Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

7 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Had a really successful career, played here and knows what it takes to win here, won league and cups at a decent level as a manager and his playing style is a decent fit with the one Gerrard has put in place i.e. 4-2-3-1

The question is if we can’t offer assurances of money to spend will he want to sign?

I think now Gerrard is gone the board and players will be happy for some to move on. 

I’d say to him sell who or what you want in January and we’ll reinvest roughly  half of it. Fag packet maths Kamara and Goldson bring in a combined £20m you get 6-8 to spend. 

Win the league and his transfer kitty rises significantly for the summer. 

Not sure how reliable this is...

4m

This reporting was true in the morning, and it is true now.

Quote Tweet

The 4th Official

@Official_T4O

· 11h

The release clause for any club wanting Gerrard before his contract is up is £4.5m. If you factor in the money that Aston Villa will have to spend to get Michael Beale and Gary McAllister on board as well, the figure goes up substantially. https://patreon.com/posts/inevitable-58517144…

16 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Couldn't give a fuck if he knocked us back before, he is still a shit manager. 

13 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Mate he is fucking chronic, his Aberdeen side could have won the league against Delias celtic but they bottled every important game aswell as every cup final against them....if it genuinely ends up being Mcinnes then we are fucked

Is he though? 

Promotion with St Johnstone in his first job, and kept them in the league. Knocked back WBA during that period. 

Took Bristol from bottom of the Championship on a run of eight unbeaten to stay in the league, before a dreadful run in the following season and sacking mind you.

Took the Aberdeen job and won their first silverwear in 20 years, qualified for European group football and has made multiple cup finals over that period. Finished 2nd or 3rd every year he was there from 2014 onwards until Gerrard, including finishing above us. Pumped Gerrard’s Rangers out of the cup two (or three times). Knocked us and Sunderland back. 

As I said, I don’t want him, and don’t like his style of football, but he’s nowhere near as bad as made out. 

22 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It's absolutely true. We wanted Nisbet and have done for a long time under Gerrard. We've been in contact with his agent at least twice that I know of (once at Hibs and once at Dunfermline)

Wanting him is one thing. Him being the absolute essential top target is another.

1 minute ago, frenv said:

If he does go, the timing's certainly shit but I can't begrudge him the move if it's largely based on being nearer his family. 

My main worry is just how much of the backroom staff and assistants all go with him, and potentially which players may then follow come January - that's a lot of change with just a small cushion available in the league right now.

Every single one of the backroom staff that came with him will leave with him! 

Can’t begrudge him potentially setting us back years? 

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

Is he though? 

Promotion with St Johnstone in his first job, and kept them in the league. Knocked back WBA during that period. 

Took Bristol from bottom of the Championship on a run of eight unbeaten to stay in the league, before a dreadful run in the following season and sacking mind you.

Took the Aberdeen job and won their first silverwear in 20 years, qualified for European group football and has made multiple cup finals over that period. Finished 2nd or 3rd every year he was there from 2014 onwards until Gerrard, including finishing above us. Pumped Gerrard’s Rangers out of the cup two (or three times). Knocked us and Sunderland back. 

As I said, I don’t want him, and don’t like his style of football, but he’s nowhere near as bad as made out. 

Yup. Still shit.

4 minutes ago, frenv said:

If he does go, the timing's certainly shit but I can't begrudge him the move if it's largely based on being nearer his family. He won the league we needed the most, so if he goes I wish him all the best.

My main worry is just how much of the backroom staff and assistants all go with him, and potentially which players may then follow come January - that's a lot of change with just a small cushion available in the league right now, and this season's league is arguably just as important as the last given the CL entry.

cant see villa buying many of our players?