Rangers Pools

Lloyd

Just now, Rfc52 said:

I don't think we should mate but if i was only paying 6 quid a month or so i wouldn't miss it and if it helps the club in anyway then thats a bonus. 

That’s fine mate' would it also affect the amount we give to lotto ?  I’d rather that as it goes to youth development 

Just now, kplfishtank said:

That’s fine mate' would it also affect the amount we give to lotto ?  I’d rather that as it goes to youth development 

see i thought it was maybe something that went throughout the club rather than just stadium upkeep?

Just now, jcb said:

Used to be an agent back in the day. If i remember correctly the Rangers Pools were about 10 times the size of the Manchester United pools. We even had a large number of celtic fans taking part.

You'd have even more of they cunts in it now :lol:

We did really pay for the upkeep of the stadium in the past through the pools, the parent company of the pools ,Rangers FC Development Fund Ltd ran the pools and it paid for the upgrade to the stadium , but reading an article about the pools and its demise , it came about because the government repealed  the 1971 Pools Competitions Act and that limited our ability to offer unlimited prize money sometimes as much as £30,000  , where other clubs running their pools only offered £2000, it was the biggest club run pools in Britain and only came second to the big national pools companies, we would then have to only offer the same as other clubs, which would have seen a big chunk of money that helped the upkeep of the stadium being lost.

20 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

see i thought it was maybe something that went throughout the club rather than just stadium upkeep?

Both being kept separate I think, Rangers Lotto will go to the youths this goes to Stadium redevelopment.

2 hours ago, BlueboyG said:

Yeh it was massive in its day, think my dad had around 100 or more workmates who were in it and he was the agent, with redundancies etc it started going tits up.

Used to be a gang of us as young kids who would help the auld guy who was the agent, he would follow us up the street as we ran to all the doors. 

I remember winning £800 on the Rangers pools ,2 weeks before going to Glastonbury .Was a lot of money in 1990 ,especially when I was still on apprentices wages . Took me a while to recover from that weekend .

2 hours ago, Trooblue said:

Wasn't the old one a version of the football pools?  You select eleven games you reckon will be draws from the entire fixture list on a given day, and if you get 8 or more from eleven right as score draws, you win the pools.  Depending on how many others win, you get the whole prize to yourself or a share of the prize. Three points for each score draw, one point for a no-score draw, top score wins. Prize money depends on how many play each week. 

That sounds more like what I remember :cheers:

1 hour ago, kplfishtank said:

You’ve more money than anycunt so get yer hand in yer wallet and do both.

3 hours ago, kplfishtank said:

Quick one, why should the fans pay for the upkeep of the ground?

Your not really. Your gambling, with profits going to house maintainance. You don’t put your coupon on then ask William hill why your paying for his renovation when the shop gets done up.

The 'where the money goes' thing is a bit of a red herring anyway. Won't change how much is spent on youth or the ground, as other streams that would have gone there will be spent elsewhere. It's just cash going to the club at the end of the day, which is never bad. And if it can be anything like as successful as it used to be then that's a lot of cash.

Hugh Adam was the driving force back then and deserves a huge amount of credit for it. It paid for our rebuild of the stadium and the amount of money it provided was way above anybody else. Financially it put us  out  way ahead of anyone else at the time. If I remember correctly Hugh Adam was on the board of Rangers but resigned as he felt the way SDM was running the club was untenable. He got a lot of stick at the time but has been proved right ,a man of principal.

This should be pushed hard far and wide imo,, how many fans do we have worldwide that contribute nothing to the club but would be happy to pay a £6 monthly direct debit to something that will help the clubs finances and also might win you a few quid, I think this could be a winner even outside our fanbase.