Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

5 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

He’s not the only one. The players definitely don’t have the level of sharpness that they had even last season.

Thought it was well known the players spent more time on ball work rather than fitness in preseason. The state of some of the players now is shocking.

24 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Then he's not a manager, he's a head coach. And one that allows us to think he's a manager as he sits in an office that says manager, and wears a managers badge whilst everyone refers to him as the manager.

If he's a coach then he needs to be clear with us that his job is to train and select players brought in for him. Then we can assess that objectively - imo he's doing shit at that too, but it's hugely undermined by awful recruitment strategy.

I know some say everything points to him being just a coach, or reading between the lines you can deduce he's only a coach, etc. But he needs asked directly his involvement / responsibility in the recruitment process and he needs to give a clear and unambiguous fucking answer.

Last night is as close as he’ll get to calling it out. I don’t think he’s a stupid guy but I also don’t think he thought he would have such little control that he seemingly does over recruitment. 

There isn’t a chance in hell him, Maakay and Vos don’t know of players in Holland etc that wouldn’t improve us. Just look at them, trusting their manager to sign 5 players off the bat he knew about from previous roles. Ten Hag at Utd as well, 3 players he knows in his first transfer window who all play regularly. 

I think it’s an utter joke we’re still putting belief in Wilson and GVB has completely lost faith in the recruitment team as well

Last Night was much, much better in terms of fight and performance. The players and management team need to show that in every single match when representing Rangers.

GVB is on thin ice. He is way too cautious when away from home. If he hasn't figured out yet that this group of players perform better on the front foot then he is likely going to end his time here sooner rather than later.

He is going to have to accept that the Goldson/Sands parternship is not working in Central defence, he is going to have to get rid of Zonal marking at corners, he is going to have to take "brave decisions" with the players that don't want to be here and fight for every inch (e.g. Kamara) and he is going to have to find a set up and personnel that can press constantly and attack with courage. 

Although last night was much better, having Jack, Davis and Lundstram in the same team is very conservative and the starting 11 is seriously really lacking in creativity. We need players who can split a defence 

I am of the view that he is not going to succeed here but remain hopeful that I am mistaken and he can turn it around

7 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Frightening that 9 of them were regular starters in Gerrard’s first season. 

It was Gerrards team and tactics.

I’d be interested if Gio and players have had a discussion regarding this and it was also noticeable we binned the zonal marking at corners.

3 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

I am blown away by the amount of fans that think because the player showed a wee bit more fight and determination that things will magically be ok. 

We are an absolute shambles atm. 

On here. Which posters and which posts?

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Lundstram was the same last season though early doors. 

I’m not sure if he’s carrying an injury but he looks miles off it tbh.

The lack of mobility in our team, especially midfield is frightening.

Really like GVB as a past player and person, but just don't think it's going to work out, so would rather we replaced him as early as possible.

If things continue to go wrong, then he is going to really get people beginning to dislike him and his legacy will be damaged more than if he leaves when it's clear he won't win us things.

Next manager can't be one made with the decision of 'he knows the club'. Next manager needs to 'know the game' and how to get the best out a group of players, and ideally be able to play offensively when needed.

6 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

You and anybody else that thinks the same are fucking wrong yins

His away revlcord is abysmal beyond beleief.

Made a cunt of it with the goal keepers.

Keeps playing sand at cb when everyone knows hes just not got it at cb.

Replace him before its to late and the season is done.

Far to negative a manager , the stuff at the back is fuckin brutal to watch every week. He has previous for playing this style of football and it never turned out well. The guy is never going to change this , hes dutch and they are stubborn bastards. If we have the cash I would get rid now , because its going to happen some time this season.

1 minute ago, sassaaaa said:

Far to negative a manager , the stuff at the back is fuckin brutal to watch every week. He has previous for playing this style of football and it never turned out well. The guy is never going to change this , hes dutch and they are stubborn bastards. If we have the cash I would get rid now , because its going to happen some time this season.

I don't disagree as I've always thought he's a fairly negative manager. But last night he went man for man all over the park and pressed as much as he could with the personnel we have. Thats bold and brave against such a top side. He done the exact same vs Leipzig in the semi final of the Europa league and vs celtic at Hampden. He simply doesn't have the squad to be able to do what he wants to do I think. 

I'm at the stage now where I don't think GVB is the man we need at this stage. But also that he's not the biggest problem. Ross Wilson and the recruitment team are. 

12 hours ago, eskbankloyal said:

I’m in 2 minds about Gio. I felt after the celtic/ajax games the game was up for him. He got a reaction out of the squad tonight & I’d say got it tactically right up until the red card. 

The squad he is playing with is an embarrassment though. 

I just can’t shake the feeling he isn’t going to cut it though. His domestic away record will be his downfall. 

Is the away record that bad? Out of 13 away league games last season he won 8, drew 4 and lost 1, one draw and one defeat to the tarriers and one away to Dundee united with one of the worst ref decisions ever seen that denied us a win

Hell even the county away draw was 3 individual errors, one by a guy we sold for 25mill

This season 1,1 and 1, we know the tarrier away loss, but the hibs away collum and morelos proceeded to fuck gio over 

I can't fault Gio for last night. For long periods I was delighted and felt that I had my team back. Even at 0-1 and down to 10 men Gio made aggressive subs and tried to get us back in the game. 

We competed well against Napoli and the fight was back. Wilson has to go but I have changed my mind about Gio who I would give the rest of the season to.