Giovanni van Bronckhorst - Sacked.

The Dude

He wasn't assertive enough with the signing policy and he must of known that keeping McGregor, Davis, Arfield and some of the signings were going to bite him. Came out with happy with the squad sound bites when others may of made public comments to pressure the board in the run to the window closing.

The “sorry it didn’t work out” narrative is probably because GVB was many people’s choice for the job. Mine included. I wanted him appointed and felt he would be brilliant for us 

he has been a disaster. He has also been ridiculously unlucky with injuries but that shouldn’t detract from how bad he has been. He has not been able to get a tune out of any player, his interviews have been insipid and depressing and the regression under him has been palpable. 

I agree there are bigger problems at the club but we need a manager that can work with the resources he has. I don’t know who that is but surely the club have someone lined up. 

14 minutes ago, the goal machine said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Russell Martin or Kevin Muscat. 

Need to aim far higher than that. 

If we're going down the 'up and coming' route while they have experience and a bigger/better squad than us then it's a long 2nd half of the season to come. 

8 minutes ago, the goal machine said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Russell Martin or Kevin Muscat. 

I would, both require compensation to get them.

Last time around we got Gio (free) after Gerrard left(~£5m in), I can’t see us now paying off Gio and coaching staff (£~4m) to then go and pay compensation to bring someone else in.

For what it’s worth I think the muscat story is just lazy journalism, there are too many things that could go wrong with that sort of appointment, plus the negative press of appointing fatman’s understudy as our manager installs an inferiority complex from the get go.

Martin is more likely however he still has 18 months left on his contract (so that could be around £1m to buy that out?).

Without guaranteeing funds to a new manager it’s now going to be tedescos or hasenhuttls, so that means you need to get someone who has been out of work for a bit and good at working with what they have in front of them.