games anyone expecting him to not to make mistakes in a new role are just harsh.

from what i have seen though he has the mentality and the determination to match his physical presence and in time will be a monster of a CB.

a few times i saw him take the ball out from the back, drag a player too him and pass it like all good defenders do in modern football.

very encouraging performances.

I remember reading a report many moons ago in 4-4-2 or something similar, where they interviewed a Dutch youth team coach at Ajax. 

He mentioned that playing right footed players at LCB was madness and something that weakens how a side plays out from the back, defensive shape and even their starting point at set pieces. It’s something at the time Dutch football was really focusing on and when you look at the top top sides, they rarely have a right footed player at LCB. 

We’ve went from Balogun there conceding goals every game, to Bassey there and 2 clean sheets in 3…

11 hours ago, Fergie_6 said:

Looking like a good move from gio to drop balogun for him, he’s very fast, solid, big and reliable, he will make this position his own , I have no doubt.

Both he and Helander are very left footed though so it may well prevent them being effective as a partnership.