Ross Wilson

SkylineBlue

9 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Its ridiculous , no strong willed manager would ever put up with anybody else buying him players , its his neck on the line not Wilsons. Said it from day one we have never needed a DOF , its a complete waste of cash , something the clowns that run the club are experts at.

That's what I'm asking.  I'd find it hard to believe that Wilson just buys players without consulting the manager . I'm assuming there's dialogue going on .

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It’s literally how clubs everywhere operate. Guardiola, Klopp, etc all work under similar set ups. 

They do & so do the tarriers but there is a clear disconnect between our setup

Guardiola/Klopp are clearly in a different market but even their signings make sense, players they've seen personally in leagues they've managed or even worked with

For the tarriers it's the same, players the manager worked with or has seen up close with the odd random signing likely suggested by somebody else 

We seem to be the opposite, we sign players that Gio won't have seen personally & generally make no sense 

3 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I don’t particularly think the celtic manager works exclusively under it. There’s not a chance the 4 players from the Japanese league, Giakoumakis (Greek) were scouted by a DOF at them. He’s had a little bit of freedom and it shows when you trust your manager they usually get it right over some no mark who hasn’t kicked a ball in his life like Ross Wilson. 

Guys worked in that league , obviously knew what players stood out and wanted the good ones and got them. Its what a good manager does in todays game. Its mental to have somebody else signing players and its your neck thats on the line.

4 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I don’t particularly think the celtic manager works exclusively under it. There’s not a chance the 4 players from the Japanese league, Giakoumakis (Greek) were scouted by a DOF at them. He’s had a little bit of freedom and it shows when you trust your manager they usually get it right over some no mark who hasn’t kicked a ball in his life like Ross Wilson. 

I've always assumed that's the way it works at Ibrox as well . It's really the only way it can work .

13 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

We dont need a DOF , we have never needed one and we certainly dont need one as bad as this useless prick.

Makes you wonder how any manager with a bit of bottle would agree to somebody else scouting players for his team , when its him thats going to be blamed when they fail and him thats losing his job because of it.

I think that's the main reason Gerrard jumped ship.

13 hours ago, Lord Lockin said:

I've always wondered where this position appeared from, and your right about any manager allowing this - you hear of managers getting sacked never DOF - a fuckin nothing position 

We got a DOF because we were lumbered with Pedro’s Mexican shite after he left. The board didn’t want that to happen again with every new manager. 

Just now, OhW said:

We got a DOF because we were lumbered with Pedro’s Mexican shite after he left. The board didn’t want that to happen again with every new manager. 

They approached Ross Wilson before they approached Pedro. Wilson knocked us back then we changed tact and hired Pedro.

Regardless of DOF or not any manager should have a consise player profile. If the DOF can't get exactly what the manger is looking for then you don't just sign someone for the sake of it. Matondo, signed as a winger and the games played so far he has been moved in a bit narrower with Tav overlapping him. Hagi is another, signed as a midfielder or number 10 and pushed to right-hand of a front three. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

They approached Ross Wilson before they approached Pedro. Wilson knocked us back then we changed tact and hired Pedro.

Yeah actually I remember that now. Signing Pedro then getting Mark Allan afterwards which was strange. All the talk from Mark Allan about signing players right for Rangers must have been after Pedro was sacked.  

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Our biggest problem is we have a real problem spending money on first-team starters. We’ll spend on ‘prospects’ hoping we can cash in down the line but there’s a massive gamble built in to that. Cheating out and relying on Bosmans/cheap deals for the more senior signings leaves us looking at guys who might not have been in great form or guys who just don’t tend to do it consistently.

It's similar to what they've done though, they signed cunts like Abada/O'Reilly for similar prices to Ridvan/Matondo, similar ages aswell, they either have more balls to just play them and see what happens (only way they're going to settle) or their recruitment is light years ahead of ours

For me most of the signings don't look like Gio's, no excuse for the results though as he's got a better team than that showing yesterday but there seems to be a complete disconnect 

If Gio is happy to be the nodding yes man that the board want while they bring in players like Souttar, Davies, Lawrence, Colak & take the even cheaper options on McLaughlin, Davis, Arfield etc then he'll be out the door very soon.

2 minutes ago, OhW said:

Yeah actually I remember that now. Signing Pedro then getting Mark Allan afterwards which was strange. All the talk from Mark Allan about signing players right for Rangers must have been after Pedro was sacked.  

Aye, Allen was down the list. Wilson was the first choice and when he knocked us back, we let Dougie Park’s boy pick as a favour to a pal

28 million commercial sales says bisgrove, made more Money getting to Europa final says Robertson circa 30 million, 20 million season ticket money, over 40 million on player sales in past 12 months, spent 13 million on new players and the cunt hasn't addressed the problem position's properly, he has a lot to answer for. 

16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Not getting money he wanted to spend on players is the reason.

Agree but is it not the DOF who presents the board with the player budget he thinks necessary to deliver success? So Gerrard came into conflict with the board and by inference Wilson.

1 minute ago, bassettger said:

Agree but is it not the DOF who presents the board with the player budget he thinks necessary to deliver success? So Gerrard came into conflict with the board and by inference Wilson.

To a point but it was the structure in place when Gerrard took the job and is the structure he, by all accounts, prefers to work under. Most ‘managers’ nowadays aren’t the same as managers 30 years ago. They are more head coaches than anything else. 

37 minutes ago, OhW said:

Well it's back fired big time the amount of shite that's at or been at the club since Wilson's arrival out ways Pedro's by a mile

The issue appears to be the lack of communication between Wilson and the management team. Most of the top managers appear to work under a DoF, but they appear to have some sort of line of communication whereby they recruit players that fit a profile according to the style of play the manager uses, or are players that the manager is familiar with. You look at the likes of them, and Leeds in particular, who have signed a mix of players the manager knows and trusts, players who will fit into his system, and players closer to home. 

With this in mind, Wilson should be expanding his scouting to China and to Holland in particular, and utilising the knowledge base of the current management team rather than just fishing predominantly in the overblown market that is England (although two of our biggest sales have come from there, there have been more misses than hits). 

There doesn't appear to be a coherent strategy or a partnership between the DoF and the manager, and that worries me enormously.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Lawwell’s boy has largely the same role in transfers and recruitment at Celtic as Ross Wilson does here. 

Yes but my point was there’s not a chance he knew about the 4 Japanese signings and Giakoumakis. That clearly came from the celtic manager and he was backed and trusted. 

I personally think GVB has very little say. 

You can mabye give him some slack on the signings, the end of the transfer market we are in is difficult and some luck is needed. If it was Wilson who pushed for the contract extensions of our older players then that is grim, it was clear to see they had gave there all to our cause and it was time to move on or retire, he has actually shafted the players they should have been leaving on a high of a euro final and scottish cup win.

l

Wilson is one of the first to talk about “the model” of selling players to be self sustainable.

Wilson also played a role in giving five players with an average age of 33, and next to no resale value between them, new deals this Summer.

Somebody make it make sense.