*****The Official Borussia Dortmund vs Rangers Match Thread*****

Essandoh

11 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

Any result where the GD is 1 or less to them would be outstanding. 

Worried about Borna and Bassey, this is a big big jump for them 

How is it a big junp up for a Croatian internationalist. His form is poor at present but he has played in many big games. 

Can see it being like the Leverkusen games and we won’t get near them, it’s to be expected against a club like Dortmund.

The only chance clubs like us have against them is backs to the wall and hold out for a draw, or snatch a win from a breakaway/set piece. Unfortunately we don’t have the players to play in that manner and we haven’t done since the days of Walter. Gio couldn’t even get the players to hold onto a lead against Aberdeen or Ross County.

Of course there is always a chance our players have the game of their life and Dortmund have a stinker but it’s unlikely, especially with some key players out/not fit.

12 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Did you say the same against Villarreal, FC Porto, Benfica, Olympic Lyon? 

I’d say Leverkusen were clearly a step above those sides.

Dortmund even more so.

Lyon = Were sitting just above mid table in the French league.

Porto & Benfica = We’re in a transition period and whilst still good sides they were not the same sides that we’re making an impact in the Champions League.

Can’t really remember much  about Villarreal game to be honest.

34 minutes ago, Brubear said:

How is it a big junp up for a Croatian internationalist. His form is poor at present but he has played in many big games. 

Normally I’d agree, but Bornas struggled against almost every Scottish Prem side this season.

He’s likely coming up against Brandt and Akanji tonight…

51 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

I’d say Leverkusen were clearly a step above those sides.

Dortmund even more so.

Lyon = Were sitting just above mid table in the French league.

Porto & Benfica = We’re in a transition period and whilst still good sides they were not the same sides that we’re making an impact in the Champions League.

Can’t really remember much  about Villarreal game to be honest.

Porto made the QFs of CL the season after we played them..

Without Haaland, I expect this game to be close. We have every chance of scoring against a leaky defence.

It all depends on who our left-sided CH is and if Tav & Borna compete against their wide men.

Sands over Bassey for me and I don't think Ramsey has shown enough yet to start in this game. We will see...

I think we will compete in every other area of the park.

1-1 and then we take our chances at a packed Ibrox with Haaland returning to their line-up.

52 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

Normally I’d agree, but Bornas struggled against almost every Scottish Prem side this season.

He’s likely coming up against Brandt and Akanji tonight…

He really hasn't, over exaggeration.

Akanji is a CB, more than happy if he plays RB tbh.

7 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I’ve a wee sneaky feeling we might get a draw here, that said if we got pumped 5-0 I wouldn’t be that surprised either. 

The left side of defence is giving me the absolute fear. Hopefully Jack is fit to start. 

I’ll go with the 5-0 mate and hope to be surprised

I’m only interested in 56

30 minutes ago, JackAlex93 said:

Leverkusen were levels above the teams mentioned 

Possibly one of the best teams I've seen at Ibrox. However, I still maintain they caught us during a bad spell that season and we vastly underperformed. 

That's being said, it could be Leverkusen, Leeds or Livorno I still would not write us off before a ball is kicked. 

1 minute ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Possibly one of the best teams I've seen at Ibrox. However, I still maintain they caught us during a bad spell that season and we vastly underperformed. 

That's being said, it could be Leverkusen, Leeds or Livorno I still would not write us off before a ball is kicked. 

Also fwiw saying Leverkusen were levels above Porto Benfica etc isn't exactly accurate.

1 minute ago, GersInCanada said:

We cannot sit back and let them come at us (that's the recipe for a pumping). To get something from the game we have to be in their faces for 90 mins and apply a high press when possible. Don't let them play the way they want to.

That's not going to happen thankfully.

1 minute ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Also fwiw saying Leverkusen were levels above Porto Benfica etc isn't exactly accurate.

It is. Nobody we’ve played in Europe have come close to Leverkusen, they absolutely strolled both games without breaking a sweat