Rabbi Matondo

10 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Good for you. We're not talking about said players playing for their Country though. 

That makes no sense, mate. The reason they are internationalists is because they are good players, not squad players yet many will struggle to even get in our starting 11. We sold two starters and arguably replaced them with seven starters. I don't see how you don't think our squad is stronger. 

34 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Eh? Where did I say that? It absolutely is their job but we don't have competition in the squad, which was the point made above. 

Unless you can see Zalkowski starting over Tav when fully fit, Souttar over Goldson when fully fit or Sakala starting over Kent when fully fit? 

:lol: 

We have the best competition for places for the first time in a long time this season.

Bit mental to think we'd have players of the same standard sitting on the bench waiting for a player to either lose form or be injured. We have adequate replacements if that happens.

We are not Man City 

45 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

That makes no sense, mate. The reason they are internationalists is because they are good players, not squad players yet many will struggle to even get in our starting 11. We sold two starters and arguably replaced them with seven starters. I don't see how you don't think our squad is stronger. 

They are squad players, for us, regardless of if they start for their Country. 

29 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

We have the best competition for places for the first time in a long time this season.

Bit mental to think we'd have players of the same standard sitting on the bench waiting for a player to either lose form or be injured. We have adequate replacements if that happens.

Those 2 points contradict each other. 

If they aren't of the same standard where is the competition for places coming from? 

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I’ve always hated this argument. Stephen O’Donnell is pish, Eduardo Herrara beyond garbage. Being an internationalist doesn’t mean you’re a good player

The ones you describe are shite.

Jack, Souttar, Barisic, Sands, Helander, Tillman, Roofe & Colak (3 caps) are good capped players and yet may struggle to get in our starting 11 when everyone is available.

I don't see where people don't think our squad is stronger.

7 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Jack, Souttar, Barisic, Sands, Helander, Tillman, Roofe & Colak (3 caps) are good capped players and yet may struggle to get in our starting 11 when everyone is available.

I was just making a general point, because it’s the way a lot think.

9 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Who's actually arguing the squad isn't stronger? 

What post is it you're actually talking about that said we had a weaker squad?

28 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Who's actually arguing the squad isn't stronger? 

What post is it you're actually talking about that said we had a weaker squad?

You. You said the starting 11 don't have competition. We have already seen an improvement in Barisic and Kamara because they are looking over there shoulder as is 75% of the starting 11.

Itten out, Colak in - upgrade

Diallo out, Matondo in - upgrade

Ramsey out, Tillman in - upgrade

Balogun out, Souttar in - upgrade

Aribo out, Tillman in - too soon to say

Bassey out, Yilmaz in - too soon to say

Add to that Davies, Lawrence in and Goldson extended with Morelos hopefully joining him in a new deal. Their value to the club has jumped enormously by extending their contracts.

So, for my money, the squad is better, younger and worth more.

Can’t ask for more from a transfer window imo.

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

You. You said the starting 11 don't have competition. We have already seen an improvement in Barisic and Kamara because they are looking over there shoulder as is 75% of the starting 11.

I didn't say the squad wasn't strong. The squad is stronger in terms of numbers and upgrades on most players out. Players we know that can fill in but we don't have 2 players for every position competing it out because we have, almost, 11 places nailed down. 

What places are up for competition in your view other than GK and the 3rd centre mid spot on?

It's early days but I'd imagine if Morelos is fit he'll start over Colak, if Kent is fit he starts over Sakala, Motondo over Wright, Tav for the Polish boy, Lundstram over Davis etc.

The only way the squad players are likely getting a game for us is either through injury/suspension/rotation unless Sands starts over Davies after we spunked 3.5 million on him? Can't see it. 

49 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Souttar's an upgrade on Balogun? That's just flat out untrue 

Don't think Souttar is nearly as good as many on here claim. 

Looked poor vs WHU and Spurs.

No idea why many claim hes better than Balogun, not even close imo, has time to improve though.

7 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

Itten out, Colak in - upgrade

Diallo out, Matondo in - upgrade

Ramsey out, Tillman in - upgrade

Balogun out, Souttar in - upgrade

Aribo out, Tillman in - too soon to say

Bassey out, Yilmaz in - too soon to say

Add to that Davies, Lawrence in and Goldson extended with Morelos hopefully joining him in a new deal. Their value to the club has jumped enormously by extending their contracts.

So, for my money, the squad is better, younger and worth more.

Can’t ask for more from a transfer window imo.

How can you possibly say whether they are upgrades or not? How much have you seen any of these people play?

This time last year pundits and fans alike were raving about how we had 2 players in every position and a second 11 that was strong enough to compete for the league. In reality we couldn't even win it with our first 11.

Then we had people proclaiming Wilson a genius for signing Ramsay. We all know how that worked out.

This year nobody has learned any lessons and we are once again seemingly predestined for success based on the signing of a couple of lads from the second tier of English football and others from abroad who nobody had heard of or seen play, other than highlight reels on YouTube and a couple of sparring matches...

15 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

How can you possibly say whether they are upgrades or not? How much have you seen any of these people play?

That’s a fair point, mate - the post is based on initial impressions. Time will tell whether I’ve got any or all right although it won’t be difficult to contribute more than Diallo, Ramsey and Itten.

52 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

That’s a fair point, mate - the post is based on initial impressions. Time will tell whether I’ve got any or all right although it won’t be difficult to contribute more than Diallo, Ramsey and Itten.

People always overrate new signings. Diallo was a £30 million signing from Man Utd and Ramsay was 500k a week for Juventus. They came with much higher pedigree than Matondo and Lawrence. People were raving about Sakala after the Madrid game. You get the point..

The reality is we will be really lucky if as many as 3 out the 7 become really important players for us.

And we lost two starters worth £35 million.

Then you have to factor in how long it can take players to adjust to the Spl.

The bit that excites me is that we’ve signed positions we actually need to improve in. And so if Matondo turns out to be fantastic RW and Tillman an incredible goal scoring CAM.

Then that will be a bigger impact than losing a very good/potentially world class CB/LB in Bassey.

And as a cheeky prediction. My money is on Tillman to perform the best. Seems to impress a lot of people who see him up close.