Goal Difference

I have 99% convinced myself that the league is over for this year, but there is still that little chance that we can run them close.

I had assumed that they were 8 points and a big goal difference ahead of us in the league, requiring us to actually finish the league with 1 more point than them.

I was surprised to see that they only have a goal difference advantage of 6 on us, and having scored 2 more goals.

Given that we will pretty much have to beat them in both remaining old firm games, even 1 goal victories in both games will see a 4 point swing in goal difference, and a 2 goal swing in the goals for column.

This would mean that if we win both games (assuming we match results and scores in the other fixtures), the points difference would come down to 2 points, and the goal difference would come down to 2 and the goals scored would be even.

This would mean that if they draw one game, the points difference would be gone. If we won our equivalent game by 2 goals, we would be level with them on points, with a better goal difference by a single goal, with more goals scored.

2 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

An awful lot of ifs. 

They've an easier run in and a significant lead. And I’m sure the ‘randomly generated’ fixtures will also be kind. 

Can’t see us going there and beating them to be honest. Leagues over after last night. 

Fraid so. Even 6 points would have been a big ask but a draw last night may have unnerved them. 

We need to do everything to win the cup.

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

An awful lot of ifs. 

They've an easier run in and a significant lead. And I’m sure the ‘randomly generated’ fixtures will also be kind. 

Can’t see us going there and beating them to be honest. Leagues over after last night. 

In the interests of sporting integrity, celtic should be required to go to aberdeen, hibs and us after the split. We should be at home to all 3. 

A newly promoted team shouted loud enough about it last year and got their way. I’d fully expect if we’re within 3 or 4 come the split and it doesn’t work out like that Gerrard will have plenty to say and rightly so

11 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Thought the reaction to his thread was a bit crazy tbh.  It's unlikely but it could come down to goal difference.

I think we’ve let both Dundee and Hamilton off lightly in the second halves of each game and we could or should have scored a few more in both games. 

I refuse to give up on the league until it’s over but when you look at 5 daft points dropped v Killie and St Johnstone coupled with them getting 4 points through 2 injury time winners v 10 men you start to have doubts. 

1 minute ago, scotty1976 said:

I think we’ve let both Dundee and Hamilton off lightly in the second halves of each game and we could or should have scored a few more in both games. 

I refuse to give up on the league until it’s over but when you look at 5 daft points dropped v Killie and St Johnstone coupled with them getting 4 points through 2 injury time winners v 10 men you start to have doubts. 

I haven't given up hope, but feel it's very unlikely.

1 hour ago, gogzy said:

Thought the reaction to his thread was a bit crazy tbh.  It's unlikely but it could come down to goal difference.

No, it'll be points the scum win due to 4 mins injury time that wins them it. Whilst we have fans who prefer to shout paranoia at factors which are becoming more and more real by the week.

4 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I have 99% convinced myself that the league is over for this year, but there is still that little chance that we can run them close.

I had assumed that they were 8 points and a big goal difference ahead of us in the league, requiring us to actually finish the league with 1 more point than them.

I was surprised to see that they only have a goal difference advantage of 6 on us, and having scored 2 more goals.

Given that we will pretty much have to beat them in both remaining old firm games, even 1 goal victories in both games will see a 4 point swing in goal difference, and a 2 goal swing in the goals for column.

This would mean that if we win both games (assuming we match results and scores in the other fixtures), the points difference would come down to 2 points, and the goal difference would come down to 2 and the goals scored would be even.

This would mean that if they draw one game, the points difference would be gone. If we won our equivalent game by 2 goals, we would be level with them on points, with a better goal difference by a single goal, with more goals scored.

There's your first problem right there.

We've been so inconsistent this year, even after recent good run of form I still think we'll struggle to win all our games outwith the OF game

4 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Stop torturing yourself man 

5 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

In the interests of sporting integrity, celtic should be required to go to aberdeen, hibs and us after the split. We should be at home to all 3. 

A newly promoted team shouted loud enough about it last year and got their way. I’d fully expect if we’re within 3 or 4 come the split and it doesn’t work out like that Gerrard will have plenty to say and rightly so

If the league is won .We will probably get an extra home against one of the bigger sides and the scum will play these hard away fixtures 

If by some minor miracle we do turn this around .I expect exactly the opposite with us going to Pittodrie or Easter road again

20 minutes ago, Smile said:

The leagues has been over since the Kilmarnock game on the 23 we have a tough month of March ahead.

Unfortunately,I have to agree with this. I’d love to be more positive about things but the Kilmarnock defeat was a severe boot in the balls for us. I still think we’ve plenty to play for with the cup and to finish the season with as many wins as possible. Sad to say it but I feel the league is beyond us. 

We had a great chance to put serious pressure on them after the winter break but fucked up big time. They have just came through a difficult spell of matches with maximum points, they got lucky (and has beneficial ref decisions) in their last 3 away games and hibs at home. 

They've now got an easier run  and our becomes more difficult.

But if we can keep our form up and win every game till we go to Parkhead we'll then have a chance to get back into it. Big ask!?