Terry butcher

5 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

He's hardly put the boot in and his assessment imo is fairly accurate on every point.

Butcher has been a knob previously and put the boot in, no doubt.  But here he's giving an honest assessment of a very difficult situation for SG. I'm happier with that than making it all seem rosy with delusions about how great it'll be and raising expectations of a simple turnaround in fortunes.

If wee Neil McCann for instance had made the same remarks imo most folk would likely say they liked him for that fairness and honesty. As they do when he is a commentator. So tbh I reckon it's about the fact Butcher has said it that upsets the OP which is fair enough as long as you accept it's a personal thing, not what's been said.

You clearly didn’t read my point, anybody who has given an opinion of Gerrard as Rangers manager outwith Scotland is nothing but positive, some of the people like Zidane have never played with Gerrard so it’s not a case of biging up his pal, but everybody in Scotland including a former Rangers captain have to put a negative spin on it 

instead of saying, if Gerrard is successful at Rangers he’ll be the next Liverpool manager, no Terry has to say things like, if it dosent work he might never get a chance to manage Liverpool...no shit Terry if he went to mk dons or anywhere for that matter an it didn’t work, he’d  miss out on being Liverpool manager too, you don’t get big jobs if you a fucking idiot of a manager like a Terry Butcher 

just for the record I loved butcher as a player, what I’d give for a player like him nowadays but as a man he’s a fucking mutant!

It’s all about opinions some people will think they are light years ahead of us, personally I think 5 quality players costing about 12-15m plus good loans would see us challenge them. If you listen to butcher there’s no point nothing will bring us closer we are too far away, might as well just chuck it then eh

I agree with butcher here, although he is a wanker. Gerrards end game is undoubtedly the Liverpool managers job and a disastrous spell with us would harm his chances. When butcher is licking suttons arse on bt or claiming he's a "neutral" when commentating on old firm games or saying sorry for singing songs 30+ years ago, that's when his bitter side comes out not in articles like this.

13 hours ago, Tomatasauce said:

What did Rangers do to this pathetic prick? Other than at worst, overlook him for the managers job when he clearly wasn’t good enough 

everybody outside Scotland has nothing but good things to say about the Gerrard appointment, I even posted the Zidane article that was all positive from his own experiences, yet butcher comes away with comments like this:

Ex-Ipswich and England star Butcher said: “It’s sink or swim in many aspects. Going to 
Rangers as a player is difficult. Going to Rangers as a manager is extremely difficult.

It’s a very brave decision. I think Chris Sutton said that if he doesn’t do well, he might not get a shot at Liverpool, and that’s what he really wants.

If they were equal, it would still be a massive job. If they brought in Stevie, then it might edge Rangers ahead. But they are not equal. They are a long way apart. If celtic move further ahead, if they try to buy like they are planning this summer, then it will be even harder because they are already a long way ahead of Rangers.

well Terry...maybe the guy is looking forward to the challenge! He could probably have waited for a job like Rodgers has, an have people massaging his ego, but maybe he wants to earn people’s respect an take on a real challenge. if he’s successful he will have proved he’s a proper manager not an ex pro like you playing at being a manager. Ever think of that!

i don’t expect our ex players to be biased towards us but i expect that if they have nothing good to say just say nuffin keep the relationship you have with the fans who adored you, prick!

I really don't see a problem here. What exactly has he said that has made you go start a thread online about? Everything I've read there is spot on. 

He's said some shite in the past, but was also the manager that made 2 helicopter Sundays possible (Motherwell and Inverness, the two single least likely league wins in my life. I had accepted the scum wouldn't throw it away on both occasions). So he's done us quite well as a manager too, but again, he's said a load of shite, but mostly he was only defending his team. Which was one of his greatest qualities when he played for us. 

13 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I agree Butcher's a prick and should be removed from the hall of fame (In fact if it were upto me I'd narrow it right down for a lot of their actions, comments, failure to defend us when we needed them) but I don't take too much issue with what he's said there. Most of it I agree with - although I don't know how he knows how celtic are planning to buy this summer? I think I've seen them linked with 3 players, one of which has been on loan with them anyway and one of the other ones is McGinn. Trembling here.

I don't doubt for one minute he'd love to see Gerrard fail either. 

I've seen them linked with 3 players too, one was Ayew from Swansea, who would run riot up here, another was a £15m centre back, can't mind the other. Even If they get McGinn, they're improving their team. I don't think there's a better attacking centre midfielder in Scotland at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Tomatasauce said:

You clearly didn’t read my point, anybody who has given an opinion of Gerrard as Rangers manager outwith Scotland is nothing but positive, some of the people like Zidane have never played with Gerrard so it’s not a case of biging up his pal, but everybody in Scotland including a former Rangers captain have to put a negative spin on it 

instead of saying, if Gerrard is successful at Rangers he’ll be the next Liverpool manager, no Terry has to say things like, if it dosent work he might never get a chance to manage Liverpool...no shit Terry if he went to mk dons or anywhere for that matter an it didn’t work, he’d  miss out on being Liverpool manager too, you don’t get big jobs if you a fucking idiot of a manager like a Terry Butcher 

just for the record I loved butcher as a player, what I’d give for a player like him nowadays but as a man he’s a fucking mutant!

It’s all about opinions some people will think they are light years ahead of us, personally I think 5 quality players costing about 12-15m plus good loans would see us challenge them. If you listen to butcher there’s no point nothing will bring us closer we are too far away, might as well just chuck it then eh

I read your point. I thought it on the whole was personal and not about the message. As is this one.

There are those outwith scotland who are guarded or less positive ie mark lawrenson. He was right too in his cautious article imo.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16241741.Rangers_boss_Steven_Gerrard_will_be_entering_the___39_most_hostile_place_around__39___says_Mark_Lawrenson/&ved=2ahUKEwix-L_Dyq3bAhXHAMAKHW78CIYQFjABegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2-e8jhPst4E3cblTE8WpgC

Folk outside Scotland likely know more about SG than the game here. So they're positive. Folk here know plenty about the scum domination and consecutive trebles and are probably right to be less positive about it all.

You don't like Butcher now, I get it. You feel he should shut the fuck up or say nothing unless positive I get it. You refuse to see anything he says as constructive and fairly accurate as you're blinded by your dislike for him. I get that too.

Your last para on particular is nonsense. His quotes actually said SG could sway things in our favour all things being equal. A fucking positive! But he counters that with highlighting the gap that's there and whether it can be bridged which most of us are too.

"If they were equal it would still be a massive job. If they brought in Stevie then it might edge Rangers ahead. But they are not equal. They are a long way apart.  If celtic move further ahead, if they try to buy like they are planning this summer, then it will be even harder for them because they are already a long way ahead of Rangers."

Will we still be in a challenging position if they also spent 10 -15million? Or are they just going to sit and watch us spend whilst keeping their squad as is? If you're honest you'll say they're likelier to try to maintain the gap (by spending on quality), which funnily enough butcher was saying too....

15 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

I really don't see a problem here. What exactly has he said that has made you go start a thread online about? Everything I've read there is spot on. 

He's said some shite in the past, but was also the manager that made 2 helicopter Sundays possible (Motherwell and Inverness, the two single least likely league wins in my life. I had accepted the scum wouldn't throw it away on both occasions). So he's done us quite well as a manager too, but again, he's said a load of shite, but mostly he was only defending his team. Which was one of his greatest qualities when he played for us. 

Hates Butcher. Nutshell.

I read that article in full somewhere else and had to laugh when he referred to Rangers as 'my club'. He's the only non Scot i can think of that has stabbed us in the back, and I can only guess that he feels he was fucked over at some time or other. 

With legend status comes responsibility, and im afraid this prick is completely unworthy. 

5 hours ago, Gman36 said:

See if we get our act together and become a success again, I hope we tell all these spineless bastards to get to fuck. Just watch them all slithering back to us if we start winning the league and getting into Europe again. 

Like when he made 2 helicopter Sundays possible you mean? 

Wasn't alive when him and Ally, Goram etc were playing for us, all I have to go off most of them is that they don't give a fuck about the fans and have lined their own pockets over our best interests

No interest in any of them at all as I'm not blinded by their playing days 

1 hour ago, Billy1984 said:

I agree with butcher here, although he is a wanker. Gerrards end game is undoubtedly the Liverpool managers job and a disastrous spell with us would harm his chances. When butcher is licking suttons arse on bt or claiming he's a "neutral" when commentating on old firm games or saying sorry for singing songs 30+ years ago, that's when his bitter side comes out not in articles like this.

Sutton is the only pundit BT Sports employs for Scottish football.

The rest are just yes men for him 

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

McCoist is dreadful for it, 'I agree with that Chris' 'Yes, Chris, agreed.'

The only one I remember actually disagreeing and really arguing with Sutton was Michael Stewart, no cunt else up here seems to have been brave enough to challenge him on what he says.

17 hours ago, Tomatasauce said:

Ex-Ipswich and England star Butcher said: “It’s sink or swim in many aspects. Going to 
Rangers as a player is difficult. Going to Rangers as a manager is extremely difficult.

It’s a very brave decision. I think Chris Sutton said that if he doesn’t do well, he might not get a shot at Liverpool, and that’s what he really wants.

If they were equal, it would still be a massive job. If they brought in Stevie, then it might edge Rangers ahead. But they are not equal. They are a long way apart. If celtic move further ahead, if they try to buy like they are planning this summer, then it will be even harder because they are already a long way ahead of Rangers.

What has he said there that's so terrible?

He's spot on with the first paragraph.

Ok he references sutton in the second paragraph but again It's not an outlandish statement.

And he's not exactly wrong in the third paragraph is he? The taigs are still a long way ahead of us at the moment, hopefully Gerrard is the first step on the road to turning that around but let's not think It's going to be a stroll.

So maybe you don't like him or what he says, but he was a solid honest professional when he was here as a player and on that he deserves to be remembered as a Great Ranger.

10 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

The only one I remember actually disagreeing and really arguing with Sutton was Michael Stewart, no cunt else up here seems to have been brave enough to challenge him on what he says.

Aye, and even then he's an absolute whopper as well :lol: