Graeme Souness Charity Swim for DEBRA.

Canabear

Heartbreaking that.

Hopefully we can donate what we can and Souness inspires some wealthy names who can put a good wedge into this.

No adult should have to live through that never mind a child. 

2 hours ago, Bobby Hume said:

He's one of the strongest people mentally and physically that I have ever known ... yet this horrendous disease reduces him to unashamed tears. 

On the park he was a cross between a lion and a raging bull .... but in the company of this young lassie he is a gentle giant of a man with compassion second to none.

I wish him and his charity team all the very best in their endeavours to reduce the suffering of the recipients of this life destroying disease.

The old saying ... "There but for the grace of God go I" comes readily to mind in situations like this.

Well done GS ... the original magnificent bastard.

🇬🇧

I have been thinking about something to say about what Graeme is doing to help raise money for this hellish condition, which to be honest I knew very little about until today.

After reading your post mate I could not put it better, I am sure many of us and thousands more will support this really worthwhile cause.  :thumbup:

3 hours ago, Bears r us said:

Donated. 

I really hope Souness realises what swimming the channel actually means. My 30 year old daughter is doing it in August this year to raise money for the Brain Tumour Charity as my wife, her mother, had a brain tumour last year. Thankfully sucessfully operated on and my wife is on the mend. 

The point is my daughter swam competitively to a reasonably high level from the age of 8 through to end of university. Even so she has been going through a rigourous training regime for the last 8 months in preparation for her swim.  She has just completed a 6 hour open water swim to gain a certificate that is required before you are allowed to attempt a channel swim. This is not like running a marathon, less than 2000 people have ever done it. 

I wish Graeme all the best in this venture but as a 70 year old, with previous health issues and I guess limited swimming experience he may find he is not allowed to do this. 

12 hours ago, Brubear said:

I really hope Souness realises what swimming the channel actually means. My 30 year old daughter is doing it in August this year to raise money for the Brain Tumour Charity as my wife, her mother, had a brain tumour last year. Thankfully sucessfully operated on and my wife is on the mend. 

The point is my daughter swam competitively to a reasonably high level from the age of 8 through to end of university. Even so she has been going through a rigourous training regime for the last 8 months in preparation for her swim.  She has just completed a 6 hour open water swim to gain a certificate that is required before you are allowed to attempt a channel swim. This is not like running a marathon, less than 2000 people have ever done it. 

I wish Graeme all the best in this venture but as a 70 year old, with previous health issues and I guess limited swimming experience he may find he is not allowed to do this. 

Glad to hear your wife is on the mend, and well done to your daughter.

I get what you are saying because as someone who is 5 week younger than Graeme I have no idrea how he can do it, but I also think he is part of a 'team' and maybe they take turns at swimming rather than do the full distance, but I am guessing and could well be wrong about that. 

What I will say is that the publicity Graeme will get for this hellish condition will be huge, and I hope he can cope with whatever he is taking on. 

2 hours ago, Bears r us said:

I get what you are saying because as someone who is 5 week younger than Graeme I have no idrea how he can di it, but I also think he is part of a 'team' and maybe they take turns at swimming rather than do the full distance, but I am guessing and could well be wrong about that. 

What I will say is that the publicity Graeme will get for this hellish condition will be huge, and I hope he can cope with whatever he is taking on. 

Good post.

I agree Bud .... looks like the most sensible and practical approach ... considering his past medical record ... but in saying that he does look like he has been keeping himself pretty fit so it should be achievable regardless of his age I would think .... he will also know what he can do physically and not put himself in any danger health wise.

With the mental image of the abject pain young Isla has to bear on a daily basis as a motive .... I believe Graeme will glide through this challenge unscathed compared to what she has to suffer.

🇬🇧

23 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

Good post.

I agree Bud .... looks like the most sensible and practical approach ... considering his past medical record ... but in saying that he does look like he has been keeping himself pretty fit so it should be achievable regardless of his age I would think .... he will also know what he can do physically and not put himself in any danger health wise.

With the mental image of the abject pain young Isla has to bear on a daily basis as a motive .... I believe Graeme will glide through this challenge unscathed compared to what she has to suffer.

🇬🇧

:cheers:

I agree he will know what he is able to do, and we all wish him and his team the very best. 

2 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

It’s a relay swim so he’ll do a spell and then someone else will take a turn. He won’t swim the full 21 miles.

Still a huge effort and his name alone has probably doubled the money raised.

Complete hero.

👏👏👏

Indeed mate,

The tally has went from ± £200,000 to ±£322,000 since yesterday ..... so I think GS being involved is the trump card that will swing to the positive for DEBRA and get well needed recognition and funds that will help the people who are suffering from EB.

I will repeat your description of the magnificent bastard ... "Complete Hero" indeed.

🇬🇧

3 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

It’s a relay swim so he’ll do a spell and then someone else will take a turn. He won’t swim the full 21 miles.

Complete hero.

👏👏👏

Thanks for confirming that mate, and as you say his name alone will be a massive help to at least doubling the money raised.

I have always been a great fan of Graeme and this is such a wonderful thing for him to do. 

11 hours ago, Bears r us said:

I get what you are saying because as someone who is 5 week younger than Graeme I have no idrea how he can do it, but I also think he is part of a 'team' and maybe they take turns at swimming rather than do the full distance, but I am guessing and could well be wrong about that. 

I understand now that it is as part of a team which makes it more manageable but still a major undertaking. I wish him well and as you say his profile is great to bring publicity to an awful condition that no one deserves to endure. 

8 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

Complete hero.

👏👏👏

I ubderstand now it is part of a team, but still a major undertaking and a I wish him well. 

34 minutes ago, Brubear said:

I understand now that it is as part of a team which makes it more manageable but still a major undertaking. I wish him well and as you say his profile is great to bring publicity to an awful condition that no one deserves to endure. 

No problem mate, just great he is fronting this to help raise so much money. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Donated and 80% of the target met at £879,790.62 👏👏👏

https://donate.giveasyoulive.com/fundraising/debraswim

@GabrielTomato not sure if it’s worth changing the title to give it a little more pull to the thread eg Graeme Souness swimming the English Channel for DEBRA