Recruitment

Bydo

Something that I simply can’t stop thinking about this evening is how much more effective their recruitment is than ours.

By the end of last season, our profile was as high as it has been in decades. European finalists, praise from all quarters, defending champions after an unbeaten season (even though we ultimately lost the league) and with two big big name managers throughout the course of the season.

The question I have is why is our requirement on at least a level below theirs? Is it wages? I don’t honestly believe that transfer fees is an issue as they haven’t been spending multi-million pounds on players either. What makes them more attractive to players than us?

We absolutely could and should be able to attract players such as Jota, Abada, Kyogo and the like. They weren’t superstars when they came but someone over there knew they would tear up the Scottish league. Compare to players like Sakala that are absolutely fucking dug meat. The players that we do sign that have any kind of potential either end up injured or go missing when we need them, leaving us brining on shite like Wright at HT because we have nobody else.

Is it the board? Is it our scouting? All of the above?

Just now, siamthedanger said:

I have no doubt Gio had a list and ideas. The board doesn’t go that way though. 

I think you're being generous.

And if he's not getting his way then he should be doing something more than saying he's content with the squad.

To recruit properly you need to have money. Looks like we don't have enough. They have parted with over 40 million in the last three windows. We can't compete with that. Midfield three today were two free transfers and a 50k signing from Dundee. 

Our scouting and coaching looks piss poor and we have effectively been operating with a makeshift left center back since March when Bassey came in. To be fair Bassey was eventually excellent but he didn't get in because the manger spotted something in training it was simply due to injuries and he made the most of it.

14 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I think you're being generous.

And if he's not getting his way then he should be doing something more than saying he's content with the squad.

Maybe so but I can’t imagine he went in there without some idea of who he wanted to bring in. 
As for saying something, maybe he’s just content with the gig and doesn’t want to rock the boat. Could be totally wrong in this obviously. 

We sign a lot of players in the thought that after 1 year we can sell them for £15 million.That’s the driving force and it must be coming from the board.

Should be signing first team quality players better than we have and then a few squad future prospects not the other way around.

1 minute ago, The Archer said:

We sign a lot of players in the thought that after 1 year we can sell them for £15 million.That’s the driving force and it must be coming from the board.

Should be signing first team quality players better than we have and then a few squad future prospects not the other way around.

Exactly. The board are only interested in profit. Profit is fine when the full business functions but not reinvesting and selling assets is just thievery in relation to the fans hard-earned and spent money

A long awaited summer rebuild next summer will see us behind them further and it'll probably be 3 in a row by the time we get going, if that first phase goes according to plan. 

what an absolute shit show since 55. The time was then to freshen it up and we let the squad go stale and this is the result of that

That summer should have been used to sell or release or loan out some players in our team

Jack, Davis, Shagger, Sakala, Roofe, Helander, Ofoborh, Hagi

We sold the players that Gerrard and Beale brought in for a decent fee and replaced them with absolute shite that wont sell for a decent fee in my opinion.

Its very worrying how the team looks and how we are playing. 

This is from the board downwards now though. 

Ross Wilson needs to go as his recruitment has been fucking dreadful.

Giovanni and his team are on a fucking tight rope.

8 minutes ago, The Archer said:

But we don't even do that. Getting money for Aribo and Bassey was the exception not the rule. And even when we sell these players and Paterson and the money from getting to the EL final and the money for CL qualification we still don't bring in the quality we need.

We should have cashed in on 3-4 players when we won the league and their reputations and potential fees were at an all time high. Now we have two of our arguably biggest assets able to sign pre contracts in three months and leave for fuck all.

It's a fucking shambles and heads should have rolled well before now.

5 minutes ago, King Jela said:

A long awaited summer rebuild next summer will see us behind them further and it'll probably be 3 in a row by the time we get going, if that first phase goes according to plan. 

what an absolute shit show since 55. The time was then to freshen it up and we let the squad go stale and this is the result of that

Need to replace Wilson with an experienced DOF and one that has a decent background of finding them also.

This summer was the year to rebuild and build upon what we already had but we spent on questionable players.

Colak and Lawrence look like very good signings but the other guys i am not to sure.

Might sound like a fucking bed wetter here but i really worry for us domestically.

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

But we don't even do that. Getting money for Aribo and Bassey was the exception not the rule. And even when we sell these players and Paterson and the money from getting to the EL final and the money for CL qualification we still don't bring in the quality we need.

We should have cashed in on 3-4 players when we won the league and their reputations and potential fees were at an all time high. Now we have two of our arguably biggest assets able to sign pre contracts in three months and leave for fuck all.

It's a fucking shambles and heads should have rolled well before now.

I agree but the way i am feeling the two of them can go.

I am so fucking done with Kent and the attitude of Morelos does my titts in.

If his attitude and dedication was the way it should be for a Rangers player then he would be fit and playing in these games today only himself to blame.

3 hours ago, gmcf said:

I think a lot of it is down to systems .

Pretty sure if some of their players had signed for us , they too would have been passing the ball sideways or backwards at a slow tempo . 

Yep.

Hate the cunt with a passion but have to admit Postecoglu has taken a team in turmoil, imposed his system,   identified some really good attacking players and coached his squad to such a degree they will probably win this seasons SPFL at a canter.

Meanwhile our players (not necessarily instructed to do so by the manager IMO) seem to think passing the ball between two centre backs 8 or 9 times will somehow open up gaps in the opposition. 

We were pedestrian for most of the game.
Worryinlgy, they seem to have developed fitness levels to suit their system and were running off at all angles at pace the entire game and are not running out of steam after 60/70 mins like they did last season.

11 minutes ago, Albeartzzz said:

Exactly. The board are only interested in profit. Profit is fine when the full business functions but not reinvesting and selling assets is just thievery in relation to the fans hard-earned and spent money

Probably a good thing we never spent anymore money this summer and hopefully we do not buy also in January and keep all the money for paying off all the fucking shite in our team and using the rest on new players. If Giovanni has any sense he would be sending recruitment teams out to European lower leagues and going to Asia and Africa and having a right good look over the next year for next summer. Prepare for next summer and keep ahead of the game. 

Recruitment has been shite for a number of years now. But I think the scouting department is definitely an area that’s needing investment & a major overhaul if we’re to become a top level club. It’s clear we are majorly behind other teams & leagues at the minute in that sense. Given the millions we’ve pissed up a wall by the looks of it.