***Manager/DOF rumours thread***

Andy.little

Just now, The Dude said:

McInnes is a dud.

Again I'm not saying he's an amazing manager. I'm getting a bit misunderstood here. I think he'd be the best of a really bad, underwhelming bunch.

I'm at a loss how anyone can say McInnes is a dud or shite but get excited about Pedro. Baffled. 

1 minute ago, jackrfc95 said:

As I said I have no idea whether he will or not but given what I do know about Mcinnes I don't think he will. 

Thats basically the crux of it, this guy is an unknown hence he's getting more support than others. 

Agreed. Which isn't rational thinking at all in my eyes. 

12 minutes ago, Gillete said:

I particularly like how he plays a fast attacking game , the opposite of that possession based game we have watched the last 2 seasons. 

Finally we might start seeing attacking football 

Just hope he knows that our defence is a bombscare that needs fixing as well. 

Would be happy to see Mubarak come with him 

Pedro is getting the support because we all know it’s going to be him. This happens and the manager gets hyped up to be someone who is going to stop the rot and be a great manager for us. It’s positive and wishful thinking but again it doesn’t change the fact his past achievements and record so far is pretty underwhelming when we require something major.

Had he been mentioned at the start when folk like FDB were being mentioned he would have been scoffed at, that’s pretty obvious I’d have thought.

It’s a huge punt, it can be argued any manager would be but for me it’s a bigger punt than the rest. Time will tell of course and those who have serious doubt about him will love to be proven wrong on this one.

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Again I'm not saying he's an amazing manager. I'm getting a bit misunderstood here. I think he'd be the best of a really bad, underwhelming bunch.

I'm at a loss how anyone can say McInnes is a dud or shite but get excited about Pedro. Baffled. 

By speaking to folk who follow Mexican football, looking at both of their achievements and weighing them up.

McInnes has turned Aberdeen from a team who win a trophy once a decade to one who win a trophy once a decade. 

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Everybody keeps going on about how McInnes doesn't deserve the job with us because he didn't manage to lay a glove on celtic while we were out the top flight but I think that's a bit of an unfair criticism to aim at him because Aberdeen are a far smaller club than celtic with nowhere near the resources that they have regardless of how poor they might have been under Delia.

Bit that bothers me about him is they had several moments where they had the chance to make a real contest of it (get within a point type of situations) and every time blew it - games they should have won, granted I don't recall the specifics but it happened, several times.  Fairly or unfairly I look towards the manager, perhaps not the 1st time but thereafter.  

I'm not about to have another MW meltdown but somehow I don't see this guy being able to do any better with what MW had to spend. So let's hope the board are ready to dig deep. :lol: 

That's not a reflection on Pedro though, that's just a reflection on how little money we're giving managers and expecting them to catch up with Celtic 

The vast majority of us Rangers fans know nothing of Pedro Caixinha, yet talk as if they have first hand knowledge of him. So I ask:

why him? why is his name in the frame out of hundreds of coaches world wide. Someone has seen something, told something or what, to have his name put forward....

it's interesting times I think, very interesting and I can't help but get a bit of a semi for this - only because it's so bonkers it might actually be a fucking stroke of genius...

but hey what the fuck do I know -  only that my glass is half full

12 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

As I said I have no idea whether he will or not but given what I do know about Mcinnes I don't think he will. 

Thats basically the crux of it, this guy is an unknown hence he's getting more support than others. 

So he's getting more support because he's an unknown?  How does that make sense?

Are folk saying "Mcinnes is a prick and he and the others aren't good enough,  so I'm voting for the guy I've never heard of"?

I'm not particularly happy with any of the names mentioned, and I don't see the point in hoping for a manager I've never heard of just because the others are so bad that I don't want them.

You don't have to pretend that Pedro is something he's not just because the other options are pish.

Personally if I had to chose between the names mentioned I'd chose Caixinhna, but to be honest if that's our lot I'd rather keep Murty and keep looking.

I don't think any of them are capable of achieving what they need to,  so there's no point in me saying who's better than who.

I'll not be unhappy if Caixinhna is appointed, but I'm not going to get all excited like we've signed some hero that will save us either. Days where I'm cheering a managers name just because of his reputation and before he's even managed his first game are long gone, he'll have to earn it whoever he is

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

By speaking to folk who follow Mexican football, looking at both of their achievements and weighing them up.

McInnes has turned Aberdeen from a team who win a trophy once a decade to one who win a trophy once a decade. 

Yeah because the Mexican leagues like Scotland and he'll slot right in ... even Delia was a top manager in Scandinavia 

7 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Just hope he knows that our defence is a bombscare that needs fixing as well. 

Would be happy to see Mubarak come with him 

Was that not the former Egyptian prime minister?,some appointment that would be!

Just now, Gaz52 said:

I'm not about to have another MW meltdown but somehow I don't see this guy being able to do any better with what MW had to spend. So let's hope the board are ready to dig deep. :lol: 

That's not a reflection on Pedro though, that's just a reflection on how little money we're giving managers and expecting them to catch up with Celtic 

I dunno Gaz. There was clearly much wrong with our tactics/formation  and tbh the mind set that was being installed (perhaps losing wasn't that big a deal?).  Comments from the likes of Waghorn would suggest to me the squad had lost faith in MW too, or weren't happy. 

We might see a better version of a few of the current squad if they are lead in the right manner. Some I would probably agree are just shite. 

This Pedro character seems to be the sort that hates losing - should be a prerequisite for our manager. (Albeit he seems to lose the head when he does)

3 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

If he's any good with man management and able to adjust his teams to suit he'll be ahead of MW right away, budget shouldn't come into as MW should have done more with the budget he had.

7 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

The vast majority of us Rangers fans know nothing of Pedro Caixinha, yet talk as if they have first hand knowledge of him. So I ask:

why him? why is his name in the frame out of hundreds of coaches world wide. Someone has seen something, told something or what, to have his name put forward....

it's interesting times I think, very interesting and I can't help but get a bit of a semi for this - only because it's so bonkers it might actually be a fucking stroke of genius...

but hey what the fuck do I know -  only that my glass is half full

Interesting article here about him...

Many Rangers fans will be unfamiliar with potential new manager Pedro Caixinha so we had a chat with Mexican Football expert and Liga MX ESPN Correspondent Tom Marshall to get the lowdown on the 46-year-old. Tom covered Pedro during his successful 2 season in Mexico as manager of Santos Laguna.

What kind of manager is Pedro Caixinha, what are his philosophies?

Studious, meticulous in preparation, hands on in training and ambitious. I’d also say he is pragmatic when it comes to style. He is results-focused. Caixinha’s Santos Laguna side tended to be less concerned with possession – like most teams are in Mexico – and more focused on hitting the opposition in transitions with pace, although I wouldn’t like to say he’d necessarily play that way with Rangers. Caixinha has learned from Carlos Queiroz and Jose Mourinho and follows the tactical periodization methodology of Victor Frade. The style Caixinha would implement will likely depend on the players at his disposal. He’ll be very aware of what the club means after studying in Scotland. When he came to Mexico he read Octavio Paz’s “Labyrinth of Solitude” to help him better understand Mexican culture. Caixinha will know what he is getting himself into if he gets the Rangers job.

What are his main strengths/weaknesses?

Caixinha is shrewd tactically, prepares his teams very well and is clearly obsessed with achieving big things. He has studied English, picked up Spanish very quickly in Mexico and has sacrificed a lot in his personal life to make it as a manager, despite not being a big-name player. However, he didn’t always have a great relationship at times with Santos fans, other managers in Mexico and some of the press. Basically, Caixinha isn’t afraid to speak his mind and some in Mexico didn’t take kindly to him rocking the boat. He was sent off a couple of times for losing it on the bench after refereeing decisions.

Could you summarise his achievements in Mexico?

Santos (Laguna) reached the semifinal in three of the five tournaments he was here and they were crowned champions once. That was despite experienced players like Oribe Peralta, Oswaldo Sanchez and Juan Pablo Rodriguez, as well as Colombian Darwin Quintero, all leaving the club in that period. Aside from that, his methodology and level of preparation were very new in Mexico. For example, he never repeated a training session in almost three years at the club. It was almost like Arsene Wenger coming to England and gradually changing the culture, although obviously Caixinha wasn’t in Mexico long enough to have the same impact.

Whats his record like in the transfer market?

Very good. Santos sold big-name players and brought in Argentines like Agustin Marchesin, Carlos Izquierdoz and Diego “Pulpo” Gonzalez and went on to become champion. He used his connections in Portugal to sign the relatively unknown Cape Verde international Djaniny, who was a key player in the title run.

What type of football does he like to play?

Honestly, I wouldn’t like to say how his Rangers team will play. As I understand Caixinha’s philosophy, it will largely depend on the players at his disposal. His Santos team had a physically strong core and were rapid on the wings, picking teams off on the counter – Santos won the Clausura 2015 final 1st leg 5-0 – but only had 38 percent possession. Make no mistake though, he’ll have a firm idea of what he wants to implement and won’t be wishy-washy about it.

How does he handle the media?

Caixinha comes to press conferences prepared and often with a message he wants to get across. In Mexico, he once brought a list of examples of how refereeing decisions had benefited Club America and read them out one by one. I miss having him in Mexico because he got debates going and was a straight-talker. He went against the grain and is clearly intelligent. Rangers fans will enjoy his passion.

Comparisons have been made with Mourinho, in what way are they similar?

Pragmatist, work ethic, coaching methodology, ambition and high level of confidence in own abilities.

How far can he go in the game?

If he can tame his fiery temper a touch and not get into as much trouble with the authorities, Caixinha has the background to do very well. There is no doubt he’ll see reeling in Celtic as the central challenge at Rangers. From there, he’ll be keen to make a mark in European competition. With the way Portuguese managers are so in vogue at the moment, it’d be no surprise to see him at Porto, Sporting or Benfica, in the Premier League or in La Liga five years from now. What he lacks at the moment is a proven track record in Europe.

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Yeah because the Mexican leagues like Scotland and he'll slot right in ... even Delia was a top manager in Scandinavia 

No it's arguably a far higher standard. Caixinha won more with Santos Laguna in 3 year than McInnes has in his entire career as a manager 

5 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

The vast majority of us Rangers fans know nothing of Pedro Caixinha, yet talk as if they have first hand knowledge about him 

Yup including the ones who are all of a sudden excited at the thought ...

it works both ways 

I think it bubbles down to if you've faith in the board to get a gamble right or not (I don't) and please don't say every appointment is a gamble that's just an attempt to shut down debate. 

We are in no position to take left field gambles with our most important appointment ever 

and there's also the big elephant in the room regarding this ill fated DOF nonsense - I thought a DOF picked the manager? Have we made a rip roaring cunt of the set up before we make the appointment/s? I've seen a couple of people ask this and be shot down 

5 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Pedro is getting the support because we all know it’s going to be him. This happens and the manager gets hyped up to be someone who is going to stop the rot and be a great manager for us. It’s positive and wishful thinking but again it doesn’t change the fact his past achievements and record so far is pretty underwhelming when we require something major.

Had he been mentioned at the start when folk like FDB were being mentioned he would have been scoffed at, that’s pretty obvious I’d have thought.

It’s a huge punt, it can be argued any manager would be but for me it’s a bigger punt than the rest. Time will tell of course and those who have serious doubt about him will love to be proven wrong on this one.

Sadly, some will hope he fails so they can be proven right...

All we know about him is the bits and pieces that are coming out via various articles, and it all sounds positive stuff.  With Warburton, there was lots of this as well, but there was an undercurrent of "beware" that was bubbling and also not without foundation.  

What I don't understand though is the "underwhelmed", "McInnes would be better" etc. stuff and people hinting that they'd prefer others because we don't know enough about him.  We know enough about most of the names apparently in the frame (Rowett, McLeish, McInnes) to have a sound judgement on them, so I'll stick my neck out and say Caixinha is rated higher in the profession than those guys...the testimonials I've read from peers and pundits suggests this to be the case.  It's all I've got to go on, and I'm on board...particularly when the alternative offerings are not so palatable.

Just now, The Dude said:

No it's arguably a far higher standard. Caixinha won more with Santos Laguna in 3 year than McInnes has in his entire career as a manager 

Including a title where he finished 7/8th ... And what's he done in his other managerial spells? I read he was leading teams to worse spells than they're previous years standings 

stats can be used any way you like I read his CV and wasn't taken in overall but some can read it and take what they like from it to justify their outlook - shit happens - again it just bubbles down to what faith you've got 

8 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I'd say the Mexican league is of a much higher standard than Scottish and Norwegian football. I can only base this on the players produced as I obviously don't follow each league in detail, but going by players and reputation - it's a higher standard. 

Just now, coopsleftboot said:

All we know about him is the bits and pieces that are coming out via various articles, and it all sounds positive stuff.  With Warburton, there was lots of this as well, but there was an undercurrent of "beware" that was bubbling and also not without foundation.  

What I don't understand though is the "underwhelmed", "McInnes would be better" etc. stuff and people hinting that they'd prefer others because we don't know enough about him.  We know enough about most of the names apparently in the frame (Rowett, McLeish, McInnes) to have a sound judgement on them, so I'll stick my neck out and say Caixinha is rated higher in the profession than those guys...the testimonials I've read from peers and pundits suggests this to be the case.  It's all I've got to go on, and I'm on board...particularly when the alternative offerings are not so palatable.

First lines bullshit - I said a few times past few days I hope he proves me wrong and I'll say on here I was wrong, hold my hands up and look stupid. I'm dying for that to happen 

Just now, coopsleftboot said:

Not if they are Rangers fans.

No Rangers fan wants our manager to fail, that's just daft.

28 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

McInnes or Rowatt would be must better options IMO and that's saying something. 

I like Rowatt but don't know if he'd be able to steer an average Mexican team to the title, 2 cups and the CONCACAF Champions League final. He ended up getting offered the Mexico job, thats how well he done over there in a higher standard league. McInnes certainly wouldn't anyway.