Steven Davis: Interim Manager

Broxi

Just now, RFC55 said:

There’s definitely positives to people like that around the club.

but the usual pining for him, he will show the players, souness will kick baws, he’d show the SFA, it’s absolute nonsense. 

People wanting him on the training ground and screaming at players as if we are going to turn into a winning machine are living on another planet.

Agree with that 100% :lol: 

9 hours ago, RFC55 said:

There’s definitely positives to people like that around the club.

but the usual pining for him, he will show the players, souness will kick baws, he’d show the SFA, it’s absolute nonsense. 

People wanting him on the training ground and screaming at players as if we are going to turn into a winning machine are living on another planet.

Wether people like it or not, that sort of approach simply won’t work with a modern footballer anyway. 

9 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I think the only thing I would like Souness, or even Alex McLeish if his health allowed it, to do is be an advisor to the board in some form or fashion purely because they would give them a footballing persons perspective to bounce ideas off of.

Interestingly Ajax, who seem to be more of a shit show than we are, have have just appointed Louis Van Gaal to be a footballing advisor to their board and I think that’s the sort of role that either a Souness or a McLeish (again health dependent) could be invaluable for to us right now.

Would I trust then to be able to identify and come with a shortlist of managers or players to the board who he thinks we should sign? Probably not, no. Would I trust their ability to lean into their experience and ask good questions during shortlisting or an interview process for mangers, or during talks with players, that would help them quickly weed out the wetwipe types who talk a good game, but don’t have the backbone, mentality or character for it? Absolutely.

I get that they have both been out of the game for a long time, but I think that fundamentally the mentality and traits needed to either play for or manage the club haven’t changed and, sadly, the list of people who have experienced that first hand is starting to shrink, so if they are willing to help we should value and consider the advice of people who have experienced it first hand while we can.

thats what i think souness was wanting but its been spun that he wanted to be the DOF

17 hours ago, bassettger said:

I think Steven Davis seems a real gentleman and he has been a great player for Rangers. Can't see him getting to grips with the lack of drive within this squad in the short term. Has all the hallmarks of a scout outing to Cyprus. Hope I am wrong.

BB would be better & more appropriate.

If I was in Davis's shoes right now I'd operate on an absolute policy of being dropped until you earn your place back for any poor performers. Too many are in that starting line up are there just because they are the biggest names and are coasting. Anyone not giving every last scrap of 100% needs dropped and if it means we get to Xmas playing youths plus cantwell, butland and roofe/danilo then so be it.