*****Official Rangers vs Servette match thread*****

.Williamson.

5 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

A defensive right footed left back in a set up that aims for most of its attacking play to be from high full backs?

Lammers and Danilo are likely to be mainly positioned within the width of the penalty box rather than where you have them out on the wing too.

Only picked Sterling because I don’t ever want to see Barisic play for us again, and he’s the only fit option. He played a decent amount of games at left back last season so not totally alien to him. 

I also said I’d have Danilo, Lammers and Cantwell playing closer to Dessers than the actually tactic showed. That shape was as close as I could get on the site I used for the graphic. 

2 minutes ago, SPWF said:

Only picked Sterling because I don’t ever want to see Barisic play for us again, and he’s the only fit option. He played a decent amount of games at left back last season so not totally alien to him. 

I also said I’d have Danilo, Lammers and Cantwell playing closer to Dessers than the actually tactic showed. That shape was as close as I could get on the site I used for the graphic. 

Ok fair enough.

Not sure I see Sterling in Beale’s system the way he sets up his full backs but I suppose we’ll see at some point.

Haven’t seen enough of Danilo to know what position he’s best in, think his YT reel suggests more as a ‘9’ than as a left sided ‘10’. 

A lot of this has the feel to me that Beale has signed round pegs for square holes. Bar Dessers most of the other forward players aren’t really going to be played in their ‘best’ positions.

7 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Ok fair enough.

Not sure I see Sterling in Beale’s system the way he sets up his full backs but I suppose we’ll see at some point.

Haven’t seen enough of Danilo to know what position he’s best in, think his YT reel suggests more as a ‘9’ than as a left sided ‘10’. 

A lot of this has the feel to me that Beale has signed round pegs for square holes. Bar Dessers most of the other forward players aren’t really going to be played in their ‘best’ positions.

The money we’ve paid for Danilo, Dessers and Lammers we’re going to to have to find a way for them all the play. We can’t have that sort of cash sitting on the bench. 

40 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Drop any more points before the old firm and he's done. 

The board backed him this Summer. Do you honestly think they’d sack him on the back of a couple of bad results when a new team is being constructed and the players still don’t know each other?

Anyway, looks like it’ll be PSV if we manage to get past this round. Can’t see us getting into the CL this year unless the team really starts to click soon. Tall order given our better players are moving out or have already gone and their replacements are still untried (with us)

6 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

The board backed him this Summer. Do you honestly think they’d sack him on the back of a couple of bad results when a new team is being constructed and the players still don’t know each other?

Anyway, looks like it’ll be PSV if we manage to get past this round. Can’t see us getting into the CL this year unless the team really starts to click soon. Tall order given our better players are moving out or have already gone and their replacements are still untried (with us)

Its not a new team, its a new front line, 

With everyone fit he'll likely use tav, goldson, souttar/balogun, yilmaz/barisic, raskin, and maybe cantwell

Thats 5 or 6 guys here since jan or a lot longer 

The last manager made a summer profit, started a rebuild, got the CL group stages, and suffered a horrendous injury list, yet his first bad month results wise seen him bagged

27 minutes ago, The true baller said:

People are aware this mob have about 5 players missing? The talent disparity will show tonight on an actual football pitch.

Had a Rangers podcast on this morning on the way to work and they were saying it was 7 as one of their Russian players got a knock back from getting in the country. Surely to fuck we should be able to get a decent lead going over there next week. 

10 hours ago, SkylineBlue said:

I dont think anyone has said it's his first game. They are saying it's the first game of the season and the first game following a massive rebuilding job.  The problem is it looks like he's done a really shite job.

There’s people on Twitter going on about Rodgers and Postecoglus first games and comparing it to Saturday for Beale. 

56 minutes ago, The true baller said:

People are aware this mob have about 5 players missing? The talent disparity will show tonight on an actual football pitch.

26 minutes ago, B1872 said:

Had a Rangers podcast on this morning on the way to work and they were saying it was 7 as one of their Russian players got a knock back from getting in the country. Surely to fuck we should be able to get a decent lead going over there next week. 

See to be honest if we can't beat this team over the course of 2 games, we really shouldn't be in this competition imo 👍 with all due respect to this team but it is not a mountain to far 💙 come on Ramgers 🇬🇧

Didn't manage to get to any of the pre-season games, so looking forward to being back home twice this week.

Hoping we get a reaction from the team, hoping it's also the last time for a good few months that any of us are posting saying we need to get a "reaction" from the team.

1 minute ago, SkylineBlue said:

Again, I've only ever seen that used in the context of a rebuild for Postecoglou.

There’s 3 it’s similar to and that’s advocaat, strachan and that fat dick, where it’s not similar is that the manager here was already in place 

I'm torn as to what will happen tonight, will we come out looking an entirely different side and comfortable winners (e.g. 2 goals first half) OR will we again bewilder anyone with eyes make heavy weather of it and make a trip to Switzerland with a 0-0/narrow 1-0 lead?!

There is an argument for not showing your hand when you have cut so many corners on the transfer business/coaching side of things that you need any advantage you can get to ensure we land the cash. So that adds fuel to the belief it'll be more turgid stuff with perhaps a single goal to the good at best.

There is also good reason to believe that the 'play weak when your strong' tactics is giving our management far too much credit and it's purely the coping mechanism of fans watching us descend to mediocrity in a number of respects.

The thing which I think needs to be recognized by our fans and the board is that for 2 full years Champions League money has been sitting there to be taken multiple times via different qualifications and we have been completely unprepared and ill-equipped to grab it despite knowing months in advance the task at hand. We did take one of those many chances but in honesty were unbelievably lucky to attain it via qualifying rounds last season. When you acknowledge those facts and our failure to cash in on investments at peak value  it makes our signing policy/fees/seeming penny-pinching mentality utterly incomprehensible. 

For me our general approach to tonight should be Cifuentes and Danilo to start, Dessers to be a nuisance and keep the big defensive guns busy to allow Danilo to poach goals, everyone pass the ball to Cifuentes who has the mandate of box to box and bully everycunt. Drive the ball through the middle, 1-2's and cutbacks on the deck if coming from out wide, no fucking high-crossballs to this imaginary world class header of the ball we have been aiming to every week for years - the only guys in our team recognised for heading ability in any way are Goldson and Soutar so it's a nonsense and it has to stop, it's actually a recognized weakness of Dessers and the supposed CB Davies (digression - surely that means he's not a CB?!

No one will be surprised though to see us to again churn out a bizarre team selection and turgid performance against "inferior" opposition that rules out ever making a profit on the broken toys we are signing for seemingly that express purpose.

Blue tinted specs on, Beale does some version of what I've suggested and we win summit like 4-1, Danilo 2 goals over 90.