Goldson

6superbarry6

20 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I wasnt, since he's been here ive thought he is vastly overrated and was protected by gerrard when others were thrown under a bus for similar or less

He isnt anywhere near as good as people say

Nobody makes him out to be a world beater, though. He's a good, not brilliant, CB and a strong leader, that's all.

Any more he wouldn't be playing at us.

11 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Stupid comment. How can he be better when he’s injured all the time?

two players are not comparable when one is fucked 3/4 of the time.  

Pull your neck in, it's not stupid at all to objectively judge the skills and abilities of one player against the other.

The injury prone one may be less valuable to the team for that reason but that's not the same as being the "better" player.

4 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Pull your neck in, it's not stupid at all to objectively judge the skills and abilities of one player against the other.

The injury prone one may be less valuable to the team for that reason but that's not the same as being the "better" player.

You need to see the player in the round. Not just whose better at keepy ups 

that is when “better” is better 

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

Fickle as fuck. We were all creaming when he re-signed. 

Golden is an asset. He isn't the problem. Any CB better than him wouldn't be here for long.

Not all of us mate. I wasnt part of the circle jerk when we re-signed him. Frankly, I wanted him gone, and wanted us to go after the big Dutch lad. 

13 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

You need to see the player in the round. Not just whose better at keepy ups 

that is when “better” is better 

Utter pish. A player is better because they are a more skillful and effective player.  Injuries don't come into it. 

1 hour ago, LegendofCoop said:

I think him not having a dedicated CB partner is a big part of our problem. He's trying to do the work of two at times with having a DM as a makeshift CB. It worked last season when we had Lundstram and Bassey in there. Sands can't do the same as Lundstram. 

I honestly can't see why we haven't even considered Katic at the back. Goldson then concentrates on his own game, and 100%, Katic clears balls such as the one Goldson shat out of. 

I’m sure there’s something in your main point about a settled partner.

But he could have had Baresi or Maldini next to him today & he’d have still flinched away from that shot.

18 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Utter pish. A player is better because they are a more skillful and effective player.  Injuries don't come into it. 

So wait……. “more effective” how can he be more effective lying on the physio bench. 

my point stands, the better player is the fittest, most consistent, skillfull, reader of the game. 

not one that turns up whenever he is fit, needs time to get match aware, then gets injured again three games later and rinse and repeat. 

Helander has played 35 times in three years.
Goldson 137 in four  

Goldson is far the best defender we have.  

10 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

So wait……. “more effective” how can he be more effective lying on the physio bench. 

my point stands, the better player is the fittest, most consistent, skillfull, reader of the game. 

not one that turns up whenever he is fit, needs time to get match aware, then gets injured again three games later and rinse and repeat. 

Helander has played 35 times in three years.
Goldson 137 in four  

Goldson is far the best defender we have.  

Nonsense. A player being durable doesn't make them a better player. 

Just saw this angle from the Rangers end, doesn't cover Goldson or McLaughlin in any glory.

Plus I'll never understand folk taking videos when we're defending a corner/freekick/attack in injury time when clinging onto a result, I'm a nervous wreck.

I like Goldson a lot but I really need my main CB, one of the senior players in injury time, backs to the wall to throw himself in front of that ball, I can’t stand that it’s really frustrating especially when every fan standing in the ground does it 100 times over. 

He hasn’t started the season well, Sands has been our best CB so far

2 hours ago, Lord Lockin said:

You sound like Goldson, everybody's fault accept his  

Think about it and it is correct that Our sitting midfielders are not covering when Tav goes forward resulting in Goodson trying to play both positions. Jack is clearly struggling with fitness and Matondo just seems incapable of tracking back.

12 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

You’re letting me down by going to this pish again, Jim 

Mate he's done nothing to change my opinion, and im certainly not going to change it for this place, i died on a hill about souttar in jan when we were linked with him, said he'd be 3rd or 4th choice at best when fit, 

Goldson has never impressed me for a run of time, and that fucking cruyff turn in his own box at home to hamilton that got us beat was just fucking atrocious 

Goldson played fine on the whole yesterday. His interceptions were good, his passing fine, generally looked to make play go forward, won his duels. Still our best CH and the one who takes responsibility most.

Sands kept it simpler and on the whole played well too. Very good reading of plays and athletic with interceptions, snuffing out danger. His passing was safe, mostly to Goldson, Borna,which is fine but both CHs being as sideways in our passing results in USG away performances.  Don't think he's the long term solution but he's improving well.

Can't ignore their involvement in goals tho. Goldson cant flinch away from that, he needs to get his head in the way of the shot. Sands was out of line with other defenders playing Hivs player onside, then let Boyle get from behind him to the front post to score.

Plenty on here have made their minds up on both, for good and bad. But truth is both can play well but can also deserve criticism not just yesterday but so far defensively.

7 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

If goldson is still our number 1 cb it's unlikely our defence will improve from previous seasons 

We need a settled pairing. Any CH needs a settled partner to get to best form because it becomes instinctive.

I'm no huge fan of Sands, but part of me would rather it remained him as he's improvung and is the only one staying fit and I'd rather build on that than chopping and changing all season. 

Souttar will always have injury issues. Davies had started off with injury issues. Helander imo will take ages to return to match sharpness and even then he's no stranger to the physios. King seems to be overly protected which makes me think Gio doesn't see him ready for a run in the 1st team yet (if he's not capable he shouldn't be there if our other CHs are injury prone).

It's a shit show.

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

We need a settled pairing. Any CH needs a settled partner to get to best form because it becomes instinctive.

I'm no huge fan of Sands, but part of me would rather it remained him as he's improvung and is the only one staying fit and I'd rather build on that than chopping and changing all season. 

Souttar will always have injury issues. Davies had started off with injury issues. Helander imo will take ages to return to match sharpness and even then he's no stranger to the physios. King seems to be overly protected which makes me think Gio doesn't see him ready for a run in the 1st team yet (if he's not capable he shouldn't be there if our other CHs are injury prone).

It's a shit show.

Sands has looked our best defender in the last two games. he reads the game well, he's been levels above the others. 

9 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

Sands has looked our best defender in the last two games. he reads the game well, he's been levels above the others. 

I get that pov. I just see him as taking the safe option especially yesterday with the ball at his feet. In terms of defending attacks he's looking stronger.

But he'd as much involvement in goals against as Goldson yesterday.

I'm not sure if he was to be continually rotating with other CHs or being asked to be the experienced one alongside King for an extended period that it would be good for us. I think Goldson taking responsibility is helping Sands do what he's doing (simple and safe) effectively.

17 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Sands was far better than Goldson today, I’d like to see him get a run at the RCB position when Davies is back 

Unfort will be gios downfall. Goldson wont drop out because his 4 years of no injuries has gave him this undroppsble status.