Gerrard has some serious thinking to do

sausagetrunks

Just now, GaryMc said:

I'm stunned that we didn't go for it at half time.

Our midfield didn't have any energy so it was obvious we needed to change it.

I couldn't belive what I was seeing mate after the break. 1 up a extra man, we should have been all over them. Another goal and they would have been done. 

Instead we sat back and learned nothing from last week. Conceding two quick goals against the same mob twice is unforgivable 

18 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

teams are nullifying the 4-3-3 and it looks comfortable, our players look terrible, a change i needed, either the formation or Gerrard just drops at least 5-6 players. 

Best formation against a 433 is an old school 442 that plays wide.

19 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

Our tactic of lobbing in countless crosses when we need a goal relies on the full backs being in form, neither are so we really need something else

Don't know if that is a change in formation but need something different

I thought the same but Gerrard said post match that the players panicked and started playing cross after cross rather than trying to be patient and play the way they train to play.

To me it sounds like the players weren’t responding which means they need to be dropped. No more favourites no more free rides.

The play at times last year and even as recently as against Real Madrid shows that we can play fluid, attacking football and cut teams open which is all the more frustrating that we’ve had 3 defeats on the trot against teams that sit in. Last year we’d have scraped a 1-0 win or maybe a draw at worst but the defence is a major concern now. Last year goldson and helander were playing as our partnership with Tav right back and Barisic on the left, now we keep chopping and changing and it’s showing.

6 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Hagi should have been on at half time. 

Thought that as well. They’d just lost a man and would’ve been planning for us to come out with the same team.

Should’ve been making a sub, show a bit of attacking intent.

Too passive as the game goes on again and happy to stick with his starting 11 for too long.

With less subs on the bench and less to use per game it’s going to be something that will cause us much more issues this season.

19 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

4-3-3 has clearly not been working, we seem very easy to nullify. 

IMO he needs to drop players who are not cutting it, Davis is the only midfielder who is cutting it. 

id drop, tav, Barisic, Goldson, kent.....they're clearly not at it and if youre not playing well you gotta be dropped. 

Agreed, but they are favourites that I'd struggle to see him dropping. If he doesn't, they could cost him his job. The back line have been a bomb scare since the start of the season. If you cant defend first and foremost you struggle and struggle we have.

We also lack a midfield general.

It's the same system every game, continually recycling the ball with square passes. Then out to Tav and Barisic for a poor cross into the box and no one with the height to get a head on it and that's if it makes it there. No cutting edge. All very predictable and easy to shut down.

It looks as though some of our heroes of last season need to move on, for the team to move on. We cant stand still and indeed regress as we have shown thus far.

Davis is sadly part of the issue as well in midfield, although he was one of the better performers tonight. He’s not dynamic enough for me anymore, it’s all mainly square balls. Takes way too many touches before he plays generally a slow pass wide or back. He’s also not great in the defensive aspects although again I thought he was on if the better ones in that dept tonight.

I think he’s generally been a  brilliant player for us in this 2nd spell especially last year. But we need someone in there who will zip passes forward thru the lines, go past his marker okay one twos etc. We really need an upgrade in there. Would love the young Davis from first spell in there now. 

Also the rest of team need to improve their passing and make them earlier and quicker. Things like Goldsom running  10-15 yards diagonally forward to pass to Tav who is standing waiting for ball with his back to defender and no where to go but back or squad. The constant recycling of the ball amongst the back 4 is too slow. We had a shy tonight in first half, half way up their end, Borna shy’s to Aribo, who played it back to Borna who played it all the way back to Balogan to Goodson and I think we ended up losing possession in next pass or 2. Just no need.  We are far too cautious. 

8 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Arfield wasn't really doing anything of note. He stuck out like a sore thumb in needing to be subbed. We really are struggling without Kamara and Jack. 

Don't even know when Jack will be back but we need him pronto. 

Arfield is utter pish, absolute passenger. 

6 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

I couldn't belive what I was seeing mate after the break. 1 up a extra man, we should have been all over them. Another goal and they would have been done. 

Instead we sat back and learned nothing from last week. Conceding two quick goals against the same mob twice is unforgivable 

It was like the tarrier game where they had a man sent off, changed tactics, then won the game while Murty stood helpless on the sidelines.

6 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

It's embarrassing and both the players & management should be ashamed of it. 

If I'm a Malmö player coming out in the second half playing against the same 11 I'd be thinking "nothing to worry about as they have no creativity so just keep to our game plan".

If we come out with 2 more attacking players then immediately it changes their thinking.

Lethargic both on the pitch and off it.

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I said it before match.

Dropping Helander was outrageous.

The starting midfield - a near 37 year old, a 32 year old Arfield who’s barely played since last December and Joe Aribo, who lets be honest, is nowhere near a top level player.

I’d have laughed you off this board if you’d said to me after we won league that would be our starting 3 in a CL qualifier.

Also as others said we look unfit, unmotivated and also completely disorganised as a team.

We don't respond to teams who play an aggressive press against us and the last 3 games prove that.

Players who stood out last season look bereft of ideas when being pressed all over the park. Kent is one who looks lost because of it and so does Aribo. Wright wanted far too much time on the ball and looked overawed at times tonight and should've been off at half time. Arfield,,,,,,,it's just not happening anymore or at least at the moment.

Just now, GaryMc said:

It's embarrassing and both the players & management should be ashamed of it. 

If I'm a Malmö player coming out in the second half playing against the same 11 I'd be thinking "nothing to worry about as they have no creativity so just keep to our game plan".

If we come out with 2 more attacking players then immediately it changes their thinking.

Lethargic both on the pitch and off it.

Malmö players must have been delighted seeing what they did.

They should have been thinking "right we're down to 10 here they'll be coming at us quickly" instead we dropped back and let them have the ball. 

Absolutely brutal and zero excuse from us. We've had a golden chance to progress after the first half and we've fucked it. 

6 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I said it before match.

Dropping Helander was outrageous.

The starting midfield - a near 37 year old, a 32 year old Arfield who’s barely played since last December and Joe Aribo, who lets be honest, is nowhere near a top level player.

I’d have laughed you off this board if you’d said to me after we won league that would be our starting 3 in a CL qualifier.

Also as others said we look unfit, unmotivated and also completely disorganised as a team.

The time Morelos was away he came back looking leaner and fitter and he never even played a game. Something wrong in training to me........