*****Official St Johnstone vs Rangers match thread*****

.Williamson.

Just now, Boybluesy said:

Thought he was pish alongside Kamara. Zero control of the midfield. 

I agree he didn't offer much going forward but his defensive cover was decent. 

Nobody covered themselves in glory tonight though.  Only pass marks for me were Bassey and Morelos. 

Shite game overall, onwards and wipe this from memory. 

If we played a better side tonight we would have dropped points again 100%, can’t just score a goal and no be bothered after that, you either get a decent half out of us or a decent 30 mins, we need to start performing for the whole game.

Just now, Malkytfp1 said:

Come on mate, that wasn't working. We got points due to an extremely poor opposition. A better team, and by better I mean at least 7 other teams in that league, punish us tonight.

We've moaned like fuck about our defence for weeks, tonight they restricted st johnstone to one shot on target, i dont care how poor the opponents are, one shot on target is good defending and thats coming from me who absolutely hates our fucking backline most days

On another day the one off the post goes in, arfield scores one of his chances and we walk away winning by 3 and talking about how good it is to score 3, its extremely fine margins but tonight we didnt look like conceding really, 

4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Just out of curiosity, what part wasnt working? The part where we were still creating stuff or the part where we restricted st johnstone to 3 shots and only one on target 

Mate, we need players to be as fresh as possible for the rest of the season. They are going to be fucked the way Gio is managing this. 

1 minute ago, Darrenmt7 said:

If we played a better side tonight we would have dropped points again 100%, can’t just score a goal and no be bothered after that, you either get a decent half out of us or a decent 30 mins, we need to start performing for the whole game.

Thankfully they were slightly worse than us on the night 

2 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Most of the anger tonight is for a clueless manager , the team were dead on their feet and changes were needed from half time.

If they were dead on their feet, how come st johnstone only had one off target attempt in the whole second half

That pitch tonight was enough to stop the best footballers ever from playing, we did enough, lets just enjoy it 

3 minutes ago, jintybear said:

I wanted him too but I don’t think he has what it takes. If we had lost tonight it would have been squarely on the managers shoulders. The players are knackered and when someone like ohalloren comes on we need someone who can keep up with his pace.

He has had to pick up a team that was losing the first goal for I think 5 games in a row and had capitulated in a semi final so it was not that great for him.

The problem is if we just turn on him so soon what happens if the next manager does no better? We would have to sack him as well.

I am not happy with how we lost points the last few games I can assure you Jinty, but I need to see what happens at the end of the season. I think the players are to blame for many of the poor results we have had, they can raise their game against better teams in Europe, but like Sat were hellish with mistakes.

Good to have a chat, and at some point I will have to assess my support for Gio if things go wrong at the season end. 

Just now, graeme_4 said:

Anyone have any idea what Gio’s style / approach is meant to be? I’m still utterly clueless about it. 

At least with the likes of Warburton you could see what he was trying. 

4231 where creativity is stifled, full backs don't get forward and we rely on Morelos for everything.

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

We've moaned like fuck about our defence for weeks, tonight they restricted st johnstone to one shot on target, i dont care how poor the opponents are, one shot on target is good defending and thats coming from me who absolutely hates our fucking backline most days

On another day the one off the post goes in, arfield scores one of his chances and we walk away winning by 3 and talking about how good it is to score 3, its extremely fine margins but tonight we didnt look like conceding really, 

Only when Tav n Greegs go Laurel and Hardy

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

St Johnstone had 3 shots. Lowest game total this season.

2 minutes ago, Darrenmt7 said:

Thats completw guesswork, aside from hitting the target in the second half we completely controlled the narrative of the game 

It wasnt the best, im not gonna lie about that we could be better, but the way people are going on its like st johnstone dominated us, 

3 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

3 points in the bag,  same again Saturday Rangers,  This is still in our hands. 

It’s not pretty but all that matters now is the points 

Agreed. 
I’m on nights tonight so just been be dipping in and out the thread. Without the benefit of knowing the score I would have sworn we took an absolute pasting with only luck stopping us conceding 3 or 4.

Then I look at the stats which say they had one fucking shot on target against and think wtf have I been reading.

Some people need to chill out at times and accept the win.

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

How did they outplay us, we had more possession, they only had 3 shots, thats one every half hour and only one of them on target 

meant the wee passages of interplay where they looked more comfortable than us. They are piss poor up front and created little, but you could see there was some quick feet in midfield, they seemed to come away with the ball a lot more than the likes of Scumdee utd or motherwell tarriers

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

If they were dead on their feet, how come st johnstone only had one off target attempt in the whole second half

That pitch tonight was enough to stop the best footballers ever from playing, we did enough, lets just enjoy it 

You dont think most of that team looked knackered there ? You and GVB are the only two I know of that have that opinion. We were up against fuck all tonight , all five subs should have been used. The pitch is just a ridiculous excuse for a shocking performance from a manager of ours.

5 minutes ago, MVRanger said:

Hard to believe but we were actually one bad bounce away from the league title being as good as over... Really hope we can rally now for the next few games but surely we need to be using our subs better at this stage of the season.

Agree 100%. Arfield looks shattered. Sakala or Wright should have replaced him at halftime but thankfully GVB khonws his squad better that I do.

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Just out of curiosity, what part wasnt working? The part where we were still creating stuff or the part where we restricted st johnstone to 3 shots and only one on target 

The part where we couldn't hold on to the ball for more than 5 seconds/string 4 passes together against an absolutely dugshite side or the fact Arfield was blowing out his arse and Aribo was wank, yet not 1 sub.

We might have created a few half chances but overall that was an abysmal performance against utter shite. That level of performance will cost us more often than not.

We never looked like scoring a second. Huffed and puffed through that entire game.

I am however delighted to leave with 3 points.