Not the same since Gerrard

Whilst it's clearly stating the obvious, even a player acknowledging it shows how bad it was. As much as Borna himself was a problem and we can go down that route of the players part in it all, there's so much more going on from the top down

He and others showed what they were capable of but then hadn't the mentality and commitment to maintain it. Always looking for an excuse or someone else to take responsibility. A shitebag of a player, apparently labelled soft by his ex manager, tryng and failing to justify his being shite for years.

22 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

What was missing Borna was you putting a shift in, hard tackles and less of the shitting your pants. Oh and the faux rage 

so shuttit and get on with back passing the fuck out of football in Turkey 

Should maybe tweet this to him mate don’t think he’ll see it here 

:troll:

I agree that Gerrard was a figurehead for the club, but Gerrards stubbornness was also a part of our downfall. 

He should’ve seen we needed a refresh in the summer of 2021, too many players had 55 as their Everest and the hunger to go again after then wasn’t there (he’s even admitted this in an interview when he was at Villa, although it was aimed more so at the board). 

But Borna has always been a player who’s had patchy form and when he’s bad, he’s a 2 out of 10 rather than a 5/6. He’s been very lucky to be the mainstay left back at a club like ours for 5-6 seasons, when he’s had about 6-9 months of good form in that time. 

Recruitment has been the clubs biggest failure post 55, but it also doesn’t give players like Borna a free pass. He’s gone hiding almost every season post-Xmas and has been woeful in OF games, so he can’t shift the blame. 

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

We were absolutely shite under Gerrard just before he left and the 55 season aside we were serial bottlers under him constantly 

Even in the 55 season we should have won a treble with ease but we bottled the 2 cups. 

We haven’t been a force since Walter

Fuck Borna too btw. His performances at parkhead will live in my nightmares until the day I die 

Aye, literally read the title and thought not the same since Walter. 

Of course he should take more ownership for his own contribution, but putting that aside, this is a hugely worrying thing to hear from an ex-player. We can all see that standards throughout the club have dropped off. Gerrard brought a level of professionalism, focus, and steel that've been sorely lacking since he left. It's not just the playing squad either - it seems to permeate everything. 

I dont think it has . I thought we improved season upon season under Gerrard and there was a confidence that ran through the club that I've not felt since he left.

I thought we'd got it back for a while under PC last season but the collapse at the end has put us back to square one . 

By saying "something is missing," Borna seems reluctant to go into specifics. IMO, he is referring to the board - not funding Gerrard, the hiring of Beale, etc...

The drop-off in his own play was significant.

It's always interesting to hear ex-players. Get them in the right situation and they will spill the beans.

2 hours ago, bluenoz said:

By saying "something is missing," Borna seems reluctant to go into specifics. IMO, he is referring to the board - not funding Gerrard, the hiring of Beale, etc...

The drop-off in his own play was significant.

It's always interesting to hear ex-players. Get them in the right situation and they will spill the beans.

Are you suggesting he stopped playing because the board weren’t backing the manager?

Gerrard used us as a stepping stone and it backfired on him and killed his potential legacy at the club. Stopping 10 in a row means nothing when we are in the state we are now as the other mob are still racking up the league flags with minimal effort

Borna was nearly kicked out by Gerrard after 6 months if I recall. As I said in the OP, there was so many things wrong but the part the players could control they didn't. He happily got called a shitebag on national TV and let that become his persona. Should have been sold when we all thought he was leaving in 2021

53 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Are you suggesting he stopped playing because the board weren’t backing the manager?

Nah, I'm not suggesting anything mate. But it sounds like he wanted to say a lot and then refrained.

9 hours ago, Loyal72 said:

We had higher standards under Gerrard.

Anyone arguing with that is blind or on glue.

He might have had higher standards but in the grand scheme of things he was still being schooled by the likes of mccinnes and Clarke for two of his 3 seasons here

The fact we are still trying to shift some of gerrards era to do a rebuild says it all, overall his era was a complete under achievement and the expensive squad he built was the catalyst for the state we are in the now