Gerrard has some serious thinking to do

sausagetrunks

16 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Actually, I could be wrong? 

Edit: Just checked, Olympiakos used 6 tonight (must be able to field another one in extra time?) and Ludogorets used 4.

That is fucking brutal, we had 5 subs available and left Itten, Kelly and Patterson on the bench while the usual suspects were doing the grand sum of fuck all 

2 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

There’s something wrong when your 2 summer signings are on the bench and are deemed not good enough to start

Who would you have started Sakala ahead of?

Morelos and Kent are nailed on for their spots if they are fit, and although it’s not saying much, Wright has been one of our brighter performers so far this season.

49 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

I think another poster nailed it in another thread. 55 was this teams Everest, especially those who have been with Gerrard from the start. Our performances in the Scottish Cup after winning the league, and the fact our players were visibly paralytic 48 hours before a winnable last 16 Europa League tie says a lot. 

It was clear our midfield needed revamped if we were to be a Champions League outfit this season. Arfield’s legs are gone and Davis is being asked to do too much without Jack. Our answer was Lundstram on a free, and we got what we deserved tonight. 

Just about hit the nail on the head mate.   We have signed 3 players all free agents.  One forward Sakala and 2 midfielders, Lundstram and Ofoborh.  Lundstram is utter mince and Ofoborh has a serious heart issue.  I obviously hope the latter gets his heart issue resolved but surely that problem would count as a failed medical?  

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Morelos and Kent are nailed on for their spots if they are fit, and although it’s not saying much, Wright has been one of our brighter performers so far this season.

I wouldn’t have started any of them that’s the problem they were bought for this game in mind, with kamara and roofe banned and the possibility of Morelos being sold, the cl games should have been a stick on for these 2 but obviously deemed not good enough

5 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Part of our problem is that certain players walk into the team no matter how bad their form.   Kent has been abysmal so far.  

Never mind formations there's so many ineffective players at the moment i reckon we'd struggle to see any cohesion or consistency with this lot they cant even get the Fucking basics right in passing or crossing never mind bond as a team given the poor performances the last 4 games.

Aribo & Kebt should definitely be dropped imo they are bringing nothing to the team its time SG started getting ruthless with them as standards are bordering on farcical only Alfredo Morelos has been the Improving player since his return even then that's him two games in what are the rest doing to justify their place Davis being the only other consistent that's a damning indictment on where the rest of that lot are physically & mentally totally unacceptable given we are four games in .

The basics appear to have been left at the front door of Auchenhowie from last season and the manger rightly carries the can for that shambles tonight I wonder does he actually have it in him or want to turn it around as some of them look as if they've jacked it & its being tolerated.

How can so much ineptitude be on show after the best part of 6 weeks together only two or three outfield players have hit any kind of form more alarmingly is the lacking  in basic skills in movement of the ball and personnel on the park that falls on the management to school this team clearly Aribo & Kent eg aren't consistent enough they've got skills but all too often its flash in the pan & in the latters case £7 million pounds is looking like daylight fucking robbery if they dont want to be here get them out the door or get them schooled in being more Aggressive in their performances its fucking powderpuff passing most of the time that goes for the majority of them the movement off the ball is another pathetic drawback no wonder Malmo made them look like has been's tonight.

In Wright & Hagi the product in basic passing is far superior over the piece although again not always consistent again management need to find a way to exploit the more consistent parts of the team in terms of creativity as this apparent acceptability of piss poor standards in passing etc is really grinding my gears in that they dont after two years or so not know how to get consistency out certain individuals the fact they look limited on the park regardless of opposition means even their first touch looks like a club footed cunt trying to trap a ball never mind using the ball effectively at their feet too often they need two or three touches to control a ball be they static or on the move then comes the easy steal for the opposition player by intercepting the ball whilst our player struggles to get the ball under control that's a consistent constant in a lot of the so called better players who were brought in in one way or another .

Too many times in Europe and more recently Domestically they've been found out by their sheer lack of maintaining their basic skills a manger should be demanding such as it comes with playing alongside each other on a regular basis their strengths and weaknesses are worked on to minimise or eradicate those basic flaws cant say I've seen anywhere near a consistent improvement in those flaws that crop up in a lot of the team they are after all what has cost us goals especially in Europe the last few seasons .

1 hour ago, SIRB_72 said:

Regarding the 4-3-3 we actually played our best football last season, especially at home, using a weird 4-4-2 with Roofe and Morelos up top. Alfie coming deep causing havoc and Roofe just waiting for the chances.

Missed Roofe tonight, although he wouldn’t have been available even if he wasnt suspended.

1 hour ago, GA1972 said:

I just can’t fathom how out of every one of those players not one of them gets sick of watching us play side to side and just tries to make something happen

All content just to pass responsibility to the full backs to rain shite cross after shite cross into the box 

The only one who made any sort of attempt to do it was 36 year old Davis. 

I wonder where we go from this point.  We need at least a couple of good players in.  Only problem is we have made some poor decisions in player acquisition.   At this juncture we are trying to off-load Hastie and Barker.  There are others whom I wouldn't have signed and who aren't good enough to get on the park as starters.  I don't rate Bassey, Simpson, Lundstram.     Itten cost approx £2.5m but is no better than Kamberi whom we could have signed for washers.   Ofoborh basically failed his medical but we still appear to have signed him.   Sakala looks nippy but I've no idea what position he is meant to play.  (To be fair he hasn't had many opportunities.)

As much as I admire Defoe, he is an expensive luxury whose salary could be better used elsewhere.

A few players need dropped, Goldson Tav, Kent and Arfield. Bring in Patterson, Katic .

McGregor

Patterson            Helander           Katic

Davis

Wright              Hagi             Kamara           Aribo

Defoe      Roofe

We need to change from 433 even the lowest of SPFL teams have worked that out we need to control the game in the midfield and give our strikers some service.

If Goldson and others want out let them go, we need 11 players on the field who want to play.

2 hours ago, sausagetrunks said:

Gerrard needs his team to go on a run starting from Friday. If it doesn’t happen he should be worried 

He should be worried the now. We haven't seen anything from this manager or team to say they can turn it around. 

Last time we were on a run like this we had 3 months off and a proper preseason to bounce back. There'll be no lockdown to help us reboot this time. 

8 hours ago, The Godfather said:

The midfield is badly unbalanced. 

Kamara and Jack totally change how we play. Arfield is a cameo player now and Aribo just isn't a central mid. 

Lundstram needs time but unless Gerrard deploys him on his best position he's not going to be doing much to improve it. 

Its not the midfield that's unbalanced, they are doing the job they are supposed to do, 

Its our one dimensional play, no matter what system or line up our opponents use we still deploy the "get it to the fullback and throw in a cross" system, malmo could have went down to 9 men last night and still kept us out because they were happy to allow us the ball at the back and out wide knowing fine well we'd just lump it into the box

United done the same at the weekend, 

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

Its not the midfield that's unbalanced, they are doing the job they are supposed to do, 

Its our one dimensional play, no matter what system or line up our opponents use we still deploy the "get it to the fullback and throw in a cross" system, malmo could have went down to 9 men last night and still kept us out because they were happy to allow us the ball at the back and out wide knowing fine well we'd just lump it into the box

United done the same at the weekend, 

Not for me. 

It's the midfeild it stems from. We need energy and drive which Davis doesn't have due to age and Arfield as a footballer and athlete is shot. That's 2 players just liking to move the ball onto other players as fast as possible. Then you have Aribo who isn't a central midfielder and when it becomes a dogfight he's nullified. 

Jack and Kamara are needed to balance it out and when both are absent out midfield is short of ideas and gets bullied. 

Guarantee when both are back in the team it improves tenfold. 

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

Not for me. 

It's the midfeild it stems from. We need energy and drive which Davis doesn't have due to age and Arfield as a footballer and athlete is shot. That's 2 players just liking to move the ball onto other players as fast as possible. Then you have Aribo who isn't a central midfielder and when it becomes a dogfight he's nullified. 

Jack and Kamara are needed to balance it out and when both are absent out midfield is short of ideas and gets bullied. 

Guarantee when both are back in the team it improves tenfold. 

Kamara played on Saturday and we created 2 shots on target, one was from our right back