Is Butland’s form becoming a problem?

Butland is poor getting down low to his left. He's also got a moment of madness / howler in him.

If we were scoring loads of goals weekly it wouldn't matter ss much but right now he needs to sort his own shit out as much as the next man.

Edit: the defence being dugshite would make it difficult for any keeper.

5 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Probably low(er) down the list of massive issues we have as a club, and probably as a team - but he’s been on a horrible run of form recently.

Loads of ‘should do better’ ones, along with a couple of howlers, and his distribution / command of his box seems to have disappeared too.

I understand no one is likely to be on the level of guys I grew up watching (Goram, Klos, McGregor etc) but his form is absolutely nose diving. 

Should have kept out the first goal on Tues and nearly gifted them another with horrible distribution. 

Should have kept both out on Tuesday.

I gather he was shaky in the Motherwell defeat, I saw he was shaky in the Ross County Defeat, must have been able to do better with some of the goals in the games v the scum & been dodgy in pre-season.

Loses a good number of goals to shots from outside the box, suggesting either positional or concentration issues.

Lacks the aggression & decisiveness of a McGregor in the one on ones.

He’s no match winner, unlike some of his illustrious predecessors.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Butland is poor getting down low to his left. He's also got a moment of madness / howler in him.

If we were scoring loads of goals weekly it wouldn't matter ss much but right now he needs to sort his own shit out as much as the next man.

Edit: the defence being dugshite would make it difficult for any keeper.

I always remember David Seaman once saying always put the ball to the keepers left because his brains the other side.

It's not becoming a problem as he's never been a top class goalkeeper. If he was his career wouldn't have went the way it has and we wouldn't have been able to sign him last season as the EPL teams would have been all over him.

He's a good goalkeeper and no more but the least of the teams problems at the moment. 

10 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

It's not becoming a problem as he's never been a top class goalkeeper. If he was his career wouldn't have went the way it has and we wouldn't have been able to sign him last season as the EPL teams would have been all over him.

He's a good goalkeeper and no more but the least of the teams problems at the moment. 

Well said mate.

And also suggests we’d struggle for potential buyers if we did put the for sale sign up, unless someone has an injury crisis.

When we have a midfield and defence that let opponents cross and shoot at will it's always going to be a problem that said I think he was poor tailend of last season and it's carried on into this one oh and his distribution especially the other night is poor verging on chronic.

He’s not in the best of form, and possibly isn’t as good as we thought he was, but he’s still arguably the best keeper in the league. And it’s probably the only position where we can genuinely think that we might have the best in the league.

100% should be sold if we attract an offer of £10m and tbh even before champions league ££’s was taken from us… sell when stock is high, his stock was high at the end of last season, we should be selling, if offers are received of course.

4 hours ago, demise said:

When all you have in front of you is fuckin dross to defend your goal, its normal that you start making mistakes. He has been very solid for the most part of last season so im not bothered about his form. 

This is the worry. He is being dragged down to the level of the dross he has to play alongside.

4 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

He has always been mentally fragile at his previous clubs and the way he got built up last season before being knocked down by not making the England squad even for a friendly dented his confidence IMO

His form went after the England squad was announced, personally I think it was silly to even put him in the mix for it, he's been good for us but was never going to the Euro's fs, just setting the guy up for a fall.

He's wide open in Clement's setup and struggles with shots low down into the corner, something that's becoming more apparent as time goes on & as teams realize it they'll act on it.

30 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

He has always been mentally fragile at his previous clubs and the way he got built up last season before being knocked down by not making the England squad even for a friendly dented his confidence IMO

I think you are spot on. The media here had him as almost a cert for the England squad and that Southgate was at the old firm game just to have a final look. Unfortunately his failure to even make an attempt o save the ricochet down to his left probably ended his chance for that place and as you said he never looked at ll solid after that.

Jury out for me.

Apart from saves when it doesn't really matter against the bum bashers. He has been dug shit for the big saves at important times against them.

Maybe harsh as used to 4 goalies spread over nearly 40 years who could actually shut them out and if not win game against filth, would give us a fighting chance more often or not.

my order of excellence is still, rest have been dug shit.

The Goalie

Greegs

Woods

Klos

Dibble - special mention

Watterous - special mention