First choice CB pairing?

JimmyCR1

Going purely on this preseason Goldson is bottom of the pecking order for me. Helander obviously hasn't had the same game time so it's perhaps more difficult to judge him but he looked good today. 

Edmundson has been the standout of the 4 imo and although I think Katic is the least talented of the group there's no denying he's our far most potent threat in the opposition box. 

Great situation to be in in terms of depth of quality but if there's one partnership in the team I'd like to play consistently it's the cb pairing. Big decisions ahead for the manager. 

Think it will be Goldson & Helander. But the attitude from both Katic and Edmunson is fantastic. It's a big decision to make as it's one position you don't want to be chopping and changing week by week. My one concern is the fact that Goldson seems to want far to many touches before passing the ball into the midfield.

2 hours ago, theblueskyeman said:

It’s a long way from Russell Martin 

Telling that SG has so far spent around £8m (lion's share of his spend so far) on CBs.

If you're going to win leagues you need to get the defence right and we are looking strong in there.

So far (without having been seriously tested mind you) I've been most impressed with Katic (absolute beast and first choice for me) and Edmondson (fastest and best distribution plus solid in the air and loves a tackle)

Haven't looked forward to a season as much for a long, long time

Is Goldson in there first because of his price tag and he played some EPL games? IMO he looked a bit of a liability at times last season due to his limited pace. For me, Katic is the first choice and any of the other 3 will do when all fit. Katic literally will run through brick walls and knows how to head the ball in every situation. Goldson doesn't always fill me with confidence in one on ones either. Wouldn't mind seeing what a Latic/Edmundson pairing would be like.

Have a feeling for league/Europe, it will be Goldson/Hellander and for cup games Katic/Edmundson.

I'm also leaning towards Katic and Edmundson based on actual on field performance alone, taking away price tags and reputation and ages etc.

I find it quite sad that no matter what the best pairing is that it's still going to be Goldson and Helander no matter what

1 hour ago, ForeverAndEver said:

People are basing everything on Katic winning headers, Goldson was so much better last season, and Katic hasn't looked great at all so far, today aside.

Goldson played every game when fit last season, even after he had a few stinkers he was never dropped unlike katic.