What else do we need?

GOAT

1 minute ago, TMB said:

“Do I have to sell to bring in? I don’t think so. I’d be quite happy to go with what we’ve got if we can get another centre-back in.” - Steven Gerrard

It looks like the club are looking to bring one more CB in and we’re obviously still going after Kent.  

Our business won't be done..We will then see where the epl sides sit come.start of August when their window closes 

10 minutes ago, TMB said:

“Do I have to sell to bring in? I don’t think so. I’d be quite happy to go with what we’ve got if we can get another centre-back in.” - Steven Gerrard

It looks like the club are looking to bring one more CB in and we’re obviously still going after Kent.  

We certainly aren't out for much more. Possibly a striker,  defo a CB, Kent will be the last minute signing to make it seem like the big signing.

If we get him early enough i swear  I'm happy to rock and roll if the season starts tomorrow.

I can understand the need for another CB as we only have 3.  Brining in a left-sided option would be great.  

Beyond that I can’t see much happening unless Tavernier or Morelos are sold.  

I see people keep mentioning another striker but we play lone striker formations and at the moment we have Defoe and Morelos up there.  Stewart can act as cover.  I can’t see another coming in. 

11 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I want to see one youth player come back from Portugal who has made the 18.  After all, isn't that the whole reason for the youth development?

Would you class Hastie as a youth player?  He’s only 20 and was playing youth football up until last season.  I know there was talk about him going out on loan but I’m hoping he’ll do enough in Portugal to convince the manager he’s worth keeping here.  I honestly think this lad has real potential and could surprise a lot of fans.  

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

Would you class Hastie as a youth player?  He’s only 20 and was playing youth football up until last season.  I know there was talk about him going out on loan but I’m hoping he’ll do enough in Portugal to convince the manager he’s worth keeping here.  I honestly think this lad has real potential and could surprise a lot of fans.  

No, I meant someone from our academy. I'm a big fan of Kelly though he has no chance of breaking that midfield. Rudden has the best chance even though he is not in Portugal.  Mebude, maybe.

Have to say, if we had to go into the season tomorrow, I’d have the fear a bit.  Really hope I’m wrong but I can well see us sitting here in a few months with loads on RM going mental saying our recruitment wasn’t strong enough.  

We were already needing much better than we had to truly kick on but I just don’t see Jones, Hastie or Stewart as being of the necessary standard required.

And I don’t believe for a second Gerrard genuinely believes that these guys are the level of player he was hoping to add to the squad.  Hope we’re not done by a long shot and that the board give him a bit of cash.

9 minutes ago, BearInTheToon said:

Have to say, if we had to go into the season tomorrow, I’d have the fear a bit.  Really hope I’m wrong but I can well see us sitting here in a few months with loads on RM going mental saying our recruitment wasn’t strong enough.  

We were already needing much better than we had to truly kick on but I just don’t see Jones, Hastie or Stewart as being of the necessary standard required.

And I don’t believe for a second Gerrard genuinely believes that these guys are the level of player he was hoping to add to the squad.  Hope we’re not done by a long shot and that the board give him a bit of cash.

We’ve scored more goals than any other team in the league for the last two years.  Last season our defense showed great improvement but we still conceded 7 more than celtic.  If we could just tighten up our defense a bit more that could translate in to the extra 10 points we need to win the league.  If a very good CB comes in then we could have a title winning team.

GK:  Think we have it covered, although I wouldn't be against a bid for the sheep keeper.  Really like the look of him anytime he plays us.

CB: Possibly one more, maybe someone in his late 20, early 30's with a lot of experience

LB: Maybe one more, I think we have a few players for that position, but I think if a good deal comes along, we should look at it.

RB: Tav, Polster should be enough.  IF we sell tav, obviously we need a quality replacement.

MIdfield, I think we have it covered, maybe another attacking midfielder.

WIngers:  If we get Kent back, we should be fine, if not, we need another one in IMO.

Strikers: Entirely dependent on Morelos, if he goes I think we need to quality additions, if he stays, then another backup, possibly a younger guy with potential.

I guess it's all still hanging on if we get Kent back, and if we sell Tav or Morelos.

11 minutes ago, gogzy said:

GK:  Think we have it covered, although I wouldn't be against a bid for the sheep keeper.  Really like the look of him anytime he plays us.

CB: Possibly one more, maybe someone in his late 20, early 30's with a lot of experience

LB: Maybe one more, I think we have a few players for that position, but I think if a good deal comes along, we should look at it.

RB: Tav, Polster should be enough.  IF we sell tav, obviously we need a quality replacement.

MIdfield, I think we have it covered, maybe another attacking midfielder.

WIngers:  If we get Kent back, we should be fine, if not, we need another one in IMO.

Strikers: Entirely dependent on Morelos, if he goes I think we need to quality additions, if he stays, then another backup, possibly a younger guy with potential.

I guess it's all still hanging on if we get Kent back, and if we sell Tav or Morelos.

That literally could be our staff transfer meeting leak :lol:

I honestly agree with every single word, born a brown nose btw

10 hours ago, TMB said:

We’ve scored more goals than any other team in the league for the last two years.  Last season our defense showed great improvement but we still conceded 7 more than celtic.  If we could just tighten up our defense a bit more that could translate in to the extra 10 points we need to win the league.  If a very good CB comes in then we could have a title winning team.

Not disputing that about the goal tally but even though it's a great badge of honour, it means nothing if they're mainly being scored in a few hammerings and then we come unstuck and drop points against stuffier teams.  That was our achilles heel big time last year - breaking down well organised opponents and not having enough goals from midfield.   The points dropped against Aberdeen, Hibs, Killie etc weren't the cause of leaking lots of goals - it was down to not creating/taking enough chances.  We should be putting 2-3 past these teams on most occasions, and expecting to concede 1 or 2 sometimes along the way. 

Agree with you on the tightening up of CB but, for me, it's about having 3-4 players who can unlock defences and put the ball in the net - we needed a couple of proper upgrades on Candeias, Murphy, Grezda.  

I really do hope I'm wrong and I'm not writing them off, but I just don't see Jones, Stewart and Hastie as being any better or having the necessary quality/cutting edge to make the difference when the going gets tough.

Going by Gerrard’s comments in the record it seems if we keep Tav & Morelos here and assuming Aribo & Skrtel come in then it looks as thought our business is done maybe Kent later in the window how would everyone feel about that then ?  Sounds as though he hasn’t givien up on Barisic really hope he has a solid pre season there’s obviously talent there I’d be happy with our summer if this was the case we’ve added really good depth and good options for changing games etc.

8 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

That literally could be our staff transfer meeting leak :lol:

I honestly agree with every single word, born a brown nose btw

I don't, I think it's fucking bizarre he thinks we have LB options and getting another good striker is dependent on our only real striker leaving considering Defoe isn't ours. 

Then there's the fact he seems to rate Polster based on about 10 minutes of a substitute appearance and our entire service to attack seems to again only be coming from Kent

We didn't win the league last year but Gogzy is more or less telling us that the same squad along with the average players we have brought in recently is enough to do it. 

Barisic has talent but my worry is he isn’t clicking with the rest of the team. So not sure if we should have another LB in place incase it doesn’t work out or see where we are in Jan window?

Was flying out on Sat same time as the team and everyone was going about in groups except Barisic who was wandering about himself.

Hopefully just reading into it too much and he’s fine.